• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on photography and camera selection for the Camino

Hi Donna,
I don't really have experience with the SL-1/100D, although I did briefly handle a friend's and was impressed with its small form factor, light weight, and of course the image quality. I suspect that you'll want to take a second, longer, lens in addition to the 18-55mm kit lens, which will add to the burden. And for whatever it's worth, as an avid photographer, I was reluctant to walk the Camino without my DSLR, but in the end I decided to take a more simple and much lighter compact camera. While I can't say that I was totally satisfied with the images I took, overall I was generally pleased with the results -- and especially glad not to be carrying the weight and bulk of the DSLR.
I recently purchased a small and very light Olympus mirrorless camera to experiment and evaluate that form factor, and while it has a few idiosyncracies (what camera doesn't have these?), it may in fact be an excellent travel camera. It only lacks an optical or electronic viewfinder, which I can -- and probably will -- purchase as an add-on. Unfortunately, this acquisition came after my Camino, so I didn't have it available back then. The MILC I purchased is the Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2, which came with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses at a price I considered very reasonable, especially since I won't be using it as my primary camera.
Buen Camino,
Jim

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those of us who love photography, the Camino presents a dilemma. Leaving behind the large print and low light capabilities of an SLR can be stressful. There's nothing worse than taking in the perfect sunset, only to have it rendered as a noisy mess on your point and shoot LCD. As someone who used to take my big DSLR everywhere, I urge you, leave it behind! You will not miss it. Trust me, you will miss so much of the beauty on the Camino if you have your face planted firmly behind the viewfinder all day.

As an alternative, there are two viable options. The first is to purchase a mirrorless camera with a compact prime. Second, I would suggest that you just use a smartphone and make the apps work for you. I used ProHDR and Camera+ for my iPhone and am really happy with the results.

I walked from St. Jean to Finisterre, you can see all of my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewrobinson/sets/72157631571051507/

Message me if you would like any tips on how to get the most out of your iPhone camera.

Hi D, I've been completely inspired by your post and have downloaded both apps tonight in the hope that I'll get to grips with them before I go in my camino in Sept.

How did you decide which app to use for each picture? And tips?

Give me a DSLR any day, give me a fancy app and I get all confused!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi D, I've been completely inspired by your post and have downloaded both apps tonight in the hope that I'll get to grips with them before I go in my camino in Sept.

How did you decide which app to use for each picture? And tips?

Give me a DSLR any day, give me a fancy app and I get all confused!

I used ProHDR in the same way that I would use bracketing to compose an HDR image from my DSLR. Any situation where you would like an expanded exposure range in your composition. I really like using HDR for cloudy days, and also dusk and dawn shots with extended shadow ranges. Having HDR on a smartphone is also nice because it helps compensate for the poor low light performance. I used Camera+ only for post processing. The app gives a lot of nice built in standard filters, but also allows you to toggle many different levels and photo settings. It's not quite Lightroom or Photoshop :), but for a smartphone it's not bad. A DSLR will give you full control or your exposures, and a smartphone limits that quite a bit. These apps wont replace a DSLR by any means, but they will give you a lot more creative options.

I brought a compact and a phone for my first 2 caminos now a bring my dslr which is a Nikon d80 plus18-135 zoom lens heavy 1.2kg BUT the major trick is I use a harness an op/tech elastic one. No weight on my neck, camera rest on my stomach and stretches easily to eye level. I wear it all day every day. It is a personal choice but I find it is worth the effort, long term I need to publish and sell my work.

Nalod

Lots of great info here and undoubtedly a decision for avid photographers on "what to take" . I always try to keep in the back of my mind.....

A Simple Chart Every Photographer Should Keep in Their Back Pocket as a Reminder.
http://petapixel.com/?s=pie+chart

Which I believe to be very very true.

My Camino was not about photography but I knew I want to take photos and document my trip, so forgoing my close friend, 7D + Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, I
settled on a Canon S120 which suited my needs perfectly, and which I have used on a few current photo walks as my primary.

My Camino, with my son on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mishlove1/sets/72157644250170579/

And in this forum:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/users/mishlove.17057/

I wish you all a Buen Camino.

Michael

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lots of great info here and undoubtedly a decision for avid photographers on "what to take" . I always try to keep in the back of my mind.....

A Simple Chart Every Photographer Should Keep in Their Back Pocket as a Reminder.
http://petapixel.com/?s=pie chart

Which I believe to be very very true.

Spot on, Michael

I have two Canon DSLRs with various lenses, a Canon SX40 HS bridge camera and a Canon SX280 HS pocket camera (all part of my professional work)
BUT
I will take only my iPhone on the Camino.

I have used the Olympus TG-2 waterproof point and shoot camera for two years and am thrilled with results. Good lens quality, good low light, flash, lots of option, video, good battery, etc. All in a compact package which is completely waterproof so there is never a worry about using in the rain or storing in damp pack. $329.00. Also shockproof. I would download each day to Samsung ($150) tablet for back up and use free app for editting photos in I felt like it.

http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/tg-2-ihs.html

To see some shots:
http://bikeguy32.blogspot.ca/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The main reason i'm start thinking i should leave my DSLR home isn't the weight, it's just because i couldn't sleep with it in my small sleeping bag. This for sure would be very uncomfortable. I have yet 5 weeks to decide, but for now my choice is on a compact D-Lux4 2009 which i already have.
The photographer is more important than the equipment, as proved by D.Matthew and others and considering you won't be taking a lot of pics in low light or sports you will be ok with a good compact or mirror less camera.

... considering you won't be taking a lot of pics in low light...
I took a LOT of low light interiors, mainly in the churches and cathedrals. Flash is usually not allowed, so think about taking a small Gorillipod or something similar you can clamp onto the back of a pew or piece of furniture for long exposures with timed release.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Spot on, Michael

I have two Canon DSLRs with various lenses, a Canon SX40 HS bridge camera and a Canon SX280 HS pocket camera (all part of my professional work)
BUT
I will take only my iPhone on the Camino.
Bystander, I've been looking at the Canon sx 280. What is your opinion on it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bystander, I've been looking at the Canon sx 280. What is your opinion on it.

Despite what I said earlier about not taking anything apart from my mobile phone as a camera I am dithering over taking the Canon sx280.
Whether I will or not is now dependent on the forthcoming iPhone 6 and its camera capabilities.

As to the sx280 itself. I like it and use it a lot.

PROS
It is "pocketable", has a great zoom length and takes good quality pictures.
Video (but see cons below)
It has built-in WiFi and GPS (but see cons below)
GPS would be very useful for locating your photos when back in Sarasota (went there way back in '74!)

CONS
If using WiFi, GPS and/or video it eats battery life, so take 2 spare batteries (they don't weigh much but only buy Canon's own batteries)
No panorama mode (but I VERY seldom take panoramas - and in any case there is software to "stitch" photos together later to make one)
No viewfinder and in bright sunshine you need some shade over the display to see image clearly but that applies to nearly all compact digital cameras

The main rival is Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 - check it out in a shop.
There is a newer Canon the sx700 hs but this loses the GPS and some of the picture quality of the sx280 hs.
And the GPS is one of the reasons I still thinking of taking my sx280

I am used to Canon camera setting system which is one of the reasons I have brand "loyalty" and therefore don't switch brands and have to learn a new set-up
I see the Amazon USA price is 215$ here in the UK it is 322$ !

edit
Meant to add I have PacerPoles on the top of one of which is a camera mount. Have yet to test them, with the sx280 attached, to see if it affects balance.

Last edited:
Despite what I said earlier about not taking anything apart from my mobile phone as a camera I am dithering over taking the Canon sx280.
Whether I will or not is now dependent on the forthcoming iPhone 6 and its camera capabilities.

PROS
GPS would be very useful for locating your photos when back in Sarasota (went there way back in '74!)

CONS
If using WiFi, GPS and/or video it eats battery life, so take 2 spare batteries (they don't weigh much but only buy Canon's own batteries)
No panorama mode (but I VERY seldom take panoramas - and in any case there is software to "stitch" photos together later to make one)
No viewfinder and in bright sunshine you need some shade over the display to see image clearly but that applies to nearly all compact digital cameras

There is a newer Canon the sx700 hs but this loses the GPS and some of the picture quality of the sx280 hs.

I am used to Canon camera setting system which is one of the reasons I have brand "loyalty" and therefore don't switch brands and have to learn a new set-up

edit
Meant to add I have PacerPoles on the top of one of which is a camera mount. Have yet to test them, with the sx280 attached, to see if it affects balance.

PROS

CONS

edit

Bestbuy has it for 199.00 which seems to me a pretty good price. Do you find that 12.1 is enough mp.
Thanks, Linda

Do you find that 12.1 is enough mp.
Thanks, Linda

In a word, yes.
In any case it isn't simply a matter of numbers of mp - more important is the sensor used and the Canon does as well if not better in comparison tests with other similar cameras, some of which have a larger numbers of mp.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Linda, this was taken indoors at our house at night, so with a flash.
But may give you an idea of the definition of the sx280 in monochrome mode.
View attachment 11896
Well, you convinced me to go ahead and get the SX280. Few problems... Best Buy only had one in the whole area and it is opened box, but the salesperson said it looked like it hadn't even been taken out of the box. So they are shipping it to my local store and for a great price of $169.00 I'll give it a try and return it if it is a dud. Guess they have fazed this model out, but I don't want to spend lots more for the SX700. Unfortunatally, I'm a procrastinator when it comes to making purchases and have been trying to decide for the last month whether to get this one or a Nikon. Thanks for the heads up. I figure if you are a professional, you must know your cameras.
I'll let you know in a week or so how it worked out.
p.s. Great photo of the pooches!:)

I figure if you are a professional, you must know your cameras.
:)
I don't want to con you, yes I do make money out of taking photos but it is not my main source of income for I am actually an architect so not, technically, a "professional" photographer.
As to the difference between the 280 and the 700, many reviewers in comparison tests have preferred the 280.
However good luck in testing out the camera and let us know how you get on.
And thank you for the kind comment on the photo of the mother and son lurchers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bought a nice little Canon SX130 for $20:00 maybe 3 months ago and love the lil guy. Over a 1000 images the first month and with a set of rechargable batterys,only gets better,
Excellent low light on manual mode,lightning and B/W.
Went and bought a Canon 60D..
Cant wait to see what i can do with the possibilitys offered with expanded capabilitys.
My load out will depend on which one will afford me the truest representation of the image in my head.

The journey for me,will be the reward
I impress the moment into my memory,the sight,smell and emotion
The photos in these latter years,if ive done the job,will add to the memory.
Hence
The agony of fixing the image in my head. So others can see what i see and how i saw it.HDR captures what i feel,so my software will be getting a workout!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.