• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on starting Via de la Plata in May

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Due to family commitments my planned start date in April after Easter has been delayed.
I’d still like to walk this year if possible but am worried that a mid May start might be too hot.
We have just had the hottest summer on record in Western Australia so I’m used to hot days .
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
The other Camino I’m considering is Camino Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Due to family commitments my planned start date in April after Easter has been delayed.
I’d still like to walk this year if possible but am worried that a mid May start might be too hot.
We have just had the hottest summer on record in Western Australia so I’m used to hot days .
Hi
I have started the Frances and the Norte in mid May before and it was ok, had some hot days on the CF but nothing like the horrible, hot summer we have just had in WA. However I do think the Camino Madrid would be too hot for me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi
I have started the Frances and the Norte in mid May before and it was ok, had some hot days on the CF but nothing like the horrible, hot summer we have just had in WA. However I do think the Camino Madrid would be too hot for me.
Sorry, just dawned on me you were talking about the VDLP. If you find its too hot in Seville you could start further up like Salamanca. It will get cooler as you go north and the Sanabrese is amazing.

Hard to say what the weather will be like. I started from Malaga in early April, had a fair bit of rain and not too much heat.

By contrast I started the Levante from Valencia mid May and had lots of hot days. One day I took the bus because of the heat.

As a sandgroper, you may be able to handle the heat better than I. Heat didn't use to be too much of a problem for me, but since passing 60, I find it can be.

Keep hydrated (carry at least 2litres) and consider an umbrella against the sun.

It is a most enjoyable route.

Sorry, just dawned on me you were talking about the VDLP. If you find its too hot in Seville you could start further up like Salamanca. It will get cooler as you go north and the Sanabrese is amazing.
Yes perhaps starting in Salamanca is a better option.
I’ve been hoping to walk the VdlP from Seville since 2020 and now that the WA border is open and there is a possibility of travelling to Spain I am feeling anxious .. will it be too hot, will there be too many pilgrims and not enough beds, will I be able to walk the long distances etc
I think I’m overthinking it all !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hard to say what the weather will be like. I started from Malaga in early April, had a fair bit of rain and not too much heat.

By contrast I started the Levante from Valencia mid May and had lots of hot days. One day I took the bus because of the heat.

As a sandgroper, you may be able to handle the heat better than I. Heat didn't use to be too much of a problem for me, but since passing 60, I find it can be.

Keep hydrated (carry at least 2litres) and consider an umbrella against the sun.

It is a most enjoyable route.
I can tolerate the heat but prefer walking in cooler weather so I might consider starting elsewhere than Seville.
A sun umbrella is a good idea.

Start early, lunch, siesta under a shady tree, then walk some more if necessary during the early evening. If it gets too hot then there are buses & trains aplenty to take you northwards. Hat & plenty of water, she'll be right.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The year I walked the VDLP I started May 29th- way too late by conventional wisdom. That year was unusually cool and rainy at times so the heat was not a problem. Every year will be different. My input would be to go for it with the option of switching routes or going further north if it's too hot. Ditto the recommendation of a trekking umbrella.

I walked the VDLP last year starting in Mid October. It was 30+ every day for about 10 days. There are very long stretches without any towns. Many days without any towns from where you start to where you sleep. I was carrying 3 liters of water a day. I usually froze two liters if there was a fridge the night before to be more refreshing and to keep my food fresher. Remember you will be getting closer to summer every day you walk and probably getting a little hotter too. I had a friend who started in mid September some years back and he said the temperature was 40+ virtually every day. Leave very early have a UV reflective umbrella and and sunscreen. Call ahead to make sure albergues are open. I assume alot more will be open then when I walked.
My suggestion is to scrap the VDLP and walk the Norte instead. It will be cooler and really beautiful.

Seville is such a beautiful city that it would be too sad not to enjoy it. Remember that you will be walking from South to North - you will be walking towards the cooler area. You can also plan your days by starting at sunrise and most days will see you done by 13:00.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion is to scrap the VDLP and walk the Norte instead. It will be cooler and really beautiful.
The Norte was the last Camino I walked in March/ April 2019 and it was really beautiful.
I wanted to walk a different path this time.
Thanks you for all the advice on the VdlP

I started VDLP on 10 May. At times it was hot but the sun rises early so it was ok in the mornings and you can get most of your walking done before the afternoon. Certainly doable but it is Mother Nature. And if it gets unbearably hot just head north and get on another Camino. For example, I was on Camino Levante last July reaching Toledo when temperatures soared to 44C, we bussed to Ponferrada and walked the Invierno.

I did the Madrid also starting in late August so that was hot too but just stuck to the same rule of leaving early. I think choosing between the both very doable options is you are seeking lots of pilgrim interaction which you will get once you merge onto Frances from Madrid. The VDLP is much less populous and more intimate.

Last edited:
The Norte was the last Camino I walked in March/ April 2019 and it was really beautiful.
I wanted to walk a different path this time.
Thanks you for all the advice on the VdlP
I hope all works out for the best. I think it may be pretty hot leaving Madrid too but I am sure not as hot as Sevilla. Hopefully the Camino Gods will be with you and keep the temperature down. The VDLP is unlike any of the other Caminos I have walked. It will be a unique experience. If you have any questions about albergues or anything else that I may have knowledge about please feel free to write to me. Buen Camino peregrina.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started on June 7, 2015 arriving in Santiago 0n July 23. It was hot but I acclimatised easily coming from Darwin. The heat is like Central Australia with that dry heat where the sweat evaporates off you quickly. Parts of the Sanabres remind me of Central Otago in NZ. There was a heat wave that year but I seemed to find the one cloud in Spain on quite a bit of my trip so it was cloudy and on one occasion, drizzly. But it was also stinking hot especially on stretches when there are big road stretches. Northern Extremadura is the worst in that respect and it is really important to get your stops and distances right otherwise you will cop short or very long distances. You cannot take too much water and it is really important to manage water well otherwise you will be more prone to blisters. I was averaging about 250 ml per hour of water and would also take every opportunity to drink. I found that I felt cooler wearing sunnies and not having a hat because my dark hair traps heat. Since then I use a visor when hiking as shade over my eyes makes my brain think it is cooler. I also carry a silver reflective umbrella and it is like carrying your own portable shade treat and takes the temp down a couple of degrees which can save your arse on horror days. Heat index is worth a read in that respect. Well worth being out the door at dawn so that you have finished for the day by 3 pm at the latest as that is the hottest time of the day. I try to avoid walking when it is hotter than body temp. I tend to average 4 km per hour which includes toilet stops, breaks and taking lots of photos. Cafe con hielo becomes your favourite form of coffee. The good thing is that you are very unlikely to need heavy gear so you can travel much lighter compared to Feb/Mar when you have to consider late winter storms (been there, done that).
https://weatherspark.com/ is a great site because you can work out the range of likely conditions for where you will be based on historical records.

I did a Live from the Camino thread which gives a bit of detail. Everything is very golden in June and July and I find photos of a green VDLP quite weird. Summer is definitely doable with caution and good planning.

I started on June 7, 2015 arriving in Santiago 0n July 23. It was hot but I acclimatised easily coming from Darwin. The heat is like Central Australia with that dry heat where the sweat evaporates off you quickly. Parts of the Sanabres remind me of Central Otago in NZ. There was a heat wave that year but I seemed to find the one cloud in Spain on quite a bit of my trip so it was cloudy and on one occasion, drizzly. But it was also stinking hot especially on stretches when there are big road stretches. Northern Extremadura is the worst in that respect and it is really important to get your stops and distances right otherwise you will cop short or very long distances. You cannot take too much water and it is really important to manage water well otherwise you will be more prone to blisters. I was averaging about 250 ml per hour of water and would also take every opportunity to drink. I found that I felt cooler wearing sunnies and not having a hat because my dark hair traps heat. Since then I use a visor when hiking as shade over my eyes makes my brain think it is cooler. I also carry a silver reflective umbrella and it is like carrying your own portable shade treat and takes the temp down a couple of degrees which can save your arse on horror days. Heat index is worth a read in that respect. Well worth being out the door at dawn so that you have finished for the day by 3 pm at the latest as that is the hottest time of the day. I try to avoid walking when it is hotter than body temp. I tend to average 4 km per hour which includes toilet stops, breaks and taking lots of photos. Cafe con hielo becomes your favourite form of coffee. The good thing is that you are very unlikely to need heavy gear so you can travel much lighter compared to Feb/Mar when you have to consider late winter storms (been there, done that).
https://weatherspark.com/ is a great site because you can work out the range of likely conditions for where you will be based on historical records.

I did a Live from the Camino thread which gives a bit of detail. Everything is very golden in June and July and I find photos of a green VDLP quite weird. Summer is definitely doable with caution and good planning.
Thank you so much for your detailed response.
The information is very helpful and I will look for your Live thread.
It’s encouraging that you walked in June and July and I would be one month earlier.
I had also thought of the advantage of less gear but then more water probably balances that.
Will definitely be ordering a reflective umbrella !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have a chance...check out this YouTube video. Chris walked the VdlP in the warmer months, and provides an exceptional perspective of summer walking...particularly in the more southern regions of the VdlP.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back