• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three week Camino is on!

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
I was planning to complete the Camino Portugues with my girlfriend that we had to abort last year because of injuries. Infortunately, she hurt her back at work last week and I do not want to finish it without her so that is on hold for this year. I only have three weeks so not enough time to do a full Camino Frances. I am thinking of doing stretches of some of the Alternative paths of the Camino that I did not do in 2014. Walking to Pamplona using the Val Carlos path instead of the Napoleon. Taking the train and then walking from Terradillos de Los Templerios to Leon (missed that bit in 2014). Taking the train again to Ponferrada and then a final run to Santiago via Samos Monastery. Bad idea and wait to do a full Camino or just go for it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Samos is worth seeing

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Doing Caminos in stages is a time-honored European tradition, so no need to feel that this is inadequate in any way. To paraphrase a bumper sticker seen occasionally: "The worst day on a Camino is better than the best day at the office"!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a similar dilemma last year- only 3 weeks off work but wanted to walk CF. I favored starting in SJPP & walking till we (sister & I) ran out of time, then train forward to SdC. My sister pointed out the possibility we may never return (from US) to complete CF so we should "jump forward" to places we did not want to miss, which is what we did. Though I'm glad I saw interesting places I would have missed if we walked my way, I felt we lost some of the spiritual & emotional connection because the trip felt "disjointed" to me. Choose what feels right for you but remember, flexibility is the key to rewarding travel. If how you begin the walk isn't working for you, then reflect on WHY, explore options, decide, then head out! There's not really a wrong way; just keep moving. Buen Camino

If I was 20 years old again the Camino in 3 weeks would have been possible, but I will be 62 in May and with a bad knee and a bad back it is impossible! I guess in the end the Camino Frances is really in your head, no matter which part you are walking. Nothing like getting up a mountain and seeing the landscape unfold below you or seeing a long lazy road with Pilgrims walking in the distance. In the end it is the feeling of the Camino Frances I am after and nothing else. So I need to get a plane ticket and hit the ground running, the rest will sort itself out!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Went to see a Travel Agent about some tickets today, waiting on availability for the dates I requested.
I finally decided on a Shorter Camino 3 week Camino in three stages. My walking partner hurt her back at work, so we won't be completing the Camino Portuguese this year. I decided to walk a partial Camino Frances on my own.

- Number 1: St Jean Pied de Port via Val Carlos to Pamplona. I did the Napoleon Route in 2014.

- Number 2: Pamplona to Terradillos de Templarios by train & taxi.

- Number 3: Hitting the trail again from Terradillos de Templarios to Santiago de Compostella.

It sounds wonderful JP. I would really like to walk the Valcarlos route one day, I know it is beautiful from the car and a couple days in Pamplona would be wonderful. Three weeks is a good length of time to walks in my opinion too.

I hope you enjoy every step.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well tickets are bought! I got a direct flight from Montreal to Bordeaux and now I have to figure how to get the train from Bordeaux to St-Jean Pied de Port. I should start walking on the 13th of May.

Last edited:
Took delivery of my plane tickets from the Travel Agent today and received my Credential by mail from our Provincial Camino Association this afternoon. Only have to get my backpack ready, may have to pack and repack it a few times to get my weight to 9 or 10 kilos. My plane leaves for Bordeaux (direct flight) on the 11th and a then I take a train to St Jean Pied de Port. I booked a room at Hotel Ramuntcho to get over Jet Lag and I will start walking on the 13 of May!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walking a few days with a pack that is too heavy will help encourage anyone to lighten the load. What is too heavy to one person is just right to another though.

Buen Camino!

I wish I could get the pack down to 8 Kilos, but that won't happen. If I do not go over 10 Kilos I will be happy!

Tic Toc......................In 7.30 hours I will on a plane for France! Arriving in Bordeaux tomorrow morning at 6.40 AM the 12 of May 2017.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are doing great JP!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in El Ganso tonight, going to Cruz de Ferro tomorrow. Saw David at Casa de Dios yesterday, he was doing great. I Will post a photo when I return to Canada.

In Melide this afternoon, short day of walking and rest before the final run. I will be in Santiago on the 4th of June.

My second Camino is over tonight, I am in Santiago with all the gaps of the first one filled in
Very tired, but very happy also!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulation JP! Enjoy your last few hours in Santiago.

Congratulations on finishing your pilgrimage and Buen camino de la Vida, SY

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back