• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on “Santiago - the Camino within”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
This movie just premiered across America in a one-night only Fathom event. Mixed thoughts on it. Anyone care to share their review?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I asked my wife to accompany me for "date night" and thought it would be inspirational for us since our first Camino will be from Porto in June.

I have never in my life left a movie early...until last night.

The only redeeming factor was that it was so bad that as soon as we got out of the theatre and the door closed behind us we broke down in fits of laughter that carried us all the way to the car and then some.

It amazes me, with all the great footage of many different Caminos that I have found on other sources, that somehow this made it to the theatre as a "Fathom" event.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, it is unfair of me to give an unqualified "bad". I don't mean to detract from someone else's enjoyment that may have liked the movie.

In my opinion, the cinematography was amateurish to the extreme. For instance, there were repeated instances where the same shot was reused during yet another extended photo montage set to overly loud and dramatic music. It was as though the film maker ran out of a sufficient number of shots and recycled to fill time.

The camera work (angles, transitions, etc.) were unflattering and distracting.

The interviews could have been terrific, but failed to be cohesive in manner or style.

Finally, there was no driving story or theme to propel the movie along and engage the audience. It was disjointed to the extreme. I can't imagine it would have been too difficult to use the journey along the Camino to provide the audience some context, but it failed to even use this fairly obvious choice.

I would love suggestions for movies to watch about the Camino as I am a rabid fan of all things "Camino" right now and daily watch video and have read several great books recommended here by others, but this movie left so much to be desired and honestly there are so many others putting out far better just on YouTube alone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review - very helpful. Here is a recommendation for something to watch regardless of the fact that it is not a movie. Efren Gonzalez has a series of Vlogs about many caminos (and other hikes like the AT). They are not only useful but very entertaining. I've watched several from head to toe.

but this movie left so much to be desired and honestly there are so many others putting out far better just on YouTube alone.
I haven't seen the movie so I can only make a general observation that there seems to be a vast collection of videos about the Camino out there already. I gather from reviews that this film is mostly footage of pilgrims telling their personal experience on the Caminos. Does anyone who actually saw the movie yesterday think that this particular film adds anything new and distinctive which makes it worth seeking it out and watching?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the review - very helpful. Here is a recommendation for something to watch regardless of the fact that it is not a movie. Efren Gonzalez has a series of Vlogs about many caminos (and other hikes like the AT). They are not only useful but very entertaining. I've watched several from head to toe.
Thank you for the recommendation. I have already thrown myself down his "rabbit hole" of great videos and enjoyed his journeys vicariously. We are using the Camino as a stepping stone to an AT hike in '24 so that tie in was perfect.

I concur with @jtdums. Hugely disappointing. It was a 20 minute sermon extended to over an hour with overuse of slo-mo and overbearing music. There were a few short interviews of pilgrims while they walked with distracting camera work. But overall, it was a sermon, and not a very good one at that.

@jtdums "We are using the Camino as a stepping stone to an AT hike in '24 so that tie in was perfect."

Before you head on the AT next year, read "Adventures of a Trail Stooge" Fun, entertaining, useful and rather profound at times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@jtdums "We are using the Camino as a stepping stone to an AT hike in '24 so that tie in was perfect."

Before you head on the AT next year, read "Adventures of a Trail Stooge" Fun, entertaining, useful and rather profound at times.
Thank you. I'll add that one to the reading list.

Efren Gonzalez has a series of Vlogs about many caminos (and other hikes like the AT). They are not only useful but very entertaining. I've watched several from head to toe.
I agree! Efren Gonzalez is my Youtube "go to guy" and his are the only vlogs I watch and keep up on about the Caminos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It didn't try to rush you and it didn't try to sell the Camino. It left you a way to enjoy the spiritual and reflective aspect. I was glad they didn't try and do the traditional town by town Vlog. See it and judge for yourself. Forget about commercialization and Youtube.

I too attended the movie last night with spouse and with my Camino buddy. All 3 of us were irritated and disturbed and also left 30 minutes before the end. We hope it doesn’t deter future walkers.
It seemed contrived, clumsy and overly cutesy. Peregrinos, many with tiny little backpacks coyly and self consciously turning around and waving “Buen Camino” to the camera.
Some beautiful drone footage including video taken from the ocean of La Virgen de la Barca in Muxia.
I found it to be opportunistic propaganda from a Wisconsin based US Bishop as the star. I have never seen this kind of proselytizing from the hierarchy/priests in the Cathedral. The Pilgrim Mass is truly Catholic and catholic=universal welcoming and embracing of all. This was an unveiled attempt at trying to stick their version of the Camino down your throat.
The footage of the Korean Peregrino couple conversion experience, I felt was exploitative, akin to taping a confession, private moments we experience with others, as we walk, hear and hold one another in our hearts. Perhaps out of context, but to me it stings and doesn’t feel right. The Spirit of the Camino is not experienced in this documentary. It felt like propaganda and an egregious appropriation of the Camino.
“The Way” and other many personal vignettes so capture the Camino experience.
In addition this film is in Spanish narrated by a non native speaker with no subtitles.
Skip the movie. Stay humble. Embrace future Peregrinos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This movie just premiered across America in a one-night only Fathom event. Mixed thoughts on it. Anyone care to share their review?
While it is visually beautiful and sometime the feel of camaraderie was there, I felt the Catholic Church should have paid for my ticket, $10.

I'm now glad I didn't bother going to the movie, although it came to my city, after reading this thread.
In addition to "The Way", I enjoyed "I'll Push You". The only other one I've watched, in 2017 was "Six Ways to Santiago" and it was just "ok".
Just reading the words “I’ll push you” in your post gave me goosebumps and tiny tears in my eyes. While I love the camino as much as anyone this movie is so much more!
The best of the best, and I’m just honored to get a glimpse of such a friendship.

It wasn't what I expected, too "churchy" - it felt like an ad for the Catholic church. I would only recommend this film to those that I know are deep in their faith/religion.

Please don't come at me...LOL...I do understand what/why the Camino is about but for some of us it is not about a religious experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I asked my wife to accompany me for "date night" and thought it would be inspirational for us since our first Camino will be from Porto in June.

The only redeeming factor was that it was so bad that as soon as we got out of the theatre and the door closed behind us we broke down in fits of laughter that carried us all the way to the car and then some.

It amazes me, with all the great footage of many different Caminos that I have found on other sources, that somehow this made it to the theatre as a "Fathom" event.
good. I was feeling a little sad about missing it but now I feel better.

This is NOT a movie for those not prepared for a lengthy Catholic sermon by a bishop. And the cinematogrophy is poor. There were too many smiling pilgrims walking instead of tired pilgrims stuggling. And no scenes of communal meals where peregrinos are usually smiling as they shares their struggles and triumphs.

BUT...This is what you missed:

1. The scene with the Korean couple is by far the most moving of any scene in the many camino movies we have watched. If you missed this, you missed something truly priceless in conveying to all...not just the religious...what the camino means for so many walkers. The theme was simple: Many, like the Koreans, go to escape the hassles of daily life. On the camino, they realize all the good things they have at home. It's the most basic of themes, as Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz: There's no place like home, (although if my home was in the dust bowl of Kansas, I would escape and never go back!)

2. At the end of the movie, there is a long question and answer session with Bishop Hying. There was more sermonizing, but also a lot of practical information for wannabe peregrinos.

3. And as a musician, I paid great attention to the ten original songs composed for the movie. I plan to try to get the soundtrack. No other camino movie has accompanying songs directly related to the camino. And they choice good voices.

Sorry you walked out. You spared yourself all the sermonizing and weak cinematography, but you missed a priceless scene, extraordinary music and the enjoyable Q and A.

Last edited:

We enjoyed the movie despite all the criticisms others voice here. You will see my separate posting.

We did get a new idea from the pilgrimage regarding a camino we hadn't thought about: Zaragosa to Santiago. We did the long Camino Ignaziano that starts in Loiola in The Basque Country crossing the Cantabrian peaks, then to Logrono, through a long stretch of Rioja (great wine, pears and almonds) to Zaragosa and finally Montserrat and Manresa. As those interested in the history of the camino, as we are, one knows that Zaragosa is the site where Mary reportedly appeared to Santiago who had given up on converting anyone and was planning to head home. He turned around, although he still ended up with only a handful of conversions. For hundreds of years, French and Spanish pilgrims favored a camino to Zaragosa over going to Santiago, while others saw Zaragosa as fitting starting point to retrace the steps of Santiago on his own camino.

Zaragosa to Logrono walking along the Ebro is arguably one of the most beautiful stretches of any camino, especially in September with harvest festivals in every village as the pick the grapes, almonds and pears, which are the most luscious we ever tasted. After Logrono, there are any number of routes to take. We would urge walkers to go to La Guardia, the closest thing to Tuscany in Spain. Buen Camino!

Big disappointment for me - it was a repetitive sermon that seemed to have many false endings (to my relief) only to continue on the same path of reiterating the theme. One or two touching moments, the rest was propaganda.

I concur with many here that the movie was truly one of the worst I've ever seen. It paid zero attention to place. There wasn't a moment in the movie when a town or church was identified, other than the start and finish. There was no food shown (but plenty of beer bottles and cigarettes), no albergues. The close ups of hiking boots showed brand new soles. The proselytizing was insulting, and that Q&A at the end, with the students reading questions from their phones that had probably been sent to them in advance... I hated the awful music, songs that went absolutely nowhere, like the film itself. Skip it, unless you want to pay for a sermon.

In addition this film is in Spanish narrated by a non native speaker with no subtitles.
I'm puzzled by this. The only parts that were in Spanish were a few interviews with Spanish pilgrims, and there were subtitles for those parts. Maybe there were different versions if this movie?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is NOT a movie for those not prepared for a lengthy Catholic sermon by a bishop. And the cinematogrophy is poor. There were too many smiling pilgrims walking instead of tired pilgrims stuggling. And no scenes of communal meals where peregrinos are usually smiling as they shares their struggles and triumphs.

1. The scene with the Korean couple is by far the most moving of any scene in the many camino movies we have watched. If you missed this, you missed something truly priceless in conveying to all...not just the religious...what the camino means for so many walkers. The theme was simple: Many, like the Koreans, go to escape the hassles of daily life. On the camino, they realize all the good things they have at home. It's the most basic of themes, as Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz: There's no place like home, (although if my home was in the dust bowl of Kansas, I would escape and never go back!)

2. At the end of the movie, there is a long question and answer session with Bishop Hying. There was more sermonizing, but also a lot of practical information for wannabe peregrinos.

3. And as a musician, I paid great attention to the ten original songs composed for the movie. I plan to try to get the soundtrack. No other camino movie has accompanying songs directly related to the camino. And they choice good voices.

Sorry you walked out. You spared yourself all the sermonizing and weak cinematography, but you missed a priceless scene, extraordinary music and the enjoyable Q and A.
I agree with Anthony Rocco's post 100%. As a work of art, I thought the movie was unremarkable - no plot, too much slow motion, disjointed, heavy-handed. But the Korean couple scene was extremely moving and the interview with the Bishop at the end was captivating. I have seen so many secular vlogs of the Camino that it was refreshing to watch a film from a strongly religious perspective. For anyone surprised by that, what would you expect from a film narrated by a Catholic bishop?

For anyone surprised by that, what would you expect from a film narrated by a Catholic bishop?
I had no idea that it was narrated by a Catholic bishop. All that I knew was from this blurb about the movie:

The Camino de Santiago is a well-traversed pilgrimage route dating back to medieval times.   Legend recalls that the remains of the Christian apostle St. James the Great were mysteriously discovered at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain after having thought to be lost. For centuries, pilgrims have traveled the route, also known as the Way of St. James, for spiritual reasons

€149,-
I saw the movie last night, and agree with all that's been said about the quality of the film. There are a number of other movies about the Camino that I believe capture the beauty, camaraderie and overall essence much better. I would definitely not recommend this one. I left before the Q&A session with the Bishop. I recently read the book "I'll Push You" and found it very inspiring (it has also been made into a movie).

Glad I did not go and saved the $15. I was in the process of purchasing a ticket when I looked at the trailer. That completely turned me off, so backed off the ticket purchase. Was looking for a little Camino vibe before starting in Lisbon mid May.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We went and although we enjoyed our time it was not what we were expecting. We talked after the movie and thought too much time was spent on strange photography (that really isn’t on the Camino but near it) and less time on the actual walk. While we enjoyed the interviews, except for the couple from Korea-they really didn’t say much. We thought a better use of time would have been to follow the Bishop as he walked. Follow him getting up, getting ready, prayer, meeting people on his walks, eating, exhaustion from the walk, stops, nighttime rituals. Maybe more of the actual walk and the mechanics mixed with the prayer and meditation. More of the day to day and less cinematography. We did enjoy the Q and A at the end but that could have been woven into the actual walk. The Bishop could have been explaining the shell, or the reason for walking as he was doing so. We actually thought there was a big opportunity missed. Just our thoughts. But like I said-we were glad we went.

I too attended the movie last night with spouse and with my Camino buddy. All 3 of us were irritated and disturbed and also left 30 minutes before the end. We hope it doesn’t deter future walkers.
It seemed contrived, clumsy and overly cutesy. Peregrinos, many with tiny little backpacks coyly and self consciously turning around and waving “Buen Camino” to the camera.
Some beautiful drone footage including video taken from the ocean of La Virgen de la Barca in Muxia.
I found it to be opportunistic propaganda from a Wisconsin based US Bishop as the star. I have never seen this kind of proselytizing from the hierarchy/priests in the Cathedral. The Pilgrim Mass is truly Catholic and catholic=universal welcoming and embracing of all. This was an unveiled attempt at trying to stick their version of the Camino down your throat.
The footage of the Korean Peregrino couple conversion experience, I felt was exploitative, akin to taping a confession, private moments we experience with others, as we walk, hear and hold one another in our hearts. Perhaps out of context, but to me it stings and doesn’t feel right. The Spirit of the Camino is not experienced in this documentary. It felt like propaganda and an egregious appropriation of the Camino.
“The Way” and other many personal vignettes so capture the Camino experience.
I wasn't surprised to see "many little tiny backpacks." Why? On our most recent camino, last September from Porto, we saw group after group of smiling, quick moving walkers, many so much younger than us, with those teeny packs. This is the first time we've encountered so many supported walkers. Maybe it's just this particular walk. I hope so. The camino is getting less and less with each passing year like the one we first walked. After walking from Porto, we are going back to walking the less traveled camino routes, of which there are more than we can walk the rest of our lives.

If you want THE best for feeling like the old days, pre-Covid, pre-crowds, walk the Camino Madrid. You get mountains, valleys, meseta, Segovia, Valladolid (a slight diversion) and villagers who embrace you. The infrastructure is just enough. Not for the first time walker, to be sure.

And at the end, in Sahagun, you get a certificate at the shrine of the Virgen Peregrina.

Had a ticket for the showing in DC last night but traffic jams caused me to miss it. The reviews here and on other Facebook groups tell me I would have been very disappointed. Thanks for your insights.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was the movie what I expected…no. Was it awful, no. Was it Catholic…certainly (no one should surprised or offended by that…it was plainly obvious from the movie trailers available online…and, like it or not, the that is the history of the Camino).

It did seem disjointed. I would have liked it better if it had followed the various sets of pilgrims along the route, but plainly the cost of doing that would have been much more. The excessive drone footage of repeated scenes did get to be a bit much. More annoying was the shaking camera during walking interviews.

Being Catholic, I truly enjoyed the Catholic bent and would have liked to see more of it (why not just follow the Bishop along his route). The lengthy interview near the end did see out of place, however.

Many of the visuals were decent. I was able to recognize many places, though they did seem to focus on certain spots-Portomarin, Sarria, etc. We had a non-Catholic friend along and he seemed to enjoy and is considering going on a Camino.

Would I recommend as introduction or travelogue…no. Would I suggest it to Catholic friends, perhaps.

I am very glad that the Camino got the exposure.

Was this movie/documentary a slick, professional Hollywood style movie? Absolutely not. Was it supposed to be a travelogue? Nope. Was it a foodie review? Goodness, no. Could it have been better even as an amateur film? Yes. Was it worthless and horrible? No, not if you love the Camino and value all Camino experiences. Am surprised by any comment that said it was too religious or they didn't know it would be religious. Even if you you didn't read the entire explanation of the event, the title Is "the Camino within". I attended with two people who walked the Camino and we all were able to take away something positive. One related to the "death - resurrection" analogy we experienced on difficult days. Another related to the simplicity of walking as a meditative, contemplative antidote to our busy lives. We giggled at the way-too-many shots of Portomarin but Portomarin had particular personal significance to us so we didn't mind. Same thing with all the shots of Muxia. Muxia marked the end of our walk (but not our journey) so we were good with paying homage to it. Loved that all the interviewees turned to say Buen Camino! to the camera. Maybe some saw it as cheesy but it was perfectly reminiscent of the Camino. Like a lot of things in life and like why people choose to do the Camino: it's personal and it's what you want to get out of the experience. Finally, afterwards it spurred really good conversation about why we enjoyed the Camino and what we took away from the experience. We had great fun reliving our stories. Let's face it, we're all on this forum because the Camino means something good to us. One would say we love it - either the actuality or the possibility. It seems to me that the Camino holds something for us beyond tired muscles, aching backs, painful feet, snoring and farting in mixed dorms, long days under a hot sun. The documentary could have done a better job of showing the joy of interacting and communing with people from all over the world who are headed, physically if not spiritually, in the same direction. Nevertheless, I found meaning and enjoyment in the film.

I agree with a lot of what has been shared. I wanted to love it but did not. There is an extreme Catholic religious plot in the movie which I did not expect. The movie has a heavy focus on St. James as an Apostle and his role in the history of the camino. There were beautiful insights in the second half of the Q&A at the end which was the highlight for me. Overall, I was disappointed that there wasn't a more captivating "story" that could resonate with more pilgrims...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saw the film last night with my husband. I am a Catholic, he is not. We walked the last 136 km from Fonfria to Santiago last September 2022. We are planning another Camino in October. People walk the Camino for different reasons; travel, history,physical endurance, spiritual, etc. I walked for spiritual as I had just lost my brother on Good Friday, 2022. My husband walked to keep me company and because he loves everything about Spain. Every step for me on my Camino was a prayer. The clicks of the poles were a prayer. The sun on my face was a prayer. I got blisters and I had leg pains and they were prayers. But I made it to Santiago and saw the botafumeiro and went to confession and saw St. James. I got to see the Portico of Glory and did the roof top tour. While walking, I prayed for my brother Jim (who I just lost), my daughter, my mom, my mother-in-law, my family, my friends, and for Scott and me. I came home from my Camino a different person. I appreciated my home, my family, my job, and I was grateful for the experience. This movie was about the spiritual journey of the pilgrim. We are walking on our journey to heaven in our own way. My personal experience was similar to that of the South Korean man; in a rut, working too many hours, not understanding the reason why for a lot of things. The movie was not perfect but it was worth seeing. I would see it again.

I'm now glad I didn't bother going to the movie, although it came to my city, after reading this thread.
In addition to "The Way", I enjoyed "I'll Push You". The only other one I've watched, in 2017 was "Six Ways to Santiago" and it was just "ok".
I just watched the trailer for I'll Push You. It looks like a powerful movie, but is it heartbreaking? Also, is it religious? (the trailer mentions "faith", but not sure if that's meant in the religious sense)

I just watched the trailer for I'll Push You. It looks like a powerful movie, but is it heartbreaking? Also, is it religious? (the trailer mentions "faith", but not sure if that's meant in the religious sense)
I'll Push You is very powerful, and heartwarming. The concept of 'faith' is interwoven in the story, it is not heavy handed. Make sure you have a box of tissues at hand. I will watch it again. Truly highlights the power of the human spirit and reveals, as many of have walked have noted, that 'the Camino provides.'

One thing I learned on the Camino is that each person walks his or her own Camino. It is what you make it. I saw the movie last night with two dear friends. Two of us retired, one coming directly from a long day at the office. We met up at a nice restaurant and enjoyed the good food. It was a great excuse to visit and catch up. This restaurant served some excellent craft cocktails and we all had a second, which we don't usually do. This probably improved the movie. A good time was had by all!

I saw the movie last night and for the first time in my life, I walked out of the theater before it was over. I had invited my niece and neighbors to go with me, hoping to share with them all the beauty and wonders of The Camino. Perhaps 5 minutes of the movie depicted anything close to what The Camino is about. I was beyond disappointed. Rather than repeat all the things listed in previous posts, I will just tell you they are true and accurate. I truly felt like I was watching a very long sermon, almost a recruitment film for the Catholic Church.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved the movie and yes, it is powerful. It was the profound and deep bond of their friendship, coupled with joint sacrifice, that brought tears to my eyes. I did not find it heartbreaking, but rather something to be celebrated. I do not recall it being particularly religious.
Truly highlights the power of the human spirit and reveals, as many of have walked have noted, that 'the Camino provides.'
Many pilgrims unexpectedly got involved and joined in to help "push". For me, this story was one example of "the Camino provides" in the truest sense.

I would love suggestions for movies to watch about the Camino as I am a rabid fan of all things "Camino" right now and daily watch video and have read several great books recommended here by others, but this movie left so much to be desired and honestly there are so many others putting out far better just on YouTube alone.

I recently watched "Strangers on the Earth," which is available to watch for free on Kanopy (a website/app that provides access to thousands of films via a U.S. library card or university affiliation.)

Of the several Camino films I've watched, this one came the closest to capturing what the walk was like for me, even if I didn't take a cello with me the entire way. Gorgeous cinematography and music, and a subtle yet pervasive sense of the Camino's connection to the spiritual. Highly recommended.

See also this previous forum thread:

(And thanks for your candid thoughts on "The Camino Within". I was thinking about seeing it when it screened near me but something about the trailer put me off. I think I would have reacted to it the same way that you did.)

Last edited:

€149,-
I saw the movie last night and for the first time in my life, I walked out of the theater before it was over. I had invited my niece and neighbors to go with me, hoping to share with them all the beauty and wonders of The Camino. Perhaps 5 minutes of the movie depicted anything close to what The Camino is about. I was beyond disappointed. Rather than repeat all the things listed in previous posts, I will just tell you they are true and accurate. I truly felt like I was watching a very long sermon, almost a recruitment film for the Catholic Church.
I am baffled by so many of these comments. Just as I prepare for every camino (some people don't, which also baffles me), I did some research before taking some friends to see it. Bishop Hying is an evangelist and preacher along the lines of Bishop Sheen, to those of you who may remember him. I fully expected a long homily/sermon. I told the others that if that they weren't prepared to sit through this, don't come. Our local camino group, of which I am a coordinator, counts over 780 on our email list. We chose NOT to publicize the movie.

The movie delivered as I expected. And the Qs and As after the movie ended were spot on. I especially related to his answer to a question about how often he had pain. He responded immediately "Every day." He added that about 1:30pm, his body kept saying Enough, and all he wanted to do was lay down. He nonetheless carried on, knowing he could do it. Day after day after day.

On our first camino, we prepared well but were still shocked we averaged 17 miles per day. In our case, it seemed that every day when we were 5kms out, our body resisted putting one foot in front of another. Perhaps it was our mind rather than our body saying "What's the point? Haven't you walked enough?" I suspect we have all experienced this. But most of keep on keeping on, and we are rewarded for that. He added, and I wholeheartedly agree, that whatever pain we felt, when we got up the next morning, that pain had somehow disappeared. The muscles and tendons had healed overnight, as the body is wont to do.

I recently watched "Strangers on the Earth," which is available to watch for free on Kanopy (a website/app that provides access to thousands of films via a U.S. library card or university affiliation.)

Of the several Camino films I've watched, this one came the closest to capturing what the walk was like for me, even if I didn't take a cello with me the entire way. Gorgeous cinematography and music, and a subtle yet pervasive sense of the Camino's connection to the spiritual. Highly recommended.

See also this previous forum thread:

(And thanks for your candid thoughts on "The Camino Within". I was thinking about seeing it when it screened near me but something about the trailer put me off. I think I would have reacted to it the same way that you did.)

Thanks for this. I've added this movie to my list. "Stangers on the Earth" and "I'll Push You" are two that I'll be watching in the next few days. Really looking forward to it.

I saw the movie last night and thought it was good. It definitely has a catholic angle but I liked the Bishop who narrated. I thought the cinematography really showed the beauty of the Camino. I like that they featured Portomarin, one of my favorite towns in the Camino. I feel like they could have found some more compelling people to interview but the Korean couple was very interesting. They filmed during summer and I think they captured a lot of people doing short hauls rather than the whole CF. I would have loved to see more of albergues or pilgrim dinners. All in all I felt is was a good film, I definitely cried and felt emotional. More so than I did when I saw I’ll Push You. I’m surprised so many people on this thread didn’t like it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Warning!

Searching for something they showed before the film I Googled and the first item on the resulting list was for a free version of the film, with an eu domain yet. The page was a PDF file with a generic template generating excitement but with the Santiago movie title inserted with a global replace. Hardly anything made sense. There was what looked like an embedded player for the movie but that didn't play; it brought you to a page where you could download the "movie" (but I'm sure it was a virus). Nothing looked right here. Stay clear.

Yes, it is unfair of me to give an unqualified "bad". I don't mean to detract from someone else's enjoyment that may have liked the movie.

In my opinion, the cinematography was amateurish to the extreme. For instance, there were repeated instances where the same shot was reused during yet another extended photo montage set to overly loud and dramatic music. It was as though the film maker ran out of a sufficient number of shots and recycled to fill time.

The camera work (angles, transitions, etc.) were unflattering and distracting.

The interviews could have been terrific, but failed to be cohesive in manner or style.

Finally, there was no driving story or theme to propel the movie along and engage the audience. It was disjointed to the extreme. I can't imagine it would have been too difficult to use the journey along the Camino to provide the audience some context, but it failed to even use this fairly obvious choice.

I really liked Six Ways to Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am baffled by so many of these comments. Just as I prepare for every camino (some people don't, which also baffles me), I did some research before taking some friends to see it. Bishop Hying is an evangelist and preacher along the lines of Bishop Sheen, to those of you who may remember him. I fully expected a long homily/sermon. I told the others that if that they weren't prepared to sit through this, don't come. Our local camino group, of which I am a coordinator, counts over 780 on our email list. We chose NOT to publicize the movie.

The movie delivered as I expected. And the Qs and As after the movie ended were spot on. I especially related to his answer to a question about how often he had pain. He responded immediately "Every day." He added that about 1:30pm, his body kept saying Enough, and all he wanted to do was lay down. He nonetheless carried on, knowing he could do it. Day after day after day.

On our first camino, we prepared well but were still shocked we averaged 17 miles per day. In our case, it seemed that every day when we were 5kms out, our body resisted putting one foot in front of another. Perhaps it was our mind rather than our body saying "What's the point? Haven't you walked enough?" I suspect we have all experienced this. But most of keep on keeping on, and we are rewarded for that. He added, and I wholeheartedly agree, that whatever pain we felt, when we got up the next morning, that pain had somehow disappeared. The muscles and tendons had healed overnight, as the body is wont to do.
Thank you for this. I have been squirming over the "Too Catholic!" complaints. Dunno which church folks think Santiago was stumping for when he went out to spread the word or encountered the only bilocated Marian vision in Zaragoza imploring him not to give up the quest... Any medievalist knows that any reference to "The Church" in Europe at the time that pilgrimage routes were established was what we now refer to as "The Catholic Church" (even with its various breaks and ruptures).
I don't expect everyone to believe, but those institutional, religious, and even evangelical things are the structural foundation that provides the cheap holiday or vague "spiritual" endeavour for everyone else. A gracious thanks is in order. I mean... OK... don't much care for technical aspect of the film... whatever (I've not seen it and can't speak to its quality, but I can say that "The Camino Voyage" would really benefit from having some of the musical interludes trimmed down and not complain that it's "too Celtic" or something). Complaining about it being too Catholic just seems to have missed the matter of how we all get to be lucky enough to walk these roads.

Any medievalist knows that any reference to "The Church" in Europe at the time that pilgrimage routes were established was what we now refer to as "The Catholic Church" (even with its various breaks and ruptures).
The early roots of the Camino just predated the Great Schism which split European Christianity mostly into western Catholicism and eastern Orthodoxy. But the pilgrimage reached its peak in the period between the Great Schism and the Reformation which further divided western Christianity into the Catholic church and the various Protestant strands. So modern Roman Catholicism and Protestantism share the historical and cultural DNA of the pre-Reformation western church.

€46,-
The early roots of the Camino just predated the Great Schism which split European Christianity mostly into western Catholicism and eastern Orthodoxy. But the pilgrimage reached its peak after that but before the Reformation which further divided western Christianity into the Catholic church and the various Protestant strands. So modern Roman Catholicism and Protestantism share the historical and cultural DNA of the pre-Reformation western church.
Yes, this is hard to express so clearly, so thank you for the tidy summation, but it does not obviate the point that it's rather bad manners to complain that the camino is too Catholic, or that a particular filmic take on it leans that way and ought therefore to be dismissed. Like the film, don't like the film... I don't care... what concerns me is that attitude that can easily stretch into "mass in the Cathedral is too Catholic", or "too many pilgrims are Catholic", or "Spain is too Catholic..." -- all of which one can encounter often enough, and it's disappointing.

I concur with @jtdums. Hugely disappointing. It was a 20 minute sermon extended to over an hour with overuse of slo-mo and overbearing music. There were a few short interviews of pilgrims while they walked with distracting camera work. But overall, it was a sermon, and not a very good one at that.
I agree 100%. We left early as well, after the interview with the bishop started after the actual movie. I told my husband, if I knew I was only going to church, I wouldn't have come! And as @trecile says, it was a bad sermon at that. I'm not Catholic, but it felt like it was a plug for the Catholic church as well. And I did enjoy the interview with the Korean couple as well. It was the only saving grace in the movie.

Wow. Looks like I really missed something there ... Sounds like it is just a poorly made film that does not convey any of the emotions that most people connect with a camino ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you haven't seen Six Ways to Santiago, that might be more up your alley. I thought that was well done and captures the real spirit of it. I've shown it to family and friends.

If you haven't seen Six Ways to Santiago, that might be more up your alley. I thought that was well done and captures the real spirit of it. I've shown it to family and friends.
I saw the Camino Within last night and liked it. I read on this thread about Six Ways and I’m watching right now and not really enjoying it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Catholic aspect didn't bother me, but the heavy handedness of the message and the lack of showing the Camino experience did.
It was a Catholic movie about about a Catholic bishop making a Catholic Camino. Afterwards he was speaking to Catholic college students. The "Camino Within", the subtitle of the moive clearly indicated that this was film of Catholic reflection during a Camino pilgrimage and was not made to show the "Camino Experience" other than those in the film. The message was of a Catholic bishop walking the camino. I do not see this as heavy handedness as this is his point of view as a Catholic walking the camino. I do not understand what the "lack of showing the Camino experience" means as it was clear to my husband and myself that the bishop did absolutely understand his walk and explained what the "Camino experience" was for him and the people he walked with and the pilgirims he met along with way and prayed with. I do not understand at all what the "lack of showing" the Camino experience means unless you were expecting a day by day travelogue of his camino. If so, the this was definitely not a movie for you. We were confused by the videos, with repetitions of the scenes of Portormarin, but that was secondary to the film's message to the faithful.

Yes, this is hard to express so clearly, so thank you for the tidy summation, but it does not obviate the point that it's rather bad manners to complain that the camino is too Catholic, or that a particular filmic take on it leans that way and ought therefore to be dismissed. Like the film, don't like the film... I don't care... what concerns me is that attitude that can easily stretch into "mass in the Cathedral is too Catholic", or "too many pilgrims are Catholic", or "Spain is too Catholic..." -- all of which one can encounter often enough, and it's disappointing.
"Let me remake the faith in my image" is pretty common so it's not surprising that so many try to remake the Camino in their image. A lot of the same people who preach "It's your Camino. Do it your way!" don't hesitate to let the faux indignation flow when Catholics do just that. People even get insulted because albergue volunteers talk about Christ to them or do a prayer at dinner! It's kind of amazing, sad and funny at the same time.

We saw the film with a mostly Catholic audience. I didn't know much about it beforehand but will watch pretty much anything Camino and anything Catholic. Talking to some afterward, I would say I was the one who was disappointed in the film, while most of the others were satisfied or excited about it.

I've seen way more documentaries than most people and plenty of Camino things, as most here have. I thought the project was clunkily filmed and not cohesively edited, and thought they missed out on quite a bit on the experiences they could have used to good effect.

It was clear to me that they largely skipped ahead to the last section of the Camino for filming, and consequently caught a lot of the sort of people who walk that last section.

I wasn't disappointed whatsoever in the general message. In fact, I think it would have been much, much better if they had the courage to delve deeper into the subject.

But what I realized during the interview portion afterward was that the key to the entire thing was realizing who the intended audience was--- mostly young Catholics.

The film wasn't made for the forum Camino experts or the vacation party-on-a-budget people or the "this is my nature walk" folks. It was made for groups of Catholics, mostly young, some older, who might go on group Camino walks and trips for adventure and faith.

I don't think most realize how many regular Catholic folks are doing shorter, organized group walks. By far the most popular starting point for the Camino is Sarria. Younger groups, older groups, many parish groups or Catholic tours fill the majority of these numbers.

I think these groups are who the film is aimed at, and in that light I give it a break and don't judge it too harshly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think most realize how many regular Catholic folks are doing shorter, organized group walks. By far the most popular starting point for the Camino is Sarria. Younger groups, older groups, many parish groups or Catholic tours fill the majority of these numbers.

I think these groups are who the film is aimed at, and in that light I give it a break and don't judge it too harshly.
I remember a group we met coming down from The Iron Cross that was a parish group doing just a few random scenic bits before heading to Sarria by van to start earning their Compostelas. They were as giddy as I remember being on the hike up to Orisson.

And a Franciscan spirituality center in my hometown sponsored 100 km Camino pilgrimages before the pandemic. The tours attracted mostly people who would have been too frail for 778 km but they were just as excited as I was when they arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago.

I wasn't disappointed whatsoever in the general message. In fact, I think it would have been much, much better if they had the courage to delve deeper into the subject.
I don't think they had a lack of courage, I think it was a lack of competency. I don't mean this in a mean way; the film was not made by professionals and it fell into YouTube quality.

I saw the trailer beforehand and had the feeling that it would be too religious to really make me like it but that it could be worthwhile anyway. Watching the film I was not seeing enough of a message to hold it together. There are a number of ways to fix that problem and a better way of getting the Church's views presented would be one. Instead of getting a movie that I could recommend to some they gave me a movie that I would not recommend to anyone.

I concur with the other reviewers:
the good:
-beautiful shots of parts of the Camino.
- Interviews that did capture some of the many reasons people do the Camino. I found the interaction with the Korean couple to be very moving, though I wonder how they now feel about audiences around the world witnessing their moment of vulnerability
-I liked the music

the bad:
-totally Catholic focus which detracts from one of the key attractions of the Camino: the diversity of people walking for various reasons, with a diversity of spiritual (and non spiritual!) orientations
-using the same shots over and over. Lots of shots of shoes....
-Q and A at the end reinforced the "sermonizing" aspect

If you see it, consider it one (very Catholic) perspective on the Camino.

And a Franciscan spirituality center in my hometown sponsored 100 km Camino pilgrimages before the pandemic. The tours attracted mostly people who would have been too frail for 778 km but they were just as excited as I was when they arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago.

Thank you for this. There are many of us who will never be able to get enough time off of work to hike the 778 km. I envy people who have such opportunities. Also, not all of us are healthy enough to undertake such a trip, and additionally, many of us of family commitments that cannot be put aside for that length of time. People who hike from Sarria are the also pilgrims. I have literally seen people hiking that 117 km experiencing heavy pain in almost every step...and I am not just talking blisters! I admire the people who have walked from France to Santiago, and think that it must be a wonderful experience, but my experience was wonderful too, and God-willing, I will get to do it again sometime in my life. Before commenting that people's shoes look too new, or their backpacks look too light, or that the distance they walk is to short, consider that you have not walked that distance in their shoes and do not know what effort and sacrifice it took to make that (shorter) walk.

Thank you for this. There are many of us who will never be able to get enough time off of work to hike the 778 km. I envy people who have such opportunities. Also, not all of us are healthy enough to undertake such a trip, and additionally, many of us of family commitments that cannot be put aside for that length of time. People who hike from Sarria are the also pilgrims. I have literally seen people hiking that 117 km experiencing heavy pain in almost every step...and I am not just talking blisters! I admire the people who have walked from France to Santiago, and think that it must be a wonderful experience, but my experience was wonderful too, and God-willing, I will get to do it again sometime in my life. Before commenting that people's shoes look too new, or their backpacks look too light, or that the distance they walk is to short, consider that you have not walked that distance in their shoes and do not know what effort and sacrifice it took to make that (shorter) walk.
Thank you for the reminder! It is indeed a privilege to be able to walk the longer paths in one go, both physically and related to job and life commitments.

If I was still an employee in someone else's company, or if I had no one at home looking after the dogs for months if needed, I could not stay away from home for more than a week or two. So I consider myself lucky.

I've just come across a website summarising and giving a critique of the film from a conservative Protestant Christian perspective. It might give some idea of the tone of the piece by noting that there is a trigger warning which reads "Miscellaneous Immorality: A pilgrim has a tattoo of the Virgin Mary on her arm." :cool:

€83,-
That alone merits strong condemnation from me. The height of something (arrogance? laziness? stupidity?) to not ask a native speaker to do the Spanish. Or at least someone capable of pronouncing the words correctly.
HOWEVER. note that someone else posted that there was actually very little Spanish in the film.

Last edited:

I have to agree, I walked out of the movie at the second half when they were bringing in the Catholic University, so my critique is about half the movie. I thought the scenes were ok, interviews good but not note worthy and I have seen better documentation in other films. Overall to me, quite boring. I think that is a shame, because given from where they started in the movie, it could have been so much better.

That alone merits strong condemnation from me. The height of something (arrogance? laziness? stupidity?) to not ask a native speaker to do the Spanish. Or at least someone capable of pronouncing the words correctly.
HOWEVER. note that someone else posted that there was actually very little Spanish in the film.
There was very little Spanish. It was not an issue.

The only subtitles when I saw it were in Spanish when someone spoke in English. The entire narration was in Spanish. IDK if you guys saw a different version.
Agree.

I've seen these same three and enjoyed them all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have to agree with the majority above who disliked the movie. I have completed the Camino Frances and the Portuguese Coastal, and could not follow what path or "Way" this movie was on. I didn't mind the guide was a Bishop, but he was no guide or knowledgeable about the Camino- there was no flow. Where did he start ? Zaragoza? Didn't even show when he arrived in Santiago. Saw a quick shot of the Botafumiero with no refence. Even when he stopped to do interviews there was no location. Many times in the film Muxia and Finisterre were shown with no reference to Santiago or the Camino. If I had never walked a Camino - this movie would not have encouraged me to make the pilgrimage. Very lackluster, disjointed and not well thought out. I would have walked out, but the popcorn the good.

The only subtitles when I saw it were in Spanish when someone spoke in English. The entire narration was in Spanish. IDK if you guys saw a different version.
That's odd, since the bishop's Spanish wasn't great.

I have to agree with the majority above who disliked the movie. I have completed the Camino Frances and the Portuguese Coastal, and could not follow what path or "Way" this movie was on. I didn't mind the guide was a Bishop, but he was no guide or knowledgeable about the Camino- there was no flow. Where did he start ? Zaragoza? Didn't even show when he arrived in Santiago. Saw a quick shot of the Botafumiero with no refence. Even when he stopped to do interviews there was no location. Many times in the film Muxia and Finisterre were shown with no reference to Santiago or the Camino. If I had never walked a Camino - this movie would not have encouraged me to make the pilgrimage. Very lackluster, disjointed and not well thought out. I would have walked out, but the popcorn the good.
He said at the beginning that they started in Zaragosa. He explained that Santiago was ready to give up when the Virgen appeared to him and said don't. Very similar to St. Peter and Quo Vadis. We've been to Zaragosa and loved it. Stayed two nights. In terms of religious pilgrims, it remains the number one pilgrimage shrine for Hispanics around the world. There is a mass every hour on the hour.

Walking from Logrono (or vice versa) you walk along the Ebro for days in Navarre (yes, it goes that far south) and then Rioja, mile after mile of vineyards and orchards. Once again, this was left out. We were most disappointed, but we've decided that one of these years, we'll start in Zaragosa and walk the "right way," not the wrong way as so many locals shouted to us. Of course, we were walking the right way since we started in Loyola, the start of the Camino Ignaciano, a very long and challenging camino.

Anthony, I am glad that you enjoyed the movie. We did not like it for the reasons that many have listed. I have walked several Caminos. My partner has not due to physical limitations. She watched to learn more about the Camino for herself. Something that has not been mentioned here is that there apparently are 2 versions, English and Spanish. Unfortunately for my partner, we were shown the Spanish version with no English subtitles despite the fact that the theater was in Los Angeles and no mention was made of the language versions. Lastly, I had originally thought that the Korean couple was the highlight of a bad film. The couple found out (for themselves) that they had many things to be thankful for. This was ruined, for me, by the long and very dramatic scene of the bishop's laying his hands on the couple. Somehow, for me, the couple's own discovery/enlightenment was usurped/minimized by this act. Buen Camino.

The couple found out (for themselves) that they had many things to be thankful for. This was ruined, for me, by the long and very dramatic scene of the bishop's laying his hands on the couple. Somehow, for me, the couple's own discovery/enlightenment was usurped/minimized by this act.
I too found it so very disconcerting. This couple experienced a profound moment of clarity in his/her life. A true moment of holiness, a profound experience of the Holy. The Bishop superfluously inserted himself.

Couldn't disagree more with the negative comments on the film. It all depends on your perspective; my wife and I thought it was a beautiful movie full of inspiring words and testimony. It was also created from a Catholic/Christian orientation under the guidance of a bishop, which was explained in the abstract of the film. Unlike a movie like "The Way" (which we enjoyed as well), "The Camino Within" was not a fictional construction. If you are looking for self-centered YT soundbites and a short reel summary of the Camino, this is not the movie for you. We appreciated that the documentary made us reflect on aspects of our faith and cue into the historical foundations of The Way. And the background music was an amazing addition.

That's odd, since the bishop's Spanish wasn't great.
Really? We are from Mexico and thought his Spanish was pretty good....certainly a lot better than most non-native speakers. Give the guy a break.

Reactions: KFH
If you are looking for self-centered YT soundbites and a short reel summary of the Camino, this is not the movie for you. We appreciated that the documentary made us reflect on aspects of our faith and cue into the historical foundations of The Way. And the background music was an amazing addition.
I am glad that the two of you appreciated the documentary. I am disappointed that you refer to those who did not like/enjoy the documentary as looking for "self-centered YT soundbites and a short reel summary of the Camino..." No, we were not looking for this when my partner and I went to see film. Buen Camino.

Really? We are from Mexico and thought his Spanish was pretty good....certainly a lot better than most non-native speakers. Give the guy a break.
If he actually speaks Spanish, even with an accent, I'll give him a pass. But if he was reading a script translated by someone else, no.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If he actually speaks Spanish, even with an accent, I'll give him a pass. But if he was reading a script translated by someone else, no.
Bishop Hying speaks Spanish. Below is an excerpt from a ten year old Catholic Herald webpage entitled "Honored to have a priest in the family".

“I think his three years in the DR [Dominican Republic] were a significant time in his priesthood for many reasons, but especially for him to cultivate his servant leadership and his love and understanding for the poor and for those who struggle in life,” he said. “Besides forcing him to become fluent in Spanish, a real asset for a bishop, it gave him a global perspective.”

Ability to speak Spanish an asset

Capuchin Fr. Niles J. Kauffman, the boys’ second cousin and coordinator of formation for the St. Clare Center at Cardinal Stritch University, admires Bishop Hying and said that his bilingual capabilities will help him in his new role because of the growing number of Hispanics in the Milwaukee Archdiocese.

Last edited:
hieudovan said:
The couple found out (for themselves) that they had many things to be thankful for. This was ruined, for me, by the long and very dramatic scene of the bishop's laying his hands on the couple. Somehow, for me, the couple's own discovery/enlightenment was usurped/minimized by this act.

I too found it so very disconcerting. This couple experienced a profound moment of clarity in his/her life. A true moment of holiness, a profound experience of the Holy. The Bishop superfluously inserted himself.
The bishop didn't insert himself. The couple was recounting what happened with the bishop.

The film showed the couple recounting the incident before it showed the scene of the bishop with them.

South Korea has a large Catholic population and they are a fervent group of people. We saw the man crying while the bishop was praying for him, so the feeling of "the bishop inserting himself" or "usurped enlightenment" is not from the couple, but from your own beliefs and perspective.

hieudovan said:

The bishop didn't insert himself. The couple was recounting what happened with the bishop.

The film showed the couple recounting the incident before it showed the scene of the bishop with them.

South Korea has a large Catholic population and they are a fervent group of people. We saw the man crying while the bishop was praying for him, so the feeling of "the bishop inserting himself" or "usurped enlightenment" is not from the couple, but from your own beliefs and perspective.
Thank you for this observation. I worked closely as a tutor to a South Korean Nun from the order of Chartres and she taught me so very very much about Catholicism and deep belief in Korea. I forget the particular stats on numbers of pilgrims who hail from Korea who get the compostela, but the numbers do bear out the observation.

The laying on of hands in very specific Catholic contexts. I have not seen and am unlikely to see the film as it's not due to be released where I live. Speaking to the specifics is, for me, impossible. But I know that devout Catholics would not agree that their experience would be minimised by this very intimate interaction between themselves and the Bishop.

I know that *I* would consider it an absolutely sacred privilege to have a Bishop perform such a rite.
Documentary film conventions require fully consent from participants who *feature* in a film (not from the crowds in the background). I have no reservations that these conventions would have been ignored; the church does not want to engender the ill-will that would come from having those featured in the film declare that they were not invited, asked permission, and so on.

Reactions: KFH
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this observation. I worked closely as a tutor to a South Korean Nun from the order of Chartres and she taught me so very very much about Catholicism and deep belief in Korea. I forget the particular stats on numbers of pilgrims who hail from Korea who get the compostela, but the numbers do bear out the observation.

The laying on of hands in very specific Catholic contexts. I have not seen and am unlikely to see the film as it's not due to be released where I live. Speaking to the specifics is, for me, impossible. But I know that devout Catholics would not agree that their experience would be minimised by this very intimate interaction between themselves and the Bishop.

I know that *I* would consider it an absolutely sacred privilege to have a Bishop perform such a rite.
Documentary film conventions require fully consent from participants who *feature* in a film (not from the crowds in the background). I have no reservations that these conventions would have been ignored; the church does not want to engender the ill-will that would come from having those featured in the film declare that they were not invited, asked permission, and so on.
I do know that many followers (Catholics and others) seek the "laying of the hand" by a religious person. I understand that they appreciate and are grateful for such a gesture. Maybe it can be seen as nit picking. However, my point is NOT that the couple does not want the act to be performed. They had asked for it. I thought that the couple had come to their "enlightened" insight by themselves. Many peregrinos learn "new" things/perspectives about their lives on the Camino. The prolonged and highlighted scene of the laying of the hands by the bishop lessened this very idea that the devout couple, and other peregrinos, can come upon this insight (and more) by walking the Camino. Buen Camino.

I would love suggestions for movies to watch about the Camino as I am a rabid fan of all things "Camino" right now and daily watch video and have read several great books recommended here by others
You may find some ideas in the video list and bibliography I maintain. I do have to update them again, but there are still some good things there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dunno which church folks think Santiago was stumping for when he went out to spread the word
I'm pretty sure the formal organization of the Catholic church, and the distinction between the Catholic church and any other church was far in the future when St. James went out to spread the word.

I wouldn't complain that the film is too Catholic. But neither would I characterize St. James as a Catholic. Heck, I'm not sure I would characterize St. Peter as a Catholic. I would call them Christians. Further distinctions were in the future.

Last edited:

€46,-
I'm pretty sure the formal organization of the Catholic church, and the distinction between the Catholic church and any other church was far in the future when St. James went out to spread the word.

I wouldn't complain that the film is too Catholic. But neither would I characterize St. James as a Catholic. Heck, I'm not sure I would characterize St. Peter as a Catholic. I would call them Christians. Further distinctions were in the future.
Well, I might go so far as to call them Christian Jews who were following the radical rabbi. But for Catholics, Peter is the first Pope. And here you know, I worry about the “no discussing religion” rule… so I will stop and merely cite Dorsey Armstrong as a leading Medievalist who demonstrates that nobody referred to the “Catholic Church” but only to “The Church” before 431 and that for those who lived in “Europe” after the putative fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th C and which some argue does not really happen until 1534 and the creation of the CofE, the church was Catholic. This is a historical debate rather than a religious one (and endlessly fascinating to me).

However, if I figure that the rule is intended to prevent people from slagging off particular religions, practices, or appearances of religious significance for many pilgrims, then honestly, I think this thread should have been shut down at the start.
Why?

Because there is a film in such limited release, that had a single viewing date, that it has no relevance for most forum readers (who cannot ever see it). But hearing that its Catholic stance offends walkers who imply that their spiritual love of the camino is ruined by the invasions of Catholicism or of a member of the Clergy strikes me as obviously bad manners on the face of it, as bigotry second, and as a deep lack of gratitude for the structures going back to the first century CE that are the foundation and the blood of the trail.
I’d like to suggest to moderators that this thread has no purpose for the forum, that many statements along the thread make offensive insults that are tediously hostile to Catholicism, and ought to be deleted.

Well, I might go so far as to call them Christian Jews who were following the radical rabbi. But for Catholics, Peter is the first Pope. And here you know, I worry about the “no discussing religion” rule… so I will stop and merely cite Dorsey Armstrong as a leading Medievalist who demonstrates that nobody referred to the “Catholic Church” but only to “The Church” before 431 and that for those who lived in “Europe” after the putative fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th C and which some argue does not really happen until 1534 and the creation of the CofE, the church was Catholic. This is a historical debate rather than a religious one (and endlessly fascinating to me).
Just as a point of clarification on this that some my find interesting - The word "catholic" comes from the Greek and simply means "universal." Back when it was just "The Church" it was referred to that way as it was the universal Christian church or catholic church.

Just as a point of clarification on this that some my find interesting - The word "catholic" comes from the Greek and simply means "universal." Back when it was just "The Church" it was referred to that way as it was the universal Christian church or catholic church.
Of course. The word 'catholic' has fallen out of usage in everyday English. As a result people often talk about 'The Catholic Church' when what they really mean is 'The Roman Catholic Church'. This causes no end of confusion. This thread is drifting away from a critique and discussion of a (apparently not awfully good film) into discussion of religion and even worse, discussion and critique of other people's religion, so it is time to close the thread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back