• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on my next camino

S

Sojourner47

As I plan the next leg of my Camino Frances (pick up at Najera next week for another 7 days walking), I muse on the reasons I felt so deprived of human contact last time. As I have posted, very few others were walking alone, and the majority of couples/small groups tended to keep to themselves, largely sidelining the singleton. Apart from not being the world's greatest extrovert (lol), I think that as at the time I was somewhat short of funds, hoping to reach Santiago on a small amount of money, I missed out on some nightly outings for a menu dal dia, settling instead for bread and cheese from the local shop, in isolation, rather than perhaps joining a group heading for the local bar, and maybe good conversation and good times. This worked OK on the Ingles, where there were very few others walking, so I didn't feel "left out" as I did on the Frances.
Next week I am fortunately not so skint,and will be able to indulge a little, so it will be interesting to see if my theory holds out. :D
I post this merely as a subjective experience, which will probably be of no use to anyone else - but maybe it's better to do a shorter walk with a bit more money, than try to do too much with too little.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have a vino tinto on me!
Maybe most people will probably be very welcoming if you can bring yourself to just ask "What are you doing for food/drink? Mind if I join you"
Buen Camino from an envious someone stuck at home

Sojourner47 said:
As I have posted, very few others were walking alone, and the majority of couples/small groups tended to keep to themselves, largely sidelining the singleton.

I always start out walking alone and have very rarely felt sidelined by couples or small groups. Very often the small groups have turned out to be composed of people who started out walking alone and sometimes I join the group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
i think that's a very good idea. My first camino I ate most meals at the albergue; the next one I ate out often and had fun every meal. AND I felt that it wasn't really that much more expensive than shopping for one person...

I found a lot of groups incredibly inclusive, they would welcome me into their midst....

I also tend to be on the introverted side, at least until I'm comfortable with people. However, I have never felt isolated on pilgrimage. It seems easier to strike up a conversation with pilgrims than it does in "normal" life and I say hello, hola or bonjour (depending on where I am) to everyone I come across. It's such a simple thing but people respond to it and, before you know it, you're having a conversation - sometimes a very limited one because of language difficulties but at least you're connecting on some level.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back