• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on our small release here in Spain

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués Porto'17,Lisbon'18
Inglés A Coruña y Ferrol '18
Invierno'19
Hello all,
I must first thank everyone for continuing to post during this trying time, it has been a comfort and appreciated. I imagine difficult at times, writing about something we all miss and have no idea when we can enjoy again.
I thought it was my turn.....this could ramble.....the posts I enjoy most are those that dare to give a glimpse of the person writing. I am not so daring, as a musician I have an outlet, a place to let go, not so right now.
As you may know Spain has been locked down as most of the world, but we have only been allowed out for the basic needs. Today for the first time in 7 weeks we were released for individual exercise or walking with just one person you have been quarantined with, we are limited to once a day and the hours have been separated by age, my slot is 6-10 or 20-23. As I live in A Coruña, my first thought was to have my husband drive my son and I to a camino path where we could walk and get some pictures for my fellow pilgrims,but we can not drive to exercise we have to start from home and stay within our municipality. So instead at 620 I left to run, 40 min did me in so I grabbed my pacer poles and walked until 955!! Being outside walking again was wonderful, I feel tired and renewed. However the thing that is filling me is the picture of the people I saw walking, biking, surfing, running......we couldn't talk but I felt so connected, and I realized that this quarantine has made us all pilgrims.
I know all of you want to get back to the camino and I live here so I imagine at some point this summer I will be fortunate again to walk the inglés because I can sleep at home, but I don't know when I will be able to visit my family in the USA..... our worlds have shrunk...So I have decided that my Camino is here with the people I see every day now that I can see other people. I think all of us here in the forum are already on Camino. Many worry about the lodging and cafés, they are waiting for everyone and the first back will be locals, we will not be allowed out of our provinces for at least another 6-8 weeks. I can't guess when people from other countries can visit if we can't go anywhere but I trust that Spain and the Camino will be here ready to welcome everyone when the time is right. Until then we just need to look around our own corners of the world and see our fellow pilgrims. It is my hope that this lock down will bring the world closer, even as we are forced apart.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
1588414854733.jpeg
On the way to Deba on the Norte March 11,2020
My last day on Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you very much. Here in Ireland some slight adjustments are being made to restrictions also. From Tuesday over 70s may leave their home or garden and walk or otherwise take exercise for a distance of 5km. I would like to say here that I heard today of a pilgrim from USA who has sent a donation to a parochial albergue on the Camino Frances. It is such a heartwarming gesture, and of such donations will the Camino be paved for the future. I know that many albergues are using the forum to state their situations, and wish I had an endless pot of money. Especially for those whose livelihoods are in serious danger, it is not much consolation, but your plight is known and grieved over.

Hello all,
I must first thank everyone for continuing to post during this trying time, it has been a comfort and appreciated. I imagine difficult at times, writing about something we all miss and have no idea when we can enjoy again.
I thought it was my turn.....this could ramble.....the posts I enjoy most are those that dare to give a glimpse of the person writing. I am not so daring, as a musician I have an outlet, a place to let go, not so right now.
As you may know Spain has been locked down as most of the world, but we have only been allowed out for the basic needs. Today for the first time in 7 weeks we were released for individual exercise or walking with just one person you have been quarantined with, we are limited to once a day and the hours have been separated by age, my slot is 6-10 or 20-23. As I live in A Coruña, my first thought was to have my husband drive my son and I to a camino path where we could walk and get some pictures for my fellow pilgrims,but we can not drive to exercise we have to start from home and stay within our municipality. So instead at 620 I left to run, 40 min did me in so I grabbed my pacer poles and walked until 955!! Being outside walking again was wonderful, I feel tired and renewed. However the thing that is filling me is the picture of the people I saw walking, biking, surfing, running......we couldn't talk but I felt so connected, and I realized that this quarantine has made us all pilgrims.
I know all of you want to get back to the camino and I live here so I imagine at some point this summer I will be fortunate again to walk the inglés because I can sleep at home, but I don't know when I will be able to visit my family in the USA..... our worlds have shrunk...So I have decided that my Camino is here with the people I see every day now that I can see other people. I think all of us here in the forum are already on Camino. Many worry about the lodging and cafés, they are waiting for everyone and the first back will be locals, we will not be allowed out of our provinces for at least another 6-8 weeks. I can't guess when people from other countries can visit if we can't go anywhere but I trust that Spain and the Camino will be here ready to welcome everyone when the time is right. Until then we just need to look around our own corners of the world and see our fellow pilgrims. It is my hope that this lock down will bring the world closer, even as we are forced apart.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
View attachment 74277
My last day on Camino

Mary Ellen,

Thank you so much for your words this morning that gleam of much hope for the people of Spain and the Camino. Our hearts and prayers stay with all of you in Spain. Ed

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all,
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
View attachment 74277
My last day on Camino

Mary Ellen, thank you for this beautiful post. This touched me so much...
So I have decided that my Camino is here with the people I see every day now that I can see other people. I think all of us here in the forum are already on Camino.
We all are on a camino, just not the one we thought we were going to have. Who we meet, who we live with, these are our fellow travelers on the road.
Buen camino, peregrina!
May your outside walks be a joy. I'm glad for you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for your posts - especially you MaryEllen. Glad to see that some of your very severe restrictions are starting to ease. We haven’t changed our flights and accommodation yet - currently booked for June - but will maybe look to change to Spring 2021 🙏🏻

Hello all,
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
View attachment 74277
My last day on Camino
Thank you so much for your perspective. I love it. I am in Seattle WA and would have been on Day 7 of the Camino del Norte. I haven’t been able to bring myself to unpack my back pack and actually think that I won’t. I’ll leave it packed as a reminder that freer days are ahead if we all work together to endthe spread of this virus.
Each day I am thankful that I can walk or ride my bike and be outside, near my home. I think daily of where I would be if I was in Spain walking. Although I am disappointed I realize that there will come a time that I will be allowed to travel internationally. I made the decision that out of my love for the people and the country I won’t return until a vaccine for the CORONA virus is available. I want to protect the people I will meet and make sure that I won’t potentially spread Illness. We all play a part in this world to protect each other as we would ourselves and our families. My Camino is here for now and as you said, I will explore the corner of my world and look forward to ahealthy future.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back