• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tick (hyalomma) bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

jao037

Time of past OR future Camino
Plata
Hi,
I am Johannes, 63 yrs, walking with my spouse from Sevilla to Santiago. All fine until yesterday.

During a rest pause (most probably) in a beautiful spot between Canaveral and Grimaldo, between some pine trees, I got bitten by a tick (large, about 8–10 mm, and hard) most probably Hyalomma sp. I discovered it a few hours later when showering. Removed it completely (was already firmly attached but no blood inside).

Not familiar with Spanish ticks I searched on internet to find out about risk of Lyme disease… Unfortunately, these ticks may transfer a completely different but far more dangerous pathogen: Crimean Congo virus, which may lead to severe hemorrhagic fever!

About three percent of ticks are infected! Incubation after tick bite 1-4 days. The first day has passed, I am free of symptoms.

Has anybody in the forum experience with a bite of these ticks? Apart from a publication in a newspaper (63 yr old Peregrino, fatal unfortunately) I cannot find related posts.

Burn Camino, Johannes

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(It doesn’t appear to be present in Western Europe)
No direct experience, @jao037, but as you know, it is in Spain:
There was a thread about ticks that ended badly a while ago and I'm (please) NOT wanting to resurrect the topics that cased that argument.

But I just noticed this story in the news and think it's wise that we as pilgrims be aware of it:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ntain-rare-outbreak-of-fatal-tick-borne-fever
It's certainly not something to freak out about, but at the same time it's something to take seriously...

From the article.
"The 62-year-old man, who died on 25 August in Madrid’s Gregorio Marañón hospital, is thought to have contracted the fever after being bitten by a tick while walking in the countryside in the Castilla-Léon region of Spain."

Digging a little, I found that he'd been walking near Avila.
So if you're on a remote Camino (especially on the Sureste around there) and plan on bashing through the bushes, please take the same precautions as you would if you were in an area where there's' Lyme disease. Reliable information about that can be found here.
You can always go to a local health center - talking to a local doc may give you the information you need.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is in Spain:
I retract my previous advice! I’d always regarded Lyme’s as a risk and carry a tick-remover and a few doxycycline as a precaution.

Options with CC appear to range from consulting a local doctor to proactively cancelling any magazine subscriptions.

I hope the OP is well, and continues to be.

Well, as you’ve probably found out by now, if you’ve got CC virus; you’re going to die.

Looking on the bright side, as there’s no treatment, there’s not much point worrying about it.

(It doesn’t appear to be present in Western Europe)
Not very helpful :)) , and incorrect.
1. CC virus is present in Spain
2. case fatality is 30% in admitted patients
3. there is no curative treatment, but supportive treatment can be given if/as needed (similar to SARS-cov-19 approach two years ago: no cure but supportive treatment…)

My question is whether other peregrines have experienced bites of these ticks?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@JAO)37 did you save the tick in a bag or pill bottle? If you did or if you can retrieve it, you may want to take it with you if you visit a clinic. I could be identified and perhaps sent for analysis.

My husband was bitten by a bat once and was able to take the bat for analysis. This helped him avoid rabies injections when the analysis came back that the bat was not a rabies carrier.

Hi,
I am Johannes, 63 yrs, walking with my spouse from Sevilla to Santiago. All fine until yesterday.

During a rest pause (most probably) in a beautiful spot between Canaveral and Grimaldo, between some pine trees, I got bitten by a tick (large, about 8–10 mm, and hard) most probably Hyalomma sp. I discovered it a few hours later when showering. Removed it completely (was already firmly attached but no blood inside).

Not familiar with Spanish ticks I searched on internet to find out about risk of Lyme disease… Unfortunately, these ticks may transfer a completely different but far more dangerous pathogen: Crimean Congo virus, which may lead to severe hemorrhagic fever!

About three percent of ticks are infected! Incubation after tick bite 1-4 days. The first day has passed, I am free of symptoms.

Has anybody in the forum experience with a bite of these ticks? Apart from a publication in a newspaper (63 yr old Peregrino, fatal unfortunately) I cannot find related posts.

Burn Camino, Johannes
Glad you manage to remove it without breaking the body - hope things work out OK for you and you have a successful and rather more uneventful remainder of your Camino.

Buen Camino

I did not retrieve the tick, flushed it in the shower… As there is no causative treatment tick analysis seems not opportune atm. I will only visit a doctor when I become I’ll. Up to now (1 1/2 day) I am fine.
We continue the Camino… Tomorrow we will go 30 km to Caparra (Oliva de Plasencia in fact). The day after that will be day 3. Most cases -after tick bite- would have developed by then, I learned from reading studies.
So hoping for the best…
Burn Camino all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back