• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three ladies walking need your help

kuki

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances
Hi you all
I am sure that these questions are the usual ones but I need everything in one lot.
We are three ladies walking with small health problems, for instance I cannot carry heavy weight on my back, so I would like to know...
Question A:How easy is it to get this network of putting your rucksack in a taxi to take it to the next sleeping point?
Can the rucksack be taken to the albergues and leave them there or is it too risky?

Question B: Could you explain the difference of these routes
1) Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua, Pedrouzo and santiago
Second choice
2) Sarria, Portomarin, lestedo, Coto,Castaneda, Rua and Santiago...I haven't be able to find some of these villages.
Questions 3:
where are the nicest albergues? I am planning to sleep in Albergues and hotels....alternative days to make sure I can sleep.....any recommendations of cheap places, private rooms for three ladies?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

A. It's easy and costs between €4 and €6 per stage. You can leave your bag at the albergue once you've checked in, but I would not leave anything I can't replace, such as electronics or cash or papers.

B. I'm not sure I understand your question. Those are villages along the route from Sarria to Santiago. The more villages you stop in, the fewer kilometers you walk per day.

C. You are talking about that busiest section of the Camino. There are lots of nice places to book. However, if you're going soon, I'd suggest you get on www.booking.com NOW and make bookings, as places are filling up fast for the Holy Year.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Annie

A. It's easy and costs between €4 and €6 per stage. You can leave your bag at the albergue once you've checked in, but I would not leave anything I can't replace, such as electronics or cash or papers.

B. I'm not sure I understand your question. Those are villages along the route from Sarria to Santiago. The more villages you stop in, the fewer kilometers you walk per day.

C. You are talking about that busiest section of the Camino. There are lots of nice places to book. However, if you're going soon, I'd suggest you get on www.booking.com NOW and make bookings, as places are filling up fast for the Holy Year.

Annie
Thank you Annie

The rucksuck transport ..is it individually or you get set in a group of bags?

the question 2 is the villages we have been given by tour operators...but we don't know wich one to follow. We want to walk 22 kilometres per day and stay two full days in Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi you three!
Have you seen this site? http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances If you click on the different sections you can see for yourselves where those different villages/towns are. Another way to check them out and perhaps help you decide is this camino distance planner: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Now I'm guessing *someone* is going to say this, so it might as well be me;-) Are you aware that you don't *need* a tour operator. Of course, if you want one, that is entirely your decision, but it is possible you may not realise that the way is well marked and you'll have no trouble simply turning up in Spain and walking. You can always book accommodation a night or two ahead if that gives you peace of mind, but you may well find that you enjoy being able to choose each day how far to walk. You might end up wanting to go on further than you thought you'd manage. Having that flexibility can be beneficial to many pilgrims.

All the best.

This depends on the time of year and if you are willing to sleep in albergues or if you want private lodgings. Affordable Private lodgings for the summer are beginning to fill up all the way through September. Because it is a Holy Year, I wouldn't be comfortable just walking into a village and expecting to find a bed if I were slower than a 50 year old. It will be a race for beds on the Sarria to Santiago stretch. You can always find taxis to the next village but for Catholics wanting the Compostela it's going to be a roll of the dice during the summer months in my opinion, because you are required to walk each step.

Most people are fine walking 22-28 kilometers per day. And this section from Sarria to Santiago is fairly flat and easy. I like the first option but I don't know of some of the villages in the second.

I have booked my first camino through a company called Follow the Camino. They booked all the hotels/guest houses, organised daily pickup/transfer of my luggage. I spent the extra money on this for a couple reasons (yes veterans, feel free to flame me). One being that although I live in the Kenyan bush and am used to long walks without markings and such, I have never done this before and even though the forums and talking with others who have done it is really good, at the end of it, it's how comfortable I feel. Second is that never having been very good at planning things myself, as mentioned above, beds can be difficult to find and I found myself getting frustrated trying to figure it out online from Kenya (where my internet connection isn't great and it took ages for pages to load). Another reason is that because I haven't done it before, combined with no idea what the weather was going to be like and that I tend to be an overpacker anyway, I feel more secure having a decently packed suitcase being transported with probably more than I need, but it means I can keep my backpack a lot lighter and know that I can adjust my layering/jackets/shoes every day. Plus, they also provide a 24 hour number for emergencies or to come get you if you can't go on.

Again, I did this just for a bit of 'insurance', something I probably will forgo the next time once I've done it the first time and have learned how well it's marked, how the albergues work, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buy a guide, visit a few web sites, and all your questions will be answered. Secret is that this process is the best part of the Camino.

I have booked my first camino through a company called Follow the Camino. They booked all the hotels/guest houses, organised daily pickup/transfer of my luggage. I spent the extra money on this for a couple reasons (yes veterans, feel free to flame me). One being that although I live in the Kenyan bush and am used to long walks without markings and such, I have never done this before and even though the forums and talking with others who have done it is really good, at the end of it, it's how comfortable I feel. Second is that never having been very good at planning things myself, as mentioned above, beds can be difficult to find and I found myself getting frustrated trying to figure it out online from Kenya (where my internet connection isn't great and it took ages for pages to load). Another reason is that because I haven't done it before, combined with no idea what the weather was going to be like and that I tend to be an overpacker anyway, I feel more secure having a decently packed suitcase being transported with probably more than I need, but it means I can keep my backpack a lot lighter and know that I can adjust my layering/jackets/shoes every day. Plus, they also provide a 24 hour number for emergencies or to come get you if you can't go on.

Again, I did this just for a bit of 'insurance', something I probably will forgo the next time once I've done it the first time and have learned how well it's marked, how the albergues work, etc.

Buen Camino @CykaUJ! Lots of people do the Camino in this way, so no one will criticise you for using an agency. It sounds like you're all set - as @mspath said, just relax and enjoy what will hopefully be a great experience.

One practical suggestion - Follow the Camino usually includes evening meals in its package, but it's possible to opt out of that aspect. As well as reducing the cost, this might give you more flexibility - especially if you meet others along the way and you would like to dine with them.

Good luck and enjoy every step!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino @CykaUJ! Lots of people do the Camino in this way, so no one will criticise you for using an agency. It sounds like you're all set - as @mspath said, just relax and enjoy what will hopefully be a great experience.

One practical suggestion - Follow the Camino usually includes evening meals in its package, but it's possible to opt out of that aspect. As well as reducing the cost, this might give you more flexibility - especially if you meet others along the way and you would like to dine with them.

Good luck and enjoy every step!

Thank you!

Ahhh I wish I had known that about FtC, I would have for sure opted out. (edit-I just checked my vouchers and it seems that I did opt out...they only say breakfast included) I'm a little cross with them right now because my pack did not arrive to the hotel where I am now, so I have no notes or anything yet.
To be honest though, I am a real introvert, seeing the posts about meeting so many people along the way kind of puts a little fear into me. It's not that I'm completely unfriendly, I don't have resting bitch face, and my friends seem to like me (haha), but I am hesitant to just strike up conversations with people and then feel obligated to spend time with them. This is my one and only fear about the camino. I don't want to be rude to people, but I dread turning someone down for conversation or dining and then seeing them every day on the camino! (hmmm, i'm not really endearing myself here, am I? :( )

I don't believe anyone will say anything negative, @CykaUJ about your choice.

Firstly, it's your Camino experience and your choice! Secondly, everyone who does something the first time will feel nervous to lesser or greater degrees depending on your experiences. Perhaps if you love the experience and decide to go again, you may decide to do things a little differently the 2nd time around. Or maybe not! Hakuna Matata!!

To your second thought, I too am an introvert and can share one of my greatest experiences about the Camino. That is, when you want to walk alone or be alone, people genuinely understood and respected that. Of course, there may always be an exception but from my experience, I was able to walk alone and contemplate anytime I wanted. In the end I made some wonderful, lasting friendships that I still value very much. Everyone has their own unique reason to walk the Camino and so most understand and accept if someone else has a different agenda. I hope you get out of it what you're looking for :D

Buen Camino,
Jordon

[/QUOTE]
I don't believe anyone will say anything negative, @CykaUJ about your choice.

Firstly, it's your Camino experience and your choice! Secondly, everyone who does something the first time will feel nervous to lesser or greater degrees depending on your experiences. Perhaps if you love the experience and decide to go again, you may decide to do things a little differently the 2nd time around. Or maybe not! Hakuna Matata!!

To your second thought, I too am an introvert and can share one of my greatest experiences about the Camino. That is, when you want to walk alone or be alone, people genuinely understood and respected that. Of course, there may always be an exception but from my experience, I was able to walk alone and contemplate anytime I wanted. In the end I made some wonderful, lasting friendships that I still value very much. Everyone has their own unique reason to walk the Camino and so most understand and accept if someone else has a different agenda. I hope you get out of it what you're looking for :D

Buen Camino,
Jordon

Thank you! I'm somewhat of an expert at appearing to look 'occupied', I have my earbuds in at all times, even if there is no music on. That generally makes people leave me alone. :D

I appreciate very much your insight, and hope that I DO meet a few people along the way that I would like to spend time with when I am feeling social. Very glad to hear that it's a very 'live and let live' vibe out there.

Cyka

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Put the fire extinguisher away! No flames. After you go the first time, you'll feel more confident. Have a wonderful time and let us know how it goes! Perhaps we'll meet you on the "Way".

Buen Camino---

Deb

Always remember, it is YOUR CAMINO! You will do what is necessary to support your effort as best you can. It is all good.

One of the basic "rules of the Camino" is that no pilgrim is in a position to judge how another pilgrim accomplishes their Camino. There are always unknown factors at play. Needs must...

I wish you a safe, pleasant and wonderful Camino.

Always remember, it is YOUR CAMINO! You will do what is necessary to support your effort as best you can. It is all good.

One of the basic "rules of the Camino" is that no pilgrim is in a position to judge how another pilgrim accomplishes their Camino. There are always unknown factors at play. Needs must...

I wish you a safe, pleasant and wonderful Camino.

I agree - 100%! I would love to see "no juzgues" as the unofficial credo :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Annie
Is this a Holy Year? When is the next one?

CykalJJ,

The only thing for you to do now is to relax and enjoy your camino! Please let us know how it all evolves.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

MM
Thank you!!
I absolutely will. I will be blogging it daily, link is in my bio. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Pope proclaimed 2016 as a Jubilee Year. This is different that a "Holy Year." Formal Holy Years occur when Sanitago's feast day (25 July) falls on a Sunday. The last one was in 2010. The next one falls in 2021.

A Jubilee Year, according to the Papal proclamation, is intended to increase works of mercy and penitential practice across the Catholic faithful, worldwide. It is intended to encourage Catholics to engage in works of mercy, and penitential activities such as pilgrimage. We Catholics hope that our example will induce others to follow our example regarding acts of mercy, and general good behavior.

Thus, and according to the Papal proclamation, a Catholic who completes a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela during the proclaimed Jubilee Year, is able to gain additional spiritual benefits than might normally be the case in "off years." For example, for those entering the Cathedral through the special Holy Door, then performing the several spiritual exercises specified for Catholics, obtain a plenary indulgence. This is a really BIG deal for observant Catholics.

Simply put, if you accomplish what the Church requirements, your soul is released from all time in Purgatory waiting to be admitted to Heaven. The indulgence dates from your baptism (at which time, we are considered pure and without any stain of sin) through when you completed the necessary requirements for the indulgence during the Jubilee Year (or a Holy Year). That is why this will appeal to many Catholics.

This applies to the Catholic faithful, and is purely a spiritual exercise. I am not in a position to opine on the spiritual effect on non-Catholics. But, I rather suspect that the effect is all good.:)

In any event, this inducement offered by the Pope will cause larger than usual number of pilgrims to walk pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. In turn, this will increase traffic and demand for all services all along the Camino.

Finally, I do not know which specific Cathedral door has been identified as "THE" Holy Door, but I am certain it will be made known when you arrive at Santiago de Compostela.

I hope this helps...

Hi you three!
Have you seen this site? http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances If you click on the different sections you can see for yourselves where those different villages/towns are. Another way to check them out and perhaps help you decide is this camino distance planner: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Now I'm guessing *someone* is going to say this, so it might as well be me;-) Are you aware that you don't *need* a tour operator. Of course, if you want one, that is entirely your decision, but it is possible you may not realise that the way is well marked and you'll have no trouble simply turning up in Spain and walking. You can always book accommodation a night or two ahead if that gives you peace of mind, but you may well find that you enjoy being able to choose each day how far to walk. You might end up wanting to go on further than you thought you'd manage. Having that flexibility can be beneficial to many pilgrims.

All the best.
Thank you for the great info it made my life easier to tell my friends.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you for the great info it made my life easier to tell my friends.

I am not sure if I am saying tank you to all of you who has given me great information.
Now is time to buy the flight and organise the hotelfor my friends....I want to sleep in the albergues and the hotels alternative days...I want to look after my friends but at the same time to live the experience of Camino de Santiago
Thank you all

Hi you all
I am sure that these questions are the usual ones but I need everything in one lot.
We are three ladies walking with small health problems, for instance I cannot carry heavy weight on my back, so I would like to know...
Question A:How easy is it to get this network of putting your rucksack in a taxi to take it to the next sleeping point?
Can the rucksack be taken to the albergues and leave them there or is it too risky?

Question B: Could you explain the difference of these routes
1) Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua, Pedrouzo and santiago
Second choice
2) Sarria, Portomarin, lestedo, Coto,Castaneda, Rua and Santiago...I haven't be able to find some of these villages.
Questions 3:
where are the nicest albergues? I am planning to sleep in Albergues and hotels....alternative days to make sure I can sleep.....any recommendations of cheap places, private rooms for three ladies?
Hi I used Jacotrans absolutely no worries. I have only done the first one, and I staye , hostals the entire Camino loved them!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Finally, I do not know which specific Cathedral door has been identified as "THE" Holy Door, but I am certain it will be made known when you arrive at Santiago de Compostela.
It opens onto Praza Quintana. You can go in, but you cannot go out!! A guard is posted to prevent using it as an exit.

It opens onto Praza Quintana. You can go in, but you cannot go out!! A guard is posted to prevent using it as an exit.
Isn't it the small metallic looking, beautiflly carved greenish-greyish door near the steps to go up and visit Santiago's statue?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Everybody
I have mycertificate books, my friend is buying the flights and I am responsable for the acomodation for Valos - Brea
we walk 22 kilometres every day. The next one Portela
Do you recomend somewhere to stay around those places? anything particular to see?
Thank you

Hi you three!

All the best.

Hi Everybody
I have mycertificate books, my friend is buying the flights and I am responsable for the acomodation for Valos - Brea
Do you recommend somewhere to stay around those places? anything particular to see?
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Wow. Holy Doors are only one way? I mean no disrespect but does that mean it doesn't work if you go out of it then complete the rest of the formula? Or if you have qualified for the indulgence then go out of the Holy Door you came in does that negate the indulgence and you have to start again?

Wow. Holy Doors are only one way? I mean no disrespect but does that mean it doesn't work if you go out of it then complete the rest of the formula? Or if you have qualified for the indulgence then go out of the Holy Door you came in does that negate the indulgence and you have to start again?
It is a curious rule/policy. It may have some basis in tradition, mythology, or superstition. I am curious to know the real answer (your turf, Johnny. Maybe someone in the Pilgrim Office can find the answer).

I passed freely in and out through the Holy Door in 2004. Multiple times. It may simply be that sometimes there is a long queue of people waiting to get in, and people exiting would interfere with that so they are directed elsewhere.

We seemed to have strayed far from the original question, but as it was asked in January, I assume the OP has her answer.

It is interesting to read @CykaUJ posts in light if her recent posts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In January I had the entire Cathedral almost to myself, but the guard prevented me from leaving through the door to the empty Praza da Quintana. I found it very curious, and can relate only my personal experience. I watched the opening of the door on the webcam, and the very long parade of priests all went from the Praza into the Cathedral. I have watched the webcam a few times since, and have not seen anyone leaving, only entering. It may just be zealous guards enforcing a policy that is for summer crowds. Minor functionaries can be very rules-oriented! I had a superstitious roommate once who had to leave a building by the same door he entered. The Holy Door policy would make him catatonic, I think. ;)

Hi Everybody
Do you recommend somewhere to stay around those places? anything particular to see?
Thank you
If you are looking for somewhere at A Brea (Gronze etapa 32) itself there was O Meson on the main road, signed 80mts off the camino - private rooms and private albergue.
I don't recognise the other names but in Arzua the Albergue Quijote had private rooms as well as the albergue (in 2012)

Thank you!

...To be honest though, I am a real introvert, seeing the posts about meeting so many people along the way kind of puts a little fear into me. It's not that I'm completely unfriendly, I don't have resting bitch face, and my friends seem to like me (haha), but I am hesitant to just strike up conversations with people and then feel obligated to spend time with them. This is my one and only fear about the camino. I don't want to be rude to people, but I dread turning someone down for conversation or dining and then seeing them every day on the camino! (hmmm, i'm not really endearing myself here, am I? :( )

I have walked three CF caminos and I felt exactly like you do on my first Camino. I made no friends, ate most of my meals alone, and was in introvert heaven. It was a time in my life I desperately wanted to be alone. And guess what? It was easy. People sensed that about me and I could have a short, casual conversation and not feel pressured to dine with them, etc. It worked really well. On my most recent Camino, I was more social than I am at home and loved every minute of it. But I do think people will sense how social you want to be and not intrude. And there is nothing wrong with telling them, "hey, thanks for invite to dine/get together, but I'm feeling like being alone right now." They will totally get it. Don't worry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back