• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thru-hikers: How long did you take/are planning to take and

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to hear from those who have hiked from SJPP thru to Santiago/or further and also those in the midst of planning their thru hike. How long did you take to hike? What towns did you decide to take a rest stop in and why? Were their any towns along the way you took an unplanned rest stop and why? How about detours (like to some of the monestaries)?

I was originally on quite a tight schedule as i was planning to meet up with my brother in England post-hike to travel around for a few weeks before heading back to Oz. He can now no longer come over, so i'm keen to enjoy the hike and take as long as i want. There are numerous towns along the way that I would love to spend the extra night in just so i can spend a day walking through them and visiting museums etc. I have also read about a day trip you can make out to a monestary.

So for those unbound by time constraints, tell me where you explored! (for those in planning stages, where do you plan to spend more time to explore!?)...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Thru-hikers: How long did you take/are planning to take and

I am not going all the way, but having no plans are part of my camino

I DO have visions of nice beach and cool water though...

Hola FrancesK

There have a been a few posts on this very subject. Have a look here:

el-camino-frances/topic12699.html?hilit=rest%20days#p84728

and here:

el-camino-frances/topic12728.html?hilit=rest%20day#p86385

I think it is wonderful that you have few time constraints. It is difficult to explain that everyone's pilgrimage can take on a life of its own if you let it. What I mean by that is that in my experience it will become obvious where you want to stop and linger. It might be to spend more time with friends, to rest or to explore the great cities of Spain along the Camino Frances: Pamplona, Burgos, Leon...or you might visit vineyards in La Rioja or indeed take detours in the guides to explore the wonderful places off the route like the Monasterio de Silos you mentioned.

All you have to do is start - the rest will happen imho!

Buen camino

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The problem with recommendations is that, for dawdlers, the experiences come and points of interest are found of their own accord. If you were to follow my recommendations you'd just be following my blunderings and impulses. That might "methodise" or interfere with your blunderings and impulses.

Having said that, I should have gone to more trouble to see the interior of San Martin in Fromista. Dunno why.

You will definitely have a great Camino

But don't dare try to go slower than me

Rob

Thats 20 questions!!
Here are a few answers -
In 2003 , I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago - it took 33 days , averaging about 25km per day- most other people were walking the same distance per day........... you see , you start to meet and make walking buddies and you don't want to loose them, nor they you.
If you can bear to say goodbye to all you meet along the way , then 45 to 60 days should enable you to take in most of the sights on the Camino Frances - having said that , you could return the next year have a completely different experience - the camino moves like a tide - different Albergues , different pilgrims , experiences...........
From Pamplona , one can take a Bus to Jaca on the Camino Aragon and then get a taxi or walk to St Jaun de la Pena ( Word has it that the Holy Grail was kept here) , from there you can walk to Puenta la Reina and be back on the main route of the Camino Frances.
The big cities are all worth a two day stop - then again , it may be nice to spend an extra night in the solitude of San Bol - or even offer to help a Hospitalero that needs a helping hand.
The fact that you have no time constraints is a huge advantage.
Enjoy - don't plan it all - let it happen . :wink:

It took me 41 days. I started in Roncesvalles, went over the Pyrenees to SJPD and returned to Roncesvalles through the valley. I got lost and added a day. I spent three nights in Azofra because of tendonitis. From there, I had no stops, some long days (when I got lost) and a few short days when my body told me to stop and rest.

I found being in large cities disconcerting after being on the Camino and did not dawdle in cities. I enjoyed more time in the open and smaller towns.

My advice is not to plan excessively, enjoy the Camino with an open heart and it will show you where to linger.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi
I had rest days in Burgos and Santo Domingo de Calzada I used the latter as a base to visit the monasteries of Suso and Yuso and the convent at Cana and I'm so glad we took the time out to do that as Suso was one of my favorite places. The other short detour I made was to Eunate (en route to Puente la Reina which very often a stop over for pilgrims on their third night if leaving from SJPP) which is also wonderful and it's a very special place to stay.
If you have the time take it and savour the journey and all it offers. I've found that whenever I walk as pilgrim on a Caminos or jakobsweg that somehow- despite my best efforts to manage and control -each journey subverts the plans for what I thought I wanted and ends up providing what I didn't know I needed.
Enjoy.
Nell

I have to agree with the above posters, just let it happen! I have tried to control my caminos, do certain things in the order I have planned and it just brings you a lot of unnecessary strife. There is unexpected people, ideas, feelings, changes, situations waiting for you out there, like a cup of cool fresh water waiting to refresh those parts of you which have long been dry, but not realised it.

I have made my plans for my camino,its a habit,but this time I am going to try and have a laugh when they all go up in smoke :D

FrancesK said:
- How long did you take to hike? - What towns did you decide to take a rest stop in and why? - Were their any towns along the way you took an unplanned rest stop and why? How about detours (like to some of the monestaries)?
- How long did you take to hike? Each of my Caminos took different times. As others stated, let the Camino lead you. Not to underestimate is the climate: hot sun or rain, wind and mud.
- What towns did you decide to take a rest stop in and why? Each person has different reasons. Stops in larger towns allow for a variety of attractions: art, culinary, history, etc. Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Santiago de Compostela.
- Were their any towns along the way you took an unplanned rest stop and why? No, but some walkers had emergencies which forced them to stop for a time, or even return home unexpectedly.
- How about detours (like to some of the monestaries): read the experiences of other pilgrims and evaluate if a particular detour fits into your schedule and Camino purpose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks everyone for responding. I absolutely agree with the comments and i'm going into my hike with a "come what may" attitude. But i'm still curious about your experiences!! :D

My plan at this point is to do the CF and then, assuming I'm not sick of walking, head to Muxla and then start making my way south, through Portugal and eventually take the ferry over to Morocco for a month or so. Who knows what will *actually* happen. :)

I can tell you that the Most Gruggy town with that Dog of an Albergue may go down as the best night of your Camino - walking Buddies - shared food - special encounters - there are a few suprizes waiting for you. :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi FrancesK...When are you planning on going? I am a solo walker also and leaving in July...planning on July and August. I would love to start out with another Pilgrim!

californiasusan said:
Hi FrancesK...When are you planning on going? I am a solo walker also and leaving in July...planning on July and August. I would love to start out with another Pilgrim!

Hi Susan,

I'm leaving St Jean on the 17th April! My flight out of Perth is in 18 days and counting :D

Would love to have hiked with you, i'm sure there will be plenty starting around the same time as you though!

I think we will leave from SJPP on April 19th - we'll look for you on the way :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back