• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three things that you would not do at home...

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
...and do daily during the camino
1) Say "hello, good morning" to EVERYONE you see, the whole day.
2) Entering a restaurant and share a table with strangers.
and finally
3) SHARE every day a bedroom with three or sometimes seven other females.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Start a conversation with strangers by asking about the state of their feet.

Dry your underwear during the day by pinning it to your backpack.

Obsessively search for, and follow arrows (unless you're in Ikea).

Only three? I could list more... these came to mind immediately
1. drink beer
2. purchase a big hunk of chocolate every two or three days
3. invite someone I don't know to join me for a drink or dinner

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
y'all are great :D Maybe just maybe with one caminante at the time we could change the world :D

Zo

Haha!

1. Sleep in tomorrow's clothes... regularly
2. Eat breakfast in a bar ... regularly
3. Check for bedbugs every night before I sleep

1 Ask someone to stamp my 'passport' so I could show where I had been every day.
2 Carry my change of clothes etc around with me in a rucksac all day every day.
3 Aim to sleep in a different town/village every day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I second what Annie said. Except to amplify--I drink cafe grande con leche on the Camino and never do at home; I also eat a yogurt, a pastry or tostada, a banana and some digestive crackers for breakfast which I never do at home. And sometimes even more than one breakfast, depending on bar availability!

But then there is that pesky little thing called vino tinto which is consumed every day (once a week or so at home) and in far greater quanities than at home.

1. only apply sun tan lotion to the left-hand side of my body. The result of a long walk east to west under the Iberian sky, most especially across the meseta.
2. sleep deeply, soundly the sleep of those wearied well by enriching motion. oft times in the afternoon too.
3. experience joy and freedom in the moment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eating lentils all the time! They're not something I would have been drawn to beforehand, but well cooked they're just what you need on Camino. I'm still not sure exactly what they are, though... :?

Nearly every day hand-wash my socks and underwear
Translate from Dutch, German, English, French into Spanish and vice versa for fellow-pilgrims
Greet and be greeted with "Buen Camino" (Ohhh, I miss those words)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

I don´t walk/hike at home.
I don´t carry rucksack at home.
I don´t worry about bed bugs at home (not yet).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got involved in drug-dealing for the first time. I exchanged some salt-replacement powder for some Paracetamol, or something. Very exciting, it was. :twisted:

1) sleep soundly is spite of a symphony of snores;
2) sleep soundly in a zipped-up mummy bag and not feel claustrophobic or an urgent need to stretch all my limbs concomitantly in different directions;
3) drink whole milk (in café con leche) and eat at least a whole rustic baguette (pan del pueblo) with a generous chunk of full-fat sheep's cheese every day and not worry about its glycemic index or my cholesterol (oh, I miss that one so much!...)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whalleyranger said:
Start a conversation with strangers by asking about the state of their feet.

Dry your underwear during the day by pinning it to your backpack.

Obsessively search for, and follow arrows (unless you're in Ikea).

peregrinacheena said:
1. Take candy from strangers
2. brush my teeth standing in between men in tight underpants, men I never met before
3. screaming buen camino

:lol: :lol: :lol: my favourites

funny thread!

1 On rainy days, having a "café con gotas",( coffee with "strong drops") at 8 in the morning just because my feet are already wet...
2.....a few hours later, don't mind walking with wet feet, got used to it
3.....singing happily in the pouring rain, never mind the weather, I'm on the Camino!!

Josefine

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Put any of these - rucksack, contents, walking poles - on the breakfast table while packing in the morning.

I don´t do it on the Camino either but some seem to think it´s OK.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1. Be silent for hours and hours at a time.
2. Be asked by a complete stranger to pray for them in Santiago.
3. Believe that all Germans are trained to get up in the dark and make lots of noise.

1. Reduce my insulin intake by 60%.
2. Carry loo paper with me at all times.
3. Err, uhmm, shower.

1. Pack my stuff in plastic packets.
2. Sing girl guide camping songs at the top of my voice as I walk.
3. Walk into a bar and buy a drink so that I can use the loo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1. Go to bed at 9pm (and actually fall asleep!)
2. Visit bars every day.
3. Eat bread with meals and chocolate in between.

There are 100 things but her's my three :)
1. Eat fish from a tin with wine from a mug on a pavement somewhere and think I am in heaven
2. Share a room (Dorm) with strangers and think that is the "in" thing to do
3. Walk more than 100meters per day (I have a car at home) :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What's that about bread with meals, and chocolate in between?
I thought bread and chocolate was a meal!!!

Drink 3 litres of water every day.

Swallow the drugs offered me by strangers because it seemed the hospitable thing to do.
(I was sitting by the trail, boots and socks off, contemplating my blisters. The peregrina was so thoughtful and kind. I think the pills were pain killers. How could I say no?)

Have all the fat in a chorizo liquify in the heat. Lucky it was new, and still sealed in its skin. No mess or bother, as I flung it into the bush off the side of the trail.

Lose 22 pounds, (10 kg) in six weeks. I gained it all back after I returned home.

Three words....

Wearing "socks with sandals".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7En0z2A38c[/youtube]

David said:
1. Be silent for hours and hours at a time.
2. Be asked by a complete stranger to pray for them in Santiago.
3. Believe that all Germans are trained to get up in the dark and make lots of noise.

Oh that last one is sooo funny. I loved everyone I met. But the Germans were delightful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back