• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three weeks for Frances - where to start?

ravichok

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk 2017
Hello all,

I was planning to walk my first Camino in July/Aug 2017 and had initially planned on walking the Camino Portuges as I am limited to three weeks time. I figured that would give me plenty of time to complete CP and have some extra days to explore.

However reading through these forums, I get the feeling that for my first Camino I would miss out on the community aspect of meeting other pilgrims by taking a less walked path. What would you recommend, and if the Frances is ideal - where should I start walking to get to SdC in time without feeling too rushed.

Thank you for the excellent advice I'v received so far on these forums.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Portuguese route takes about 26 days. Last time I did it there was no lack of pilgrims, especially from Porto and crowded from Tui

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Really difficult to judge. People walk differently, wake up at different times and spend different amounts of time in museums, cathedrals etc. I tried going 25 km per day and found myself arriving at 2pm with little to do as most people were on siesta. Ask yourself these questions:
- How many hours per day do you plan to walk?
- How fast do you walk?
- What time each day (usually) are you ready to walk?
When I did this I counted around 30-35 kms per day and I was NOT rushing but as I say everyone is different. I met a danish fitness freak who did the Frances in 21 days and a scottish woman who did it in 52 so as you can see there is no straight answer.
Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am also curious of this same question. I am doing my first camino (frances). I plan to arrive July 5 and leave July 26/27. I was planning to start at Burgos and get to Santiago before the 25th to enjoy the feast/festival. However, after looking at guide books / itineraries I realized I might be pushing it. I consider myself fit but also want to enjoy the scenery and culture. Like Craig mentioned that 30-35 km was generally no problem...what is a "normal" amount to hike each day?

Last year I walked from Burgos to Santiago in 19 days of walking (no rest days). I am in my early 50's and spend most of my day behind a desk (I'm an academic), so I am not in "good shape" by any stretch of the imagination. One advantage of Burgos is that it easy to get to from Madrid — a ~2 hour bus ride leaving from the airport. I then flew back to Madrid from Santiago on an early morning flight to catch a flight back to the US.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done the Camino in 4 weeks, as others have said all depends on your own speed and fitness. If you do not feel you can manage to complete in the time you have I suggest you start at at Jean and pick out places along the way you really wish to visit, then use public transport to miss out less favorable parts. Many people find they have over estimated their ability and end up doing this, so long as you do the last bit from Saris you still get certificate, and you get to see some of the most beautiful parts of the Camino. You will meet great people and many like you will be limited by time,and may also be doing a little bus hoping, buen Camino

Hello all,

I was planning to walk my first Camino in July/Aug 2017 and had initially planned on walking the Camino Portuges as I am limited to three weeks time. I figured that would give me plenty of time to complete CP and have some extra days to explore.

However reading through these forums, I get the feeling that for my first Camino I would miss out on the community aspect of meeting other pilgrims by taking a less walked path. What would you recommend, and if the Frances is ideal - where should I start walking to get to SdC in time without feeling too rushed.

Thank you for the excellent advice I'v received so far on these forums.
Hi , why not begin your Camino in SJPdP and walk to Leon.
And than you come back to the Camino to pick up your walk where you ended it.

When you want to go to Santiago this time you can begin in Burgos.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.