Ticks and Lyme's Disease | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Ticks and Lyme's Disease

Discussion in 'Medical issues on the pilgrimage' started by alansykes, May 22, 2016.

1. alansykes

alansykes Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Except the Francés
    A forum member recently got bitten by ticks and inquired about the danger of getting Lyme's Disease, a particularly debilitating largely incurable chronic illness not unlike glandular fever.

The disease is transmitted by ticks which attack deer, sheep, dogs, humans etc, often jumping onto bare legs from grass and bracken. It is endemic in Northern Spain and much of France (and the Scottish border where I live).

If you find a tick biting you, try to twist it off anti-clockwise, rather than just pulling it out (which risks leaving the mandibles, which carry the infection, in you). They like to gorge themselves full of your blood (carrying a sac which can be up to a cm long when full), so if they are attached to you, they're quite easy to spot (and kill).

If you catch them quickly enough, they are unlikely to infect you, but the NHS helpline advised me to take an antihistemine just in case (ask the farmacia for an antihistamínico). If the resulting bite mark looks much like a mosquito bite, there's nothing to worry about. If it looks like the "bullseye" of a target, then get yourself to a doctor as fast as possible.

I don't want to sound scare-mongering, but the shepherd on the next farm to mine got the disease a couple of years ago and he has had to take disability retirement and lost all his energy and general get up and go.

NeeT, marylynn, NualaOC and 2 others like this.
  2. SEB

SEB Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April (2015) SJPdP to SdC; Porto to SdC April (2016)
    Thank you for this Alan.
    And today was the day! Living in the sheep country of South West Scotland I am used to removing these nasties from my cat but, after gardening this morning, I discovered that the new scab on my arm was in fact a tiny tick. My daughter removed it with one those magic plastic twisters bought from any vet for a couple of pounds. It is worth all pilgrims buying a packet (they come as a pair, small for the hard-to-see little blighters and large for the clearly visible and repulsive larger variety. Canadian pilgrims will know all about the dangers of tick bites but I also know of someone locally here who lost her good health through a tick bite. Please include a packet of tick removers in your first aid kit, they weigh less than a pair of tweezers and are more effective at removing the whole of the parasite without, as Alan rightly points out, leaving behind the bits that can lead to infection.

3. NualaOC

NualaOC Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés, Inglés, Finisterre/Muxia, Baztanés x2, Primitivo, Norte and hopefully many more.
    Thanks for this Alan. This is a much discussed topic among walkers in Ireland at the moment, following a recent warning from the Health Service Executive. The information on their website is based on the NHS guidance. https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/L/Lyme-disease/

SEB likes this.
  4. James R B

James R B Guest

There ain't no ticks on me!
    There may be ticks on some of you chicks but

nycwalking, vkbudd, bunnymac and 3 others like this.
  5. SEB

SEB Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you for the link NualaOC but I was surprised to read that the information contained in the NHS guidance advises pulling the tick out with tweezers with no mention of what Alan described above, that is the need to slowly twist the tick rather than a straight pull. The NHS method runs the risk of leaving the head behind in the skin. The plastic removers have a slot that slides under the body of the tick enabling you to grip as you twist.

NualaOC likes this.
  6. NualaOC

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés, Inglés, Finisterre/Muxia, Baztanés x2, Primitivo, Norte and hopefully many more.
  7. jaws101

jaws101 Member

My husband was retired from his job as a firefighter due to an unexplained illness which turned out to be Lyme Disease. After treatment he made a full recovery.

But not all ticks are infected. Remove them and keep a watch on the area. If a large, spreading rash appears then go to the doctor and insist on a test for Lyme Disease and get the antibiotics necessary.

8. jsalt

jsalt Jill Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Portugués, Francés, Norte, Du Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac
    In pharmacies in Europe you can buy a small plastic tick remover, which works like tweezers, but it doesn’t snip the body off, as tweezers do, leaving the head inside. You grip the tick and carefully wriggle it out intact. I picked up some ticks on the Rota Vicentina. My fault, I was wearing long pants, rain pants and gaiters, but I went for a wizzie off track . . . . :oops: The tick remover is now an item in my 1st aid kit.

VNwalking likes this.
  9. mla1

mla1 Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF (2000); Ch St. Giles (2013); Le Puy to SJPP (May/June 2015); vdlp 2016
    Yes - unfortunately that is true. More and more you now see people out walking with their trousers tucked into their socks. We check ourselves and our pets carefully for ticks when we return home from walking. We now give our dogs anti-tick medicine for the entire year (instead of the half year that we used to) because the weather has been so unpredictable, the tick population is increasing, and last year the ticks persisted well into the winter. We pulled about a half a dozen ticks off one of our dogs on Christmas Day.

The main risk is when walking through, and rubbing against, long grass. If you find the tick within 24 hours, we are told, the risk of lyme disease (should the tick be carrying it) is greatly reduced. There has recently been talk of a free test that pharmacists can use to check to see if a tick does carry the infection. I'm not sure if it is available already or if it is something that is in the works.

In my area, southeastern Ontario, which is considered to be one of the worst in the country for lyme disease, the people who work outdoors clearing the brush under power lines are now allowed to stop working 15 minutes before the end of their shifts so that they will have time to check themselves for ticks.

From our perspective here - drawing attention to ticks and lyme disease is not scare-mongering at all - it is really important. Thanks, Alan for posting.

Mary Louise

marylynn likes this.
  10. VNwalking

VNwalking Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    St Olav/Francés (2016)
    Baztanés/Francés (2017)
    Ingles (July 2018)
    Not fear-mongering, Alan, but definitely words to the wise.
    I've had Lyme disease twice--once a gift from an unknown tick in California (i actually got sick and had a bull's eye rash), and the second time in Massachusetts (just the rash and no illness that I could detect).
    Catch and treat this disease early and it's no trouble at all. But you need to know you've been infected and that takes a bit of daily vigilance. The ticks that carry Lyme (in the US anyway) are tiny...not the big gross dog ticks. More sesame seed size. And the card works very well to take them off.
    I've gotten smarter now where I know there's Lyme and check for ticks every day. Sorry to know it's in Spain too. Obviously we're not the only ones who travel by plane!

11. SEB

SEB Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Here is the packet and contents of the tick remover available from UK vets. It is manufactured in France and the instructions come in several languages so assume it is widely available outside UK> tick remover.jpg

Dinkumdigger and camster like this.
  12. NualaOC

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks @SEB

13. Albertagirl

Albertagirl Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste Marie to Camino Aragones to Camino Frances, (2016)
    After reading this thread, I think I shall spray the bottoms of my pantlegs when I am spraying my backpack and sleeping bag. Hopefully, ticks will not like permethrin.

14. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Guest

Having dealt with ticks for years growing up in the south and running around in the woods with my brother every summer, my best advice is prevention. Ticks live in high grass, brush, bushes, limbs etc waiting for a host. That's how you get them. You won't see them on an open country road paved with gravel. You won't see them crawling around in an albergue. Stay out of their habitat.

marylynn likes this.
  15. Felipe

Felipe Veteran Member

Given the recent reported number of pilgrims in Camino Frances, I guess that ecologically we are like a kind of centipede steamroller, swatting everything in the way.
    The only bugs I have seen (in March, before Zubiri) were the pine processionary. These caterpillars were "processing" almost everywhere through the woods in nose-to-tail columns. They have urticant hairs, but if we avoid walking with sandals, I suppose we are safe.
    In other less traficked Caminos, and where the path is also a drovers' road (as in the Pyrinees Piedmont), I suppose the risk may be higher, but I did nor read or hear about ticks last year, when I walked it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  16. grayland

grayland Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes
    Interesting and good information.

However....I do not recall anyone posting that there is a tick issue in Spain.
    We have posts about almost everything, (good and bad) that happens along the way.
    Bedbugs, flies, mosquitos, gnats, ants....but I don't remember ticks.

Maybe I have just missed it. Is it a problem? Are there reports of ticks?

peregrino_tom likes this.
  17. Magwood

Magwood Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (15 April 2013)
    Camino Portuguese (1 May 2014)
    Camino Mozárabe from Málaga (8 April 2015)
    Camino del Norte & Camino Ingles (April 2016)
    I was that forum member mentioned in the op. I was making my way around the coast between Ribadeo and Ferrol. I was walking in wild places, totally off track, in waist high grass and fern, in shorts. I picked up two tiny visitors one day and removed them (with my finger nail) within a few hours. I have seen no follow up rash so am hoping all is well.

If anyone is interested in my week long 'off camino' adventure between Ribadeo on the Norte and Ferrol on the Ingles, check out this thread

18. Anniesantiago

Anniesantiago Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances 2006,9,11,12,13,14, 16, Aragones 2011,12,
    VDLP 2011, 13, Lourdes 2012, Portuguese 2008, Madrid 2014, (2016)
    I've never seen a tick here.

grayland likes this.
  19. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Guest

I never saw any and never heard anyone mentioning them on the CF.
    I say it is not an issue to be concerned about for the average walker of the CF, but like anything else on this forum it's a topic that's bound to be inflated needlessly.
    Prospective walkers of the Camino Frances reading this....don't worry about ticks.

Stacychuck and grayland like this.
  20. jacobusg

jacobusg New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances
    2015 September
    Camino Ingles
    2016, June 6-12
    If you search for ticks on here you will see the discussion about ticks on the CF. I acquired Lymes last September, and as far as I am concerned I am still suffering the effects, about to get another blood test after I get back from the Ingles.

A fellow p mentioned he'd brought a ticktool because of his experiences in Denmark - I didn't know what he was talking about, I do now.

21. Vicky97

Vicky97 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015), Camino del Norte (partly, 2016), planning on maybe walking Camino Portuguese
    Also if you have had a tick it's wisely to draw a circle all around the place and if the redness and swelling is growing there is a big chance you have the Lyme's Disease

22. Stacychuck

Stacychuck New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Ticks, not only fitness is an issue. Just the excuse I need not to walk the Camino.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  23. Kanga

Kanga Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid.
    I don't know if our Sydney variety of ticks is similar to the ones in Spain, but they are very common where I live. We have found the easiest method of removing them is to spray with Aerostart (used to get motors started) as it instantly kills and freezes them and they fall out. Lyclear, which is a cream used to treat scabbies, is also useful for tiny ticks. As a preventive in the bush we use Deet.

Stacychuck likes this.
  24. Stacychuck

Stacychuck New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    You Aussies are tough. What does that Aerostart do to your body? I remember that getting sprayed with Agent Orange which wasn't a good a idea. Good luck with that extermination project. We have plenty of ticks and deer here in MD.

25. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999

Camino(s) past & future:
    First: Camino Francés 1999
    Last: CF winter 2016/17

Now: http://egeria.house/
    That NHS advice doesn't make any sense at all! An antihistamine is a medicament to alleviate allergies, it is not a prevention against an infection with Lyme or similar. Buen Camino, SY

SEB likes this.
  26. nellpilgrim

nellpilgrim Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
    And for those of us pilgrims walking outside of Spain in Austria, Germany and places further east one should be inoculated against Tick Bourne Encephalitis TBE before walking. As TBC serum is a slightly unusual request in Ireland (or the UK?) it may take a few days for the pharmacist to get it in and you need a couple of shots not just one so give yourself time. It's well worth it though the son of a friend of mine worked as a forester in Franconia as a young man and got TBE and was very poorly indeed. He's fine now thank God but is evangelical about preventative measures and inoculation.

SYates likes this.
  27. psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot psychoticparrot

Camino(s) past & future:
    April, May (2017)
    After you remove a tick, remember to kill it.

SEB likes this.
  28. psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot psychoticparrot

Camino(s) past & future:
    April, May (2017)
    Did you know ticks can be romantic? o_O

Lyrics from country song "Ticks" by Brad Paisley:

'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
    I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
    I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
    And I'd like to check you for ticks."

SEB likes this.
  29. MinaKamina

MinaKamina Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Jacobspad 2017
    Agree! this is absurd advice. If only Lyme disease were so easy ...
    To prevent tick bites: stay out of the bushes and high grass. Wear protective clothing. Spray with DEET. If you find you have been bitten by a tick and do not know how long it has been there: go see a doctor. A red rash does not always appear in case of Lyme, and the 24 hour limit for removing a tick is not supported by science.

Ticks maps of Europe published by the European Centre for Disease Control:
    http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/healthtopics/vectors/vector-maps/Pages/VBORNET-maps-tick-species.aspx

Dermacentor reticulatus and Ixodes Ricinus may transmit Lyme disease, babesia and anaplasmosis. Not all ticka are infected, this may vary per (small) area.

A word of caution to all solo pilgrims: in tick infested areas please use the bathroom and not the bushes, because who will inspect your private parts for possible tick bites?

SYates likes this.
  30. jacobusg

jacobusg New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances
    2015 September
    Camino Ingles
    2016, June 6-12
  31. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016. Seville-Astorga: Mar 2017.
    Maybe you could use a selfie stick to take photos for examination! :p:p

MinaKamina likes this.
  32. domigee

domigee Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning the 'Via Lemovicensis' ...
    Has to be ordered in the UK and costs something £200 a shot (from memory...) I decided against it and the nurse agreed, telling me the best prevention was NOT to get bitten haha. I was ever so careful (long clothing) and avoiding long grass at all cost. I was only told it was a problem once in Eastern countries like Bulgaria... Didn't know you could get it closer to home:eek:

33. domigee

domigee Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning the 'Via Lemovicensis' ...
    :rolleyes: :D:D:D

34. Magwood

Magwood Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I have just made a doctor's appointment here in Spain to be on the safe side. Will give feedback on what I am advised.

I would reiterate that I was walking very much off Camino at the northern most tip of Spain, rather foolishly in shorts through long grass.

I did also pick up a tick when walking the Camino Portuguese, but again when walking through long grass to reach a great looking picnic spot. That time I was wearing long pants and removed myself from the area double quick.

The phrase 'some people never learn' comes to mind!

35. Albertagirl

Albertagirl Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste Marie to Camino Aragones to Camino Frances, (2016)
    @C clearly:
    I once picked up a number of ticks while vacationing on Long Island, in an area since known for Lyme Disease. I discovered while bathing that evening that ticks will abandon bodily areas which are underwater. Apparently, they need to breathe. If you should happen to have access to a bath after encountering ticks, fill it with water and have a soak. You may see them abandoning private areas which you would much rather not have tick infested.

SYates and C clearly like this.
  36. Magwood

Magwood Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    On the subject of ticks, but thankfully not attached to me, I noticed that my cat was hosting an unwanted visitor. I don't have a purpose-built tick remover so used tweezers. My normally very assertive moggie kept absolutely still whilst I performed the operation with a twist and a pull. I immediately jettisoned my spoils in a glass of water and was amazed to see two of them doing the breast stroke. Two removed where I thought there was only one and with all legs in place - result!
    image.jpeg

MinaKamina, C clearly and SYates like this.
  37. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999

Camino(s) past & future:
    First: Camino Francés 1999
    Last: CF winter 2016/17

Now: http://egeria.house/
    Completely off topic, but I have to say/ask:

Excellent photo! What camera/lens did you use?

Buen Camino without ticks, SY

nellpilgrim and domigee like this.
  38. Magwood

Magwood Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Panasonic lumix tz60. Not the most recent model, but the cheapest for the spec. Used in macro zoom mode.

SYates likes this.
  39. MaryGr

MaryGr New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I'm a newbie. Will be hiking Le Puy Camino starting in April 2018.
    Yes us Canadians know about ticks. So, I'll pass along a great tick remover that you can hang on your keychain. It's made in the US but available in the UK. See http://www.tickkey.com/index.html

Attached Files: