• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three weeks from Pamplona?

hwangdan

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2017
Hello,
I'll be walking the camino frances for three weeks in august. Of all the cities on the route, I'd really love to see Pamplona so I was considering using that as my starting point. Is it reasonable to walk from Pamplona to Santiago in three weeks? I am in pretty good shape (crossfit 5 days a week) so fitness level isn't really a concern.

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Compound those 35km days with the heat of August... I guess it could be done by a fit person but the question quickly would become 'why'?!? I think I'd be tempted to figure out how many kms you can walk a day comfortably in 30+ degree weather with your full pack weight and do a regression and pick somewhere around there as a starting point. Pamplona is a great city, one of my favorites, but also has a bus station so you can go there for a short stay and then bus to a different jump off point!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
YEs, You can do it....

I have twice averaged Pamplona-Santiago in 20 days without any "I need to" plans.... It just happened...

I`m not sure this would be true while in the august heat though... Things are much harder during summer time... Lots of feet problems that just wont go away ( at least for me)...

Good luck and buen camino! :)

Hello,
I'll be walking the camino frances for three weeks in august. Of all the cities on the route, I'd really love to see Pamplona so I was considering using that as my starting point. Is it reasonable to walk from Pamplona to Santiago in three weeks? I am in pretty good shape (crossfit 5 days a week) so fitness level isn't really a concern.

Thanks!

Possible but not recomended buen
Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, this is definitely an endurance challenge, and keeping up a 35km/day pace is really tough. Fitness is only part of the equation. Walking for hours every day, day after day is very different than doing an hour or intense exercise each day. And 35 km/day is 7 hours of walking if you can average 5km/hr. If you've never done that before, its hard to predict how your feet and body are going to react to it. I am reasonably fit, and muscle fatigue was never my limiting factor.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brierley's guide suggests 33 days from SJPdP to Santiago and 3 days from SJPdP to Pamplona so, even without spending a day in Pamplona you would be attempting to do what he thinks is 30 days walking in only 21. My suggestion is spend some time in Pamplona and then use transportation to Burgos, spend a day there and then walk. Brierley's guide has 21 days from there to Santiago. That means you will still have to walk farther than average each day to make up for the touring time but the trip won't be all that bad. Leon is a good place to tour also. If you go fast enough rest there too.

Hello,

Thanks!

No its not reasonable to walk from Pamplona to Santiago in three weeks.

Even if you are up to it physically ... what would be the point?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, this is definitely an endurance challenge, and keeping up a 35km/day pace is really tough. Fitness is only part of the equation. Walking for hours every day, day after day is very different than doing an hour or intense exercise each day. And 35 km/day is 7 hours of walking if you can average 5km/hr. If you've never done that before, its hard to predict how your feet and body are going to react to it. I am reasonably fit, and muscle fatigue was never my limiting factor.

Why not 10 hours of walking? Sure, a lot of Camino walkers do a 5 to 7 hour day, but that leaves a lot of extra "down" time during daylight hours.

Nobody on this forum can tell you what YOU can do.

Your level of fitness is not necessarily decisive. I met a a young marathon runner in Arzua who told me that he was very fit, but that running marathons was completely different from walking the Camino with a pack. He cheerfully said that after 100 km his feet were destroyed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that if you want to see Pamplona, you should go there first. Then, use some public transport to get to a more reasonable start point, or research and figure out which part you "least" want to walk and transport ahead. If you want to get your pilgrim certificate for walking the last 100 km, of course, you no doubt have been told that you need to walk from Sarria without using public transport (and get two stamps per day).

The previous comments are spot on. I saw many extremely fit young people zooming ahead of me every day, and many of those people needed first aid at night. Feet just don't hold up great for many folks. Your muscles, fitness, and general attitude of "can do" might say yes, but the feet are a tricky matter.

I would not push my own feet to do that many kms. per day. I can handle the occasional long, long day, but mostly you've got to put in those routine 16-24 km. days and then do the huge push day, when it's a good walk and weather holds.

Aside from the feet just not holding up, you may find that you meet a friend, love a town, want to linger longer. I think a flexible approach is best. All this said, if you are approaching it like a "must get from point a to point b," have at it! Whatever suits YOU!

Buen Camino!

YEs, You can do it....

I have twice averaged Pamplona-Santiago in 20 days without any "I need to" plans.... It just happened...

I`m not sure this would be true while in the august heat though... Things are much harder during summer time... Lots of feet problems that just wont go away ( at least for me)...

Good luck and buen camino! :)

I agree with that. In August you may find it much more difficult to carry on walking in the afternoons.... Say you do 5km/hr, you'll need 7 hours. You may go MUCH slower in the heat and/or if it is a hilly etapa.
Your call :)

I think that if you want to see Pamplona, you should go there first. Then, use some public transport to get to a more reasonable start point, or research and figure out which part you "least" want to walk and transport ahead. If you want to get your pilgrim certificate for walking the last 100 km, of course, you no doubt have been told that you need to walk from Sarria without using public transport (and get two stamps per day).

The previous comments are spot on. I saw many extremely fit young people zooming ahead of me every day, and many of those people needed first aid at night. Feet just don't hold up great for many folks. Your muscles, fitness, and general attitude of "can do" might say yes, but the feet are a tricky matter.

I would not push my own feet to do that many kms. per day. I can handle the occasional long, long day, but mostly you've got to put in those routine 16-24 km. days and then do the huge push day, when it's a good walk and weather holds.

Aside from the feet just not holding up, you may find that you meet a friend, love a town, want to linger longer. I think a flexible approach is best. All this said, if you are approaching it like a "must get from point a to point b," have at it! Whatever suits YOU!

Buen Camino!
I second all that. August will most likely be very hot, and thos last 10K may be veery hard. Also, as many have said, physical ability is less of an issue than serious feet problems with such a distance each day. I have seen many young, able and fit with serious feet issues after just a few days.

For me, the best plan is to not have a plan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why not 10 hours of walking? Sure, a lot of Camino walkers do a 5 to 7 hour day, but that leaves a lot of extra "down" time during daylight hours.

If your body is up to that amount of walking, then sure - go for it - no reason not to if you want to walk that many hours if you want to. Most people I met on the Camino were not up for that amount of walking day after day though. My feet feet were my limiting factor most days, and they were pretty much done after about 6 hours each day - at my pace, that's 24km - so that's the max that I can reasonably do in a day if I'm going to get up tomorrow and do it again, and then the next day again. I didn't actually know this until I got there because I'd never tried walking that many hours for days and days in a row. And I think most of us are in that position - just don't know how our bodies will adapt to walking for hours and hours every day, regardless of fitness.

If your body is up to that amount of walking, then sure - go for it - no reason not to if you want to walk that many hours if you want to. Most people I met on the Camino were not up for that amount of walking day after day though. My feet feet were my limiting factor most days, and they were pretty much done after about 6 hours each day - at my pace, that's 24km - so that's the max that I can reasonably do in a day if I'm going to get up tomorrow and do it again, and then the next day again. I didn't actually know this until I got there because I'd never tried walking that many hours for days and days in a row. And I think most of us are in that position - just don't know how our bodies will adapt to walking for hours and hours every day, regardless of fitness.

5 months on the Pacific Crest Trail and 30 days on the Colorado Trail: Avg length of hiking day was 11 hours. My avg. pace, with 24 pound pack = 2.8 mph (4.5 km/h). Hundreds of thru hikers on the PCT and the Appalachian Trail do similar lengths and speed. The average person on the Camino is not a distance walker, so won't be able to handle the stress of long days. Others can and will and will do just fine.

Me... I love walking and get bored and antsy with not walking during daylight hours. Most on the forum have their own schedule for a day of walking. I expect that 25 to 30 mile days will do me just fine, for most Camino walkers, half those distances will seem like a long day. :)

Past year I started in Najera and I needed 17 days to come to Santiago. Some days I walked 20kms, some more than 40.

The major handicap will be the weather, but if you make breaks enough and drink water enough you'll be right.

On the other hand some days you'll finish your walking in the evening which could be a challenge to find a bed.

I love walking for hours, quietly, over 4'5km/h, but it's true that I use to do it in springtime.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back