• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ticket prices should fall- Hold off buying if you can

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I spoke with my DIL's mother yesterday. She is a travel agent.
According to her, the airlines post their fares for NEXT season in September.

Due to the current financial troubles and the price of oil dropping, fares should drop dramatically. So if at all possible, you may want to consider holding off on purchasing tickets. If the airlines drop the federal taxes, fares could cut almost half! (Back down to where they SHOULD be!)Right now I can find fares from California to Santiago for $700 but when you add the taxes, they're $1300!

Of course, it's like playing the lottery. One never REALLY knows. But I'm waiting.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...market-has-upside-smartmoney?mod=bb-budgeting

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought my ticket for mid-October about a month ago, PDX to MAD for $750 total. Best fare I've ever gotten to Europe!

The FAA taxes are being added on again, not sure why everyone was making such a big deal about it, only adds 10% to most ticket prices....fuel surcharges are way more than that!

renegadepilgrim said:
I bought my ticket for mid-October about a month ago, PDX to MAD for $750 total.
...and I assume that this is a return ticket.
Which airline will you use? Which route(s) and travel and connecting times are involved with this ticket?What do you think of the (probable) price-quality relationship?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, you can often find lower prices for Fall after the season. Mid October is a great inexpensive time to go. Nice price!

You are right! I should have said "taxes and FEES" - for instance, here is a ticket from LAX to AMS:
$683 + $517 taxes & fees = $1,200 USD per person
The "taxes and fees" are nearly the price of the ticket.

Here's a breakdown of the Government taxes and fees from Orbitz' website:

Flight Cost Summary: On the Flight Cost Summary page, and all subsequent pages leading to a booking, all taxes, charges (including fuel surcharges), service fees, and government and airport authority fees are either included in the fare or itemized separately to provide a total trip cost.

Government and other authority taxes and fees:

September 11 Security Fee: A September 11 Security Fee of $2.50 USD applies per flight segment (maximum charge per trip--$5.00 USD one-way, $10.00 USD round-trip). A flight segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing.

Passenger Facility Charges: Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs) of up to $18.00 USD may apply, depending upon the itinerary chosen.

Federal Excise Tax: A 7.5% domestic tax is applied to the airline base fare. The tax may be pro-rated for flights to/from the 48 contiguous U.S. states and Alaska and Hawaii, and some international destinations. A Travel Facilities Tax of $8.20 USD per direction also applies to flights to/from Alaska and Hawaii and the 48 contiguous U.S. states or between Alaska and Hawaii.

Federal Domestic Flight Segment Fee: A federal domestic flight segment fee of $3.70 USD applies per flight segment. A flight segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing.

U.S. or International Departure and Arrival Charges: U.S. or international departure and arrival charges of up to $250.00 USD may apply, depending upon the itinerary chosen.

When I flew to Spain each of the last two years, the total taxes/fees on the ticket were about 100% of the fare. Each year I paid $1,200 for my ticket and it was divided right down the middle at about $600 for the fare and $600 for taxes/fees. Ridiculous!!! :(

If you go to the American Airlines site you will get a ticket price plus taxes. No fees. They put the price of the "fees" already in the ticket price. It is those sites that offer multiple airlines who post these very low prices and then add the taxes and "fees" at the end. This is their way of enticing you to their sites.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
fraluchi said:
renegadepilgrim said:
I bought my ticket for mid-October about a month ago, PDX to MAD for $750 total.
...and I assume that this is a return ticket.
Which airline will you use? Which route(s) and travel and connecting times are involved with this ticket?What do you think of the (probable) price-quality relationship?
Yes, that is a RT ticket. American Airlines with one stop on DFW both directions. For the record, I would have preferred a non-American airline but for that price, I couldn't pass it up. I flew American out/in the US last year on my RTW trip and I have never experienced such rude flight crews in my life. Unfortunately, airlines like Lufthansa cost more to fly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

I am an "Elite, VIP, Super, Top Drawer" member of a very exclusive travel group. I called them about a fare that will save me money and get me to SDC when I need to be there. They came back with a $3,500 fare in camel class. My apologies to the camel.

I got on to Kayak and they did the comparison thing and the R/T with an open jaw to Malaga was $1,500. Lufthansa out/in at Chicago.

Got to shop around.

I purchased RT via Porto and return from Santiago to DC--for $715 back in January for travel beginning September 9, 2011. It does pay to watch airfares on a regular basis. I checked each Tuesday until the price got to where I was willing to pay. Last time I went, I waited too long thinking I could get a better fare if I waited longer and I ended up paying over $1,200. I wasn't going to do that again!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ten years ago which is when I did the Camino for the first time I got an airfare from that site to fly form Washington D.C. to Madrid for $450. I live in Chicago so I had to find a flight to D.C. So add another $200 for a total of $650. It was wonderful.

Now the fairs are $1200 from Chicago and it really burns me.

So are you saying to wait to buy a ticket in mid October of this year (2011)? I want to do the Camino this fall (2011) but am concerned that it might be too cold to do it. I'd be willing to go if I could get a great airfare for this year and walk the Camino again.

United has a $931 September fare right now for Chicago-Dulles-Madrid.

AdrienDeLaChicago said:
Ten years ago which is when I did the Camino for the first time I got an airfare from that site to fly form Washington D.C. to Madrid for $450. I live in Chicago so I had to find a flight to D.C. So add another $200 for a total of $650. It was wonderful.

Now the fairs are $1200 from Chicago and it really burns me.

So are you saying to wait to buy a ticket in mid October of this year (2011)? I want to do the Camino this fall (2011) but am concerned that it might be too cold to do it. I'd be willing to go if I could get a great airfare for this year and walk the Camino again.

If you look at the details, you'll find that taxes on overseas airfares are dramatically higher now, close to 100% of the airfare itself. IMHO, that the biggest difference! :cry:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ten years ago, the price of jet fuel was 87 cents per gallon. Today it is about $3.00 per gallon. An Airbus A330 burns about 5.4 gallons per mile carrying up to 253 passengers. Fuel is close to 30% of the operating cost of a plane. It is not likely that ticket prices will trend downward in the long run. However, as demand drops toward the end of the year, prices probably will too (except for holiday times).

In general (not always but in general) prices are MUCH lower the further east you go in the United States.

I can often find flights from the East Coast for under $700.
However, flights from the West Coast (where I am) are anywhere from $1150 and upwards right now.
I have price alerts registered with all the airlines, so I'm ready when the prices drop.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back