• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three weeks in December

insightful-ear

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto-Finesterre-Muxia-A Coruna-Santiago
Aug/Se22
I have three weeks vacation in December and am considering Camino Mozarabe, starting in Malaga until my time is up. I will return home for Christmas. Anyone have insights about this route at this time of year?

Thanks B

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought someone with direct experience might reply but as they haven't, I'll contribute my thoughts - I've followed some pilgrims who walked the route in January. It can be done, but you need to be ready for solitude and cold.

With three weeks, you might have enough time to reach Merida - If you enjoy exploring places on the way, you could consider doing some sightseeing in Malaga, Cordoba, and Merida. (Baena, Medellin, and Don Benito are also nice towns to look around as you pass through). Merida would be a good place to finish. I've heard that the Basilica of Santa Eulalia in Merida is one of the earliest recorded pilgrimage sites in Spain.

You can expect to have a solitary Camino. The Malaga route doesn't go as high in altitude as the route from Almeria but temperatures in Baena, Cordoba, and Merida may hover from around freezing point up to low double figures in December. (Check climate graphs online). Some albergues may lack heating, so you'll need a winter sleeping bag. I believe that they should all be open, though. You could contact the Malaga and Badajoz associations via their facebook / web pages to confirm.

Sara walked December last year, didn't she? She has made wonderful and very cheerful vlogs about her Málaga - Córdoba camino.

And now I want to go as well...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back