• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tick (hyalomma) bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

jao037

Time of past OR future Camino
Plata
Hi,
I am Johannes, 63 yrs, walking with my spouse from Sevilla to Santiago. All fine until yesterday.

During a rest pause (most probably) in a beautiful spot between Canaveral and Grimaldo, between some pine trees, I got bitten by a tick (large, about 8–10 mm, and hard) most probably Hyalomma sp. I discovered it a few hours later when showering. Removed it completely (was already firmly attached but no blood inside).

Not familiar with Spanish ticks I searched on internet to find out about risk of Lyme disease… Unfortunately, these ticks may transfer a completely different but far more dangerous pathogen: Crimean Congo virus, which may lead to severe hemorrhagic fever!

About three percent of ticks are infected! Incubation after tick bite 1-4 days. The first day has passed, I am free of symptoms.

Has anybody in the forum experience with a bite of these ticks? Apart from a publication in a newspaper (63 yr old Peregrino, fatal unfortunately) I cannot find related posts.

Burn Camino, Johannes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
(It doesn’t appear to be present in Western Europe)
No direct experience, @jao037, but as you know, it is in Spain:
There was a thread about ticks that ended badly a while ago and I'm (please) NOT wanting to resurrect the topics that cased that argument.

But I just noticed this story in the news and think it's wise that we as pilgrims be aware of it:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ntain-rare-outbreak-of-fatal-tick-borne-fever
It's certainly not something to freak out about, but at the same time it's something to take seriously...

From the article.
"The 62-year-old man, who died on 25 August in Madrid’s Gregorio Marañón hospital, is thought to have contracted the fever after being bitten by a tick while walking in the countryside in the Castilla-Léon region of Spain."

Digging a little, I found that he'd been walking near Avila.
So if you're on a remote Camino (especially on the Sureste around there) and plan on bashing through the bushes, please take the same precautions as you would if you were in an area where there's' Lyme disease. Reliable information about that can be found here.
You can always go to a local health center - talking to a local doc may give you the information you need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is in Spain:
I retract my previous advice! I’d always regarded Lyme’s as a risk and carry a tick-remover and a few doxycycline as a precaution.

Options with CC appear to range from consulting a local doctor to proactively cancelling any magazine subscriptions.

I hope the OP is well, and continues to be.

Well, as you’ve probably found out by now, if you’ve got CC virus; you’re going to die.

Looking on the bright side, as there’s no treatment, there’s not much point worrying about it.

(It doesn’t appear to be present in Western Europe)
Not very helpful :)) , and incorrect.
1. CC virus is present in Spain
2. case fatality is 30% in admitted patients
3. there is no curative treatment, but supportive treatment can be given if/as needed (similar to SARS-cov-19 approach two years ago: no cure but supportive treatment…)

My question is whether other peregrines have experienced bites of these ticks?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@JAO)37 did you save the tick in a bag or pill bottle? If you did or if you can retrieve it, you may want to take it with you if you visit a clinic. I could be identified and perhaps sent for analysis.

My husband was bitten by a bat once and was able to take the bat for analysis. This helped him avoid rabies injections when the analysis came back that the bat was not a rabies carrier.

Hi,
I am Johannes, 63 yrs, walking with my spouse from Sevilla to Santiago. All fine until yesterday.

During a rest pause (most probably) in a beautiful spot between Canaveral and Grimaldo, between some pine trees, I got bitten by a tick (large, about 8–10 mm, and hard) most probably Hyalomma sp. I discovered it a few hours later when showering. Removed it completely (was already firmly attached but no blood inside).

Not familiar with Spanish ticks I searched on internet to find out about risk of Lyme disease… Unfortunately, these ticks may transfer a completely different but far more dangerous pathogen: Crimean Congo virus, which may lead to severe hemorrhagic fever!

About three percent of ticks are infected! Incubation after tick bite 1-4 days. The first day has passed, I am free of symptoms.

Has anybody in the forum experience with a bite of these ticks? Apart from a publication in a newspaper (63 yr old Peregrino, fatal unfortunately) I cannot find related posts.

Burn Camino, Johannes
Glad you manage to remove it without breaking the body - hope things work out OK for you and you have a successful and rather more uneventful remainder of your Camino.

Buen Camino

I did not retrieve the tick, flushed it in the shower… As there is no causative treatment tick analysis seems not opportune atm. I will only visit a doctor when I become I’ll. Up to now (1 1/2 day) I am fine.
We continue the Camino… Tomorrow we will go 30 km to Caparra (Oliva de Plasencia in fact). The day after that will be day 3. Most cases -after tick bite- would have developed by then, I learned from reading studies.
So hoping for the best…
Burn Camino all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back