• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tight boots and dodgy tendon -5 weeks to go. Help!

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
After quite a lot of walking in lockdown I realised a couple of month ago that the soles on my trusty Meindl Veneto comfort fit boots, which never gave me any bother even when new, would need replacing. Only to find that repairers were quoting a 12 week turnaround. This seemed too tight when we planned to leave in April. So I bought another pair exactly the same, only to find that after a month of wear (maybe 40 miles) they still hurt, especially the left boot over the top of my toes.
To make matters worse, in the last 3 weeks the achilles tendon on my right foot has started "nagging" when I walk, though it recovers quickly . That's not something I've had before, and perhaps could be connected to the ankle sprain I had at Christmas and which seemed completely recovered.
The thought of setting out on a long walk is worrying, and delaying/cancelling not a straightforward option. I'd appreciate any advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try different shoes, a good pair of sandals is a blessing for your tendons, for example!

Very difficult to give advice about this. Personally I went from walking in Meindl boots (which gave me some problems similar to yours) to Meindl shoes (same result) to walking in light trail running shoes (wide model) – much better. Perhaps worth trying?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try KT ( or other kinesiology tape) on your tendon.

I would be off to see a podiatrist first thing - here they are university trained and can diagnose as well as treat foot problems. A good experienced podiatrist can often pinpoint a particular issue - it may be the footwear you are wearing, or it could be something else.

Boots are not necessary for the camino (I have been wearing sandals for years), so discuss with your podiatrist some of the alternatives - many lightweight trail runners or walkers are comfortable straight out of the box. If you are choosing high cut boots because it gives you ankle support, you might want to think about getting stability another way, such as using trekking sticks or getting shoes with a deep heel and orthotics. All things that a podiatrist can discuss with you.

There's a good chance you have Achilles Tendonitis, but a consult with your primary care physician, a podiatrist or a physiatrist can make sure. There are treatments, including home stretching/strengthening exercises and tendon massages recommended by physical therapists, as well as icing and anti-inflammatories, that can improve it. The fact that the symptoms only occur when you are walking and that they resolve quickly after the workout is a good sign that this is not severe and will be easier to manage, even while your pushing those miles on the Camino.

I like a couple of physical therapists on the internet, Bob and Brad, whose seem to be very sharp and offer some good explanations of a condition and helpful ideas for PT treatments. They've been spot-on for a couple of my ailments. Still, a quick visit to your PCP is a very good idea, as they can help you confirm what's up and possibly refer you to some good realtime physical therapists who will work with your specifics, including your Camino aspirations.

Those two internet PTs are at:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've also been dealing with achilles tendonitis (plus a heel spur!) over the past year prior to setting out on my own Camino this May. I feel your pain, literally and figuratively.

As I'm sure you're aware and as others have mentioned here, achilles tendonitis is difficult to treat, especially quickly. Physical therapy exercises and KT tape were both recommended but neither did much for me.

My podiatrist recommended the use of 1/4"/6 mm heel lifts under the inserts of my Altra shoes (apparently "zero drop" shoes can contribute to achilles issues), which helped ease my tendonitis considerably over a period of several months.

And although it's a contentious threatment, I also received a cortisone shot a few months ago which alleviated my discomfort completely. I plan to get another one a week or two before my walk. (There is evidence that these shots can potentially damage the tendon over time, so of course talk to your podiatrist in detail about it. For me, it's practically been a miracle cure.)

As for shoe tightness and pain on the top/sides of feet, I experienced all of the above when breaking in the shoes I had been planning to wear on my Camino. I was almost ready to give up on them before I tried switching to a "no tie" lacing system with elastic shoelaces. The system not only stabilizes the foot inside a shoe as good or better than conventional lacing does, but does not cause undue pressure across the tops of the feet. It also completely alleviated my pain and feeling that my shoes were too tight/narrow. (Plus, no more untied laces - and the system makes adjusting lacing tightness much easier, which is a boon for dealing with feet swelling during a long walk.)

They're inexpensive enough to be worth a try.
LockLaces are one well known brand name, but there are a few others.

And finally (and speaking of laces in general) the website below has been an invaluable resource for me in finding a lacing system to alleviate many common foot/shoe problems including heel slippage, metatarsal pain, tendonitis, etc. Turns out that proper lacing techniques (and possibly trying out different ones from the one you usually use) are a lot more important than most people think!

Standard disclaimers apply: I am not a doctor, your mileage may vary, talk to your podiatrist first, etc.
Wishing you all the best on your journey ahead!

Last edited:
After quite a lot of walking in lockdown I realised a couple of month ago that the soles on my trusty Meindl Veneto comfort fit boots, which never gave me any bother even when new, would need replacing. Only to find that repairers were quoting a 12 week turnaround. This seemed too tight when we planned to leave in April. So I bought another pair exactly the same, only to find that after a month of wear (maybe 40 miles) they still hurt, especially the left boot over the top of my toes.
To make matters worse, in the last 3 weeks the achilles tendon on my right foot has started "nagging" when I walk, though it recovers quickly . That's not something I've had before, and perhaps could be connected to the ankle sprain I had at Christmas and which seemed completely recovered.
The thought of setting out on a long walk is worrying, and delaying/cancelling not a straightforward option. I'd appreciate any advice.
Attend to both problems (not sure how) before you start! Or you won't finish. Maybe a simple pair of joggers will do the trick.
Buen Camino

Thank you for your replies. I did consult my podiatrist who recommended some exercises for the tendon (it's only a slight problem) and suggested sandals or trail runners.
I've bought a pair of Keen Whisper sandals, which so far have been very comfortable worn indoors. I've seen several references to them on this forum. And they are vastly lighter than the boots, which can only be a good thing. Now looking for some very light thinnish socks, in case it's cold.

And letting go of my preconceptions about how far and long I shall walk. What will be will be.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.