• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts from a first timer....

andrewellis52

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2012 will be my first
Got back from my first (but definitely not last) Camino over the weekend. You people on this forum were so great with advice so I just wanted to let you know how I found it all in the hope that it may help some others.

I walked from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago over an unseasonably wet 8 days in March and had a wonderful time. Here are a few thoughts that I hope somebody somewhere will find useful.

The first step - I was thinking about walking the Camino for ages and weighing up when would be the best time to do it. My simple recommendation to anybody considering it is to just do it. You will have an amazing time and I would recommend making the first step to booking it as soon as you have the desire. It's pretty easy to pick up the route and get the hang of Albergue's etc so everything will likely flow once you make the first step.

People - I met some amazing people on route, both other pilgrims as well as people in the various towns / villages and working along route. People were always kind and helpful and I enjoyed meeting so many new friends. I was walking alone and it was very easy to speak with people when you wanted but have time alone when you needed.

Langauge - I speak very little / no Spanish. People were wonderfully kind to me and spoke in English to me for which I am grateful (and a little embarrassed). You can certainly get by with no Spanish but will get a lot more out of the Camino by learning a few basics so I really would recommend it where possible.

Walking - I found the walk itself just difficult enough to be rewarding physically (I'm 33 and quite fit) but easy enough that I always enjoyed myself. The stretch that I did was really beautiful and I was in love with the wonderful scenery.

Food and drink - this part of Spain has wonderful food and wine. If you enjoy food and drink then you will certainly enjoy this part of Spain. I also found most places very reasonably priced compared to what I am used to.

Weather - I was unlucky in that I walked during an unseasonably wet period of time. I had snow a couple of times and persistent rain but I still LOVED IT. Don't let weather put you off. If you have the right gear then it should not ruin your enjoyment of a brilliant walk.

Arrival in Santiago - The one thing that I would maybe change would be to give myself the day and night on the day that I arrived in Santiago. I left early to go and watch some football but it meant that I missed out on celebrating my arrival with some of my new friends that I has met on the way. I made up for it the next day in Santiago and still managed to celebrate with some fine folks but it is worth taking some time in Santiago to come to terms with what you have achieved. It may be a happy moment, an emotional moment but give yourself time to embrace how you feel.

Albergues - I stayed in a variety (private and municipal). The municipal ones were all fine but on average the private ones were maybe slightly better. The municipal one in Ribadiso is beautiful and recommended.

Overall - one of the best things that I have done and I cannot wait until me next one. Would recommend it to everybody.

Thanks to all for your advice x

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Great bits of perspective here Andrew. Thanks for these. I will always appreciate those who return to any travel forum to extend the helping hand to any of us trying to learn more. Good on you for doing this.

May you return again soon. Well deserved.

Cheers,
SImeon

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back