A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Through Delaware and Eastern Maryland

Dave

Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I've been walking the American Discovery Trail for five days now. Well, four full days following the ceremonial opening 5k from Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delaware. It has broken down as follows:
  • 25 Feb - Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delware - Post
  • 26 Feb - Lewes to Milford, Delaware - Post
  • 27 Feb - Milford, DE to Denton, Maryland - Post
  • 28 Feb - Denton to Chester, Maryland - Post
  • 29 Feb - Chester to Annapolis, Maryland - Post
Despite my worst fears about late-February weather on the East Coast, I've had sunshine every day but the first. The wind was quite unpleasant on day two, but otherwise things have been gorgeous. The walking in this opening ~100 miles has been primarily on pavement. Aside from the inland climb from the beach, Delaware was 100% paved. (I should note that I broke from the ADT to detour to Milford, for better accommodation/food options, but I think the state would have been non-stop asphalt regardless.) There have been a couple of stretches on dirt roads in Maryland, but it has also primarily been backroads and minor highways. For the most part, auto traffic has been minimal, and I've enjoyed very quiet walking through farm country.

The pilgrimage connections are strong. I was joined for dinner in Lewes by Terry and her husband, both camino vets. Forum member and photo-journalist Fritz accompanied me through the first two full days in order to document the experience, with plans to return intermittently along the way. (His pics were picked up by an Estonian news source; the caption under the picture is not quite accurate.) Tonight, in Annapolis, I'm being hosted by a Way of St. Francis walker.

Annapolis, I should note, is splendid, with a lovely historic core around the state house. It's understandably overshadowed by DC, but you could do a lot worse than a weekend here.

Speaking of which, I'm two days from DC, where I'll spend a couple of nights with another forum member, and then transition to the C&O canal, where I'll be freed from pavement for a good long stretch.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I love Annapolis. I spent 4 years at St. John's College there, and then my mother lived there for 6 years. Lots of bricks-- Have a crabcake and some oysters!

I grew up hiking on the C&O. :) Oh hey, I never got back to you about staying with my friend in West Virginia. Do you still need a place? She lives in Hedgesville, not far from your route.

Camino(s) past & future
First Camino April-May 2017
I've been walking the American Discovery Trail for five days now. Well, four full days following the ceremonial opening 5k from Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delaware. It has broken down as follows:
  • 25 Feb - Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delware - Post
  • 26 Feb - Lewes to Milford, Delaware - Post
  • 27 Feb - Milford, DE to Denton, Maryland - Post
  • 28 Feb - Denton to Chester, Maryland - Post
  • 29 Feb - Chester to Annapolis, Maryland - Post
Despite my worst fears about late-February weather on the East Coast, I've had sunshine every day but the first. The wind was quite unpleasant on day two, but otherwise things have been gorgeous. The walking in this opening ~100 miles has been primarily on pavement. Aside from the inland climb from the beach, Delaware was 100% paved. (I should note that I broke from the ADT to detour to Milford, for better accommodation/food options, but I think the state would have been non-stop asphalt regardless.) There have been a couple of stretches on dirt roads in Maryland, but it has also primarily been backroads and minor highways. For the most part, auto traffic has been minimal, and I've enjoyed very quiet walking through farm country.

The pilgrimage connections are strong. I was joined for dinner in Lewes by Terry and her husband, both camino vets. Forum member and photo-journalist Fritz accompanied me through the first two full days in order to document the experience, with plans to return intermittently along the way. (His pics were picked up by an Estonian news source; the caption under the picture is not quite accurate.) Tonight, in Annapolis, I'm being hosted by a Way of St. Francis walker.

Annapolis, I should note, is splendid, with a lovely historic core around the state house. It's understandably overshadowed by DC, but you could do a lot worse than a weekend here.

Speaking of which, I'm two days from DC, where I'll spend a couple of nights with another forum member, and then transition to the C&O canal, where I'll be freed from pavement for a good long stretch.
Following you from sea to shining sea Dave. Be well and know you are lifted up by many. Sorry you missed the scrapple 😉

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Spring 2016: Camino Frances, Finisterre and Muxia
April 2019: Frances, Salvador, Primitivo
As a native Delawarean and no stranger to Southern Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I'm enjoying you blog. I plan to follow. Blessings on your journey!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Dave The American Discovery Trail 10
OLDER threads on this topic
Through Western Maryland on the C&O

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 326 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock