• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Discovery Trail - Through Delaware and Eastern Maryland

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I've been walking the American Discovery Trail for five days now. Well, four full days following the ceremonial opening 5k from Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delaware. It has broken down as follows:
  • 25 Feb - Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delware - Post
  • 26 Feb - Lewes to Milford, Delaware - Post
  • 27 Feb - Milford, DE to Denton, Maryland - Post
  • 28 Feb - Denton to Chester, Maryland - Post
  • 29 Feb - Chester to Annapolis, Maryland - Post
Despite my worst fears about late-February weather on the East Coast, I've had sunshine every day but the first. The wind was quite unpleasant on day two, but otherwise things have been gorgeous. The walking in this opening ~100 miles has been primarily on pavement. Aside from the inland climb from the beach, Delaware was 100% paved. (I should note that I broke from the ADT to detour to Milford, for better accommodation/food options, but I think the state would have been non-stop asphalt regardless.) There have been a couple of stretches on dirt roads in Maryland, but it has also primarily been backroads and minor highways. For the most part, auto traffic has been minimal, and I've enjoyed very quiet walking through farm country.

The pilgrimage connections are strong. I was joined for dinner in Lewes by Terry and her husband, both camino vets. Forum member and photo-journalist Fritz accompanied me through the first two full days in order to document the experience, with plans to return intermittently along the way. (His pics were picked up by an Estonian news source; the caption under the picture is not quite accurate.) Tonight, in Annapolis, I'm being hosted by a Way of St. Francis walker.

Annapolis, I should note, is splendid, with a lovely historic core around the state house. It's understandably overshadowed by DC, but you could do a lot worse than a weekend here.

Speaking of which, I'm two days from DC, where I'll spend a couple of nights with another forum member, and then transition to the C&O canal, where I'll be freed from pavement for a good long stretch.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love Annapolis. I spent 4 years at St. John's College there, and then my mother lived there for 6 years. Lots of bricks-- Have a crabcake and some oysters!

I grew up hiking on the C&O. :) Oh hey, I never got back to you about staying with my friend in West Virginia. Do you still need a place? She lives in Hedgesville, not far from your route.

I've been walking the American Discovery Trail for five days now. Well, four full days following the ceremonial opening 5k from Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delaware. It has broken down as follows:
  • 25 Feb - Cape Henlopen to Lewes, Delware - Post
  • 26 Feb - Lewes to Milford, Delaware - Post
  • 27 Feb - Milford, DE to Denton, Maryland - Post
  • 28 Feb - Denton to Chester, Maryland - Post
  • 29 Feb - Chester to Annapolis, Maryland - Post
Despite my worst fears about late-February weather on the East Coast, I've had sunshine every day but the first. The wind was quite unpleasant on day two, but otherwise things have been gorgeous. The walking in this opening ~100 miles has been primarily on pavement. Aside from the inland climb from the beach, Delaware was 100% paved. (I should note that I broke from the ADT to detour to Milford, for better accommodation/food options, but I think the state would have been non-stop asphalt regardless.) There have been a couple of stretches on dirt roads in Maryland, but it has also primarily been backroads and minor highways. For the most part, auto traffic has been minimal, and I've enjoyed very quiet walking through farm country.

The pilgrimage connections are strong. I was joined for dinner in Lewes by Terry and her husband, both camino vets. Forum member and photo-journalist Fritz accompanied me through the first two full days in order to document the experience, with plans to return intermittently along the way. (His pics were picked up by an Estonian news source; the caption under the picture is not quite accurate.) Tonight, in Annapolis, I'm being hosted by a Way of St. Francis walker.

Annapolis, I should note, is splendid, with a lovely historic core around the state house. It's understandably overshadowed by DC, but you could do a lot worse than a weekend here.

Speaking of which, I'm two days from DC, where I'll spend a couple of nights with another forum member, and then transition to the C&O canal, where I'll be freed from pavement for a good long stretch.
Following you from sea to shining sea Dave. Be well and know you are lifted up by many. Sorry you missed the scrapple 😉

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a native Delawarean and no stranger to Southern Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I'm enjoying you blog. I plan to follow. Blessings on your journey!

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back