• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ticks on Camino Frances

akabiko

Hi everyone, I am going to make Camino Frances in May 2015. Didn't find any info on ticks on this route.
Where I live May is a peak season for ticks, always finding 3-5 of them after walk.
Does anyone have any information about ticks in May on CF?
Thank you!
BR,
Anna

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked in August/September, so no problem with ticks. I do not think you will have any problems at all, as most of the paths are well worn and some paved. Unless you go off the path to lay in the woods or grass, you should be OK.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We just went to the doctor this morning upon returning home because my son has a large lump near his rib that appeared whilst in Spain. Doc asked about ticks and son confessed that one day he found a black thing on his skin and it was stuck there and he had to get his nails under it to pull it off. I had no idea!!!! Doc diagnosed lymph node swelling in reaction to tick bite. That would have been mid/late June.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, there are ticks on the Camino Frances -- big ugly grey ones, and little black ones. There seems to be a real abundance of the little black ones this year. They hang out in tall grass and jump on you (or your pets) when you brush past. They like to be high up, and they´ll climb up you till they reach your shirt collar or hairline. More often than not you´ll feel them moving across your skin, and you can brush them off like you would any other critter. I have not heard of anyone getting diseases from them... just grossed-out!
My neighbor says the ticks prefer animals to people, but they apparently will take what they can get.
They are not anything as bad as bedbugs.
Kiwi, I hope your boy recovers quickly.

Reb

oooeeh, i don't know. A chance of lymes disease or being pestered by hard-to-get-rid off bedbugs.

pffff:confused:;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We found two ticks from our dog during our 6 week camino in mid May-June. I would say that is not much. We have seen much worse on our holidays.

If they are paralysis ticks the little black ones may be the nymph stage of the big gray ones. They go through 4 stages to reach maturity and breed, and to moult from one stage to the next they need a blood meal. Quite fascinating really. Just in case you ever get a Trivia question on ticks.

If they are paralysis ticks the little black ones may be the nymph stage of the big gray ones. They go through 4 stages to reach maturity and breed, and to moult from one stage to the next they need a blood meal. Quite fascinating really. Just in case you ever get a Trivia question on ticks.

T.M.I. Kanga, T.M.I. :eek::confused:o_O

We just went to the doctor this morning upon returning home because my son has a large lump near his rib that appeared whilst in Spain. Doc asked about ticks and son confessed that one day he found a black thing on his skin and it was stuck there and he had to get his nails under it to pull it off. I had no idea!!!! Doc diagnosed lymph node swelling in reaction to tick bite. That would have been mid/late June.

Kiwi-family, hope your son is well.

I had a bunch of ticks on my Camino Olvidado. One was in my back, and I had to ask a staff person in the Hostal Moderno in Cistierna to pull it out with tweezers. She was happy to do so, but after the blood started running down my back, she said she wasn't sure she had gotten it all. Two days later in La Robla, I decided I should have someone take a look at it. My first stop was the farmacia, since I've gotten all kinds of medical treatment from pharmacists in Spain. But she told me I really should go to a doctor, since ticks can be serious.

I went to the local "urgencias" and was immediately seen by a doctor. After getting through the part about how I had no medical card, and how she had no way to take any money from me, she examined me, gave me a prescription for an antibiotic to start at the first sign of a fever, and sent me on my way. But not until giving me after a very spirited critique of the US health care system. :)

Recommended to us by our local hospital during a tick plague - If you get a tick give a short spray with an aerosol hydrocarbon for starting diesel motors (in Australia called "Aerostart" and another brand called "Start You Bugga") which freezes and kills the tick instantly. They fall out by themselves in a day or two. Mucking around with tweezers if you are not good at it can cause the tick to inject more saliva.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We have invested in a pack of tick removing tools - one small, one larger and minimal weight. We bought them in a vets and they are double pronged. In some parts of the body it would need someone else to slide it under the tick and turn it. They are also on Amazon in the pets section

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back