• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ticks and mosquitoes

aloysius

Time of past OR future Camino
the french way (2017)
Do I have to worry about ticks and/or mosquitoes in October to November?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Camino Frances? No ;-) Mosquitos love a humid climate and most of the CF is arid, ticks love long grass, shrubs, bushes etc - as long as you stay out of them - no worries. Buen Camino, SY

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home here - we are a friendly bunch - most of the time ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't seen ticks at all and just a few mosquitoes along the way; however, I have gotten spider bites on two separate occasions while sleeping. I'm thankful these were non-poisonous but I did break out in hives both times. I had great experiences at hospital in Burgos first time and now Ponferrada two days ago. Doctor here says I should avoid albergues since I get this allergic reaction. He says the old buildings are hard to keep insect free. Anyone experienced anything like this??

In early October, in a section after Astorga, I was really annoyed by swarms of little flies (well, insects, I don't know the specific genre) flying around my head. They were attracted by sweat, I guess. They did not apparently bite, but were turning me nuts; disappeared when I reached higher ground.

I haven't seen ticks at all and just a few mosquitoes along the way; however, I have gotten spider bites on two separate occasions while sleeping. I'm thankful these were non-poisonous but I did break out in hives both times. I had great experiences at hospital in Burgos first time and now Ponferrada two days ago. Doctor here says I should avoid albergues since I get this allergic reaction. He says the old buildings are hard to keep insect free. Anyone experienced anything like this??

Not really, European spiders very rarely have the mandible to break through an adult skin (the elderly and small children might be more at risk due to thinner skin). Are you sure it wasn't bed bugs? Also spiders rarely bite at night (not being nocturnal), the only time a spider will bite you at night is when trapped in close quarters (sleeping bag) with you by accident. You are simply not their favorite prey - bed bugs on the other hand - they go after humans. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unfortunately I think you had a run in with bed bugs. I had two occurrences. Both in clean private rooms. Don't assume it just happens in Albergues. With so many people travelling through and using different resting type spots. It happens.

I've never seen ticks or mosquitos on the Frances.
I've seen HOARDES of mosquitos on the Portuguese.
But no ticks ever.

another thing to consider is good old-fashioned strep and staph...NOT saying this was the case mentioned above, since MDs were involved in the diagnosis, but...most of the time someone came into my clinic with a 'spider bite' it was actually an infection of the skin. We are tromping though tall grass and brush, washing our clothes with ? success and thoroughness, etc. and in close quarters, and almost hot bunks with others...
edit: ticks on the norte (i got lost an awful lot), mosquitos on the portugues

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@travelgirl409 I hate to say it, but I agree - it sounds to me you were bitten by bedbugs. if so I hope you decontaminated your gear before moving on. Check out the bedbug threads here

This sounds like it could be bedbugs to me.
Were the bites in a straight line?

Episode #24 of the Camino Podcast had an interesting interview with a bedbug expert, starting about halfway through the podcast. The fellow was very matter of fact and reassuring, and had some good suggestions (but nothing we haven't seen here on the forum). It was interesting that he said the straight line pattern doesn't indicate so much as the multiple bites. Apparently the straight line just happens because your skin/flesh is pressed against the mattress and the bugs line up on the mattress to feed!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This sounds like it could be bedbugs to me.
No bites in straight line. First time I had 3 bites--one on back, one on left calf, one on right thigh. All were crescent shaped. Then I broke out in hives within 6 hours. I didn't know I'd been bitten until hives showed up and I started looking around my body. I'd just awakened, got dressed and started walking. Second time was just one bite on back of leg, hives developed while I walked next day. Doctors said no bedbug bites. One man is taking antibiotics for brown recluse. I'm just lucky it was non poisonous!

No bites in straight line. First time I had 3 bites--one on back, one on left calf, one on right thigh. All were crescent shaped. Then I broke out in hives within 6 hours. I didn't know I'd been bitten until hives showed up and I started looking around my body. I'd just awakened, got dressed and started walking. Second time was just one bite on back of leg, hives developed while I walked next day. Doctors said no bedbug bites. One man is taking antibiotics for brown recluse. I'm just lucky it was non poisonous!

You can't really say from the bite marks/hives if it was bed bugs or not as everybody reacts to them differently. Also the Mediterranean Recluse Spider does exist in Spain, but typically more in the coastal and southern parts. They drive in the heat, so getting bitten by one in October on the Camino Frances would be an extremely rare event. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure that I'd heard about putting these bed bug traps on bed legs - would seem a good idea for albergues
http://www.insect-interceptor.com/

If seen quite a few bed bug monitors in albergues, not this variety, but those white box-traps on walls/in corners that work with CO2 and/or bed bug pheromones to attract them. Buen Camino, SY

On the Camino Frances? No ;-) Mosquitos love a humid climate and most of the CF is arid, ticks love long grass, shrubs, bushes etc - as long as you stay out of them - no worries. Buen Camino, SY
Actually I'd say an emphatic yes as I've been bitten many times on Camino Frances- take precautions eg sarong or towel sprayed with anti mosquito stuff hang it from under top bunk to create mosquito wall for bottom bunk or tie ends to headboard with bootlaces or elastic bands ....wear mosquito cream around ankles and wrists in evenings or you'll be bitten to bits in some places especially if Albergue is near a river stream or pond. I'm currently taking HUGE anti biotics for an infected mosquito bite...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@travelgirl409 I suspect the doctor was trying to avoid embarrassing you. Or trying to protect the reputation of the albergues. That he suggested you not sleep in one again tells its own story.

@travelgirl409 I suspect the doctor was trying to avoid embarrassing you. Or trying to protect the reputation of the albergues. That he suggested you not sleep in one again tells its own story.
I've had no more bites I saw the mosquito it was dead and DRs have an ethical code ... no embarrassment here or there

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
just to give you something besides bedbugs to worry abouto_O
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...hundreds-of-thousands-of-people-in-Spain.html
actually, what is semi-useful is the map showing where one type of mosquito ismost likely, but also the body of the report where they talk about mosquitoes spreading out into other areas that are not so humid, but do have spots of standing water.
advice re preventing bites, and which months are of concern
http://spanishnewstoday.com/the-asian-tiger-mosquito-in-spain_21879-a.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4688962/
below is a map showing how hospitable the climate is for certain types of mosquitoes
(check with your own physician is always my advice)
I don't believe in insect repellants (personally) for bed bugs. I am a big believer in them for ticks and mosquitoes, as well as covering your skin (and used both when tromping through the brush on the Norte)

Attachments

• eea.auropa.eu.png
    eea.auropa.eu.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I certainly do not. In 3 October-November trips on the Camino Frances, I have never noticed either mosquitos or ticks. They should be the very least of your worries!
They are here now - I'm in the Bar at the Parador and we can see them flying around and buzzing around our feet ..... it's a here and now experience but I do get very easily bitten and I react quite badly too.
Re de-bed bugging travel gear I have a routine which is applied to all trips away- New York hotels had quite a problem recently for a while. All places with a high traffic of bodies passing through are potential bed bug hot spots. The Camino is no different.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Four CF's completed between the months of June through September.
Zero mosquitoes encountered.
Zero ticks encountered.
and this is for the all those on here that just love to discuss them......zero bedbugs encountered! :D
To all those out there about to do their first CF, be more concerned about footwear choice and pack weight than the slight possibility of making contact with the insect world whilst on the Camino.
cheers ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are here now -
I believe you. The mosquito population is quite dependent on local conditions, and can vary quite a bit from year to year.

In reply to the OP, I would still say that mosquitos are not something to "worry" about. They are not typically a big problem, repellent is available in any pharmacy, they don't travel in your backpack, and mosquito-borne diseases are not common in the north of Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure that I'd heard about putting these bed bug traps on bed legs - would seem a good idea for albergues
http://www.insect-interceptor.com/

I read about those too, a few years back. Seems like it could be a simple solution to at least keep them from walking from bed to bed. Of course, many times the pilgrims transport them in/on their sleeping bags.

I read about those too, a few years back. Seems like it could be a simple solution to at least keep them from walking from bed to bed. Of course, many times the pilgrims transport them in/on their sleeping bags.
Also the hospitaleros can monitor for bedbugs since they are stuck in the trap. A check each morning would indicate if additional inspection and treatment are needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never saw a mosquito that I recall. Saw exactley one bed bug and flipped it out the window.
I traveled two caminos the first ending in Santiago. The second time I walked on to Muxia and Finisterre. Never got bitten, harassed or harangued by anyone or anything. Don't worry, relax, enjoy the walk. By the end you won't care.
Buen Camino.

I am on the meseta right now (nearing Sahagun) and everyone is being driven crazy with flies! I suspect that the large number of pesky flies is due to the fact that there is only stubble on the fields and the soil is more exposed, and maybe fertilizer and manure has been applied. They are everywhere and bite my hands and neck--any exposed skin. I love the meseta, but this time the flies have made it unpleasant (to say the least!). Beautiful sunrises and sunsets make up for the annoyance of the flies.

I am on the meseta right now (nearing Sahagun) and everyone is being driven crazy with flies! I suspect that the large number of pesky flies is due to the fact that there is only stubble on the fields and the soil is more exposed, and maybe fertilizer and manure has been applied. They are everywhere and bite my hands and neck--any exposed skin. I love the meseta, but this time the flies have made it unpleasant (to say the least!). Beautiful sunrises and sunsets make up for the annoyance of the flies.
Yeah, I can relate with that. On my recent CF this past August-September I encountered a couple of stretches where I was harassed by small flies, or gnats. Lots of them. They weren't biting me, but were flying in my face, on my ears, etc. Quite annoying and makes for a very unpleasant walking experience. Only happened a couple of times, but was enough that I had wished I had brought a bug net that fits over my head, utilizing my hat for space between the net and my face. We used to wear similar on early season fishing and waterfowl hunts in the marshes. They work pretty good. The one in the photo rolls up small and only weighs an ounce. If you use it just once on the Camino for a few hours, it's well worth bringing.
I'm not a big fan of chemical repellents on the skin. Besides, you end up sweating the stuff off in hot weather, which is when the flies and gnats are out.
726257_L1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I put several oak roble leaves behind my ears. Keep flies away from face. Works for me

Four CF's completed between the months of June through September.
Zero mosquitoes encountered.
Zero ticks encountered.
and this is for the all those on here that just love to discuss them......zero bedbugs encountered! :D
To all those out there about to do their first CF, be more concerned about footwear choice and pack weight than the slight possibility of making contact with the insect world whilst on the Camino.
cheers ;)
You're a very lucky man, Mark.
I hope there were more beers around you than mosquitos :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You're a very lucky man, Mark.
I hope there were more beers around you than mosquitos :D
you got that right....;)
but yes, I think of the 120+ days I have spent on the CF I have been very lucky.
besides the zero bug encounters, I only had four or five rainy days total
I never had to move on to the next village due to no room at albergues. Always found a bed.

you got that right....;)
but yes, I think of the 120+ days I have spent on the CF I have been very lucky.
besides the zero bug encounters, I only had four or five rainy days total
I never had to move on to the next village due to no room at albergues. Always found a bed.
In fact I should say "I know" instead of "I Hope" :D
(that's regading beer, not bedbugs, mosquiotos and such...)

How interesting that you should associate bites with hives, but I don't think that it is post hoc propter hoc. I've been a hives sufferer for many years, but the attacks are seemingly quite random and very intermittent, maybe once or twice a year. I've also travelled the globe and been bitten by a large range of creepy crawlies in temperate and tropical climes. I have never worked out what causes the attacks of hives, but I've never been able to associate an attack of hives with a bite. Rather I think my attacks have a vegetable or pollen cause - of course, hives may have more than one cause, maybe some medic out there knows? What I do know is how debilitating and even dangerous (never mind the itching!) that hives can be, so you have my sympathy. Now to the practical: I carry two ready-use Piriton tablets, in my wallet, in my money belt and at the very top of my pack (ok - that's six, but I'm cautious bloke) and as soon as I begin to suffer I take two pills with plenty of water and sit to rest for 15-20 minutes - and that seems to do the trick.
Fortunately, most years, the pills are reduced to powder before I have to resort to them.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back