• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time for a Sock thread!

Willin'

Abiding Dude
Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino in September 2017
Hello All,

Well, after too much reading, research and shopping I've finally picked out my shoes and got some 1000 Mile socks. My first impression on the XL socks is 'Gosh, they're very thin and tight!' and yet they are the largest size 1000 Mile makes.

I'm trying to not overthink every aspect of my preps for next Fall's Portugues, but since I'm going away to Newfoundland for most of the summer and plan to do a lot of hiking there, I thought it would be a good time to try a few different brands and types of socks, since they're about the cheapest footwear item.

As a youth we always wore 2 pair (thinner liner and thicker wool outer sock) and bought our leather hiking boots a full size too large. I'm wondering if there's still any virtue in doing it the old school way or has modern materials and construction technology made that obsolete?

Please share what type or brand sock has worked or not for you.

Many thanks and Bom Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dude, I like Thorlos with knee-hi nylons under to reduce friction (have heard that the Marines use this method.......). I also like Injinjis by themselves. Once feet are tough from hiking in preparation, I don't have much trouble with them unless there's really uneven ground (like the day from Rabanal to Molinaseca). Then I use tape and hiker's wool for protection and comfort. Happy preparing and training!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bridgedale socks have worked well for me. Smartwool too. The main thing is to have flat-seamed toes on them. I used to do the 2 socks thing, and did so on my 1st camino. On my second and 3rd caminos, i didnt bother. I have had a single blister on each camino. Not too bad. Funny Highlandshiker should mention Rabanal to Molinaseca... That's where I got this year's blister.

I had been wondering about the lack of Hosiery Debate on here lately.

I like Thorlos, non wool, as wool makes me itchy.
Only thing is, as they are artificial fibres, it is hard to wear them in holes, they go rather thin and hard and scratchy instead, which can creep up on one unawares. I need to replace mine now, in fact.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
.....I took 2 pairs of 1000 miles socks last year and yes!! no blisters for the first day....but I got blisters from day 2. This year I will use a thin liner and a merino outer sock. I think what helped me was the vaseline put on everyday but only did this from the 5 day but will do it from day one this year.

My wife and I used sock liners, either silk or synthetic under our Fox River hiking socks and neither of us developed any blisters. We bought our boot 1/2 size larger than normal, but I think socks these days might be a little thinner than in the old days. Our children, who didn't listen about the liner socks, weren't so lucky. I highly recommend liner socks, not matter what brand of outer socks you use.

Hello All,

Well, after too much reading, research and shopping I've finally picked out my shoes and got some 1000 Mile socks. My first impression on the XL socks is 'Gosh, they're very thin and tight!' and yet they are the largest size 1000 Mile makes.

I'm trying to not overthink every aspect of my preps for next Fall's Portugues, but since I'm going away to Newfoundland for most of the summer and plan to do a lot of hiking there, I thought it would be a good time to try a few different brands and types of socks, since they're about the cheapest footwear item.

As a youth we always wore 2 pair (thinner liner and thicker wool outer sock) and bought our leather hiking boots a full size too large. I'm wondering if there's still any virtue in doing it the old school way or has modern materials and construction technology made that obsolete?

IMG_6783.jpg Four of us show up to walk "The Way of St. Francis" in Italy in Darn Tough Socks. Wore them with the injinji toe liners for two Camino de Santiago's also......and you can't beat the LIFETIME unconditional guarantee.

P.S. I had a pair of the 1000 mile socks with the attached liner. I was worried that the double layer would not dry; especially on the wet days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all very much for the great replies. Since price is a factor, I'm thinking of trying a few liner combinations. Maybe the knee high nylons (if I can find something that fits my size 12s) and injinjis under some merino outer socks.

Should give me some foot for thought! ;0

Muito Obrigado!

Thank you all very much for the great replies. Since price is a factor, I'm thinking of trying a few liner combinations. Maybe the knee high nylons (if I can find something that fits my size 12s) and injinjis under some merino outer socks.

Should give me some foot for thought! ;0

Muito Obrigado!
You might want to try the ankle high nylons.

I used Wright Socks double layer socks. I only had one small blister on the side of my second toe that I attribute to a hot day when I didn't take the time to air out my feet and change socks.

I use thin-medium synthetic socks - sometimes bought in the bicycling department. Much as I like wool for other purposes, I find it too warm and soft (allowing motion/slippage).

Buy 3 different kinds and try them until you find a preference.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seems to me that after watching sock discussions here and elsewhere over many years, socks are a commodity item with most of the differences being brand differentiation created by large advertising budgets, NOT by real product differences. Apart from avoiding cotton, I buy on price.

Having hiking sandals gives me a few options: knee high hose with socks, just the hose, nothing on my feet at all. The knee high hose work for me.

I use only 1 or if darn tough socks. Never got a blister. No rubbing of the sock since they fit so well and don't bunch up. In 20+ years of backpacking I do never worn liners or double socks. If your shoes fit there's no need to double up.
Body glide on my feet is the only other thing I use to keep my feet dryer and cut down on friction.

Our sock system is Rohan (or similar) liners, called 'inner and hot'. Men's and women's are the same so only size is important.
Middle sock is Corrymoor 'Sportsman' and then their cushion soled 'Companion' or 'Sportsman' (different lengths). No blisters ever. If hot the middle socks can be changed for a second pair of Rohan. Or if you prefer the outers for a second pair of the 'middle socks'. Corrymoor do not need washing, and Rohan dry very quickly. Three pairs of Rohan and a full change of Corrymoors were plenty for our Caminos.
Both have international mailing and are '.co.uk' webpages not '.com'

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello All,

I just got back from walking SJPP to Pamplona. I have always walked with liners and wool socks. This time I tried something different. I used running socks with the brand name Feetures. The type was the elite series. They worked really well. No blisters. And they kept my feet cool. One day I put Body Glide on my feet and the next day I did not. Same performance. I only had one pair to test (other socks were lines and wool socks) and I ended up washing this pair every night and wearing them each day. I even wore them while touring Pamplona and for the rest of my trip. I highly recommend them.

It seems to me that after watching sock discussions here and elsewhere over many years, socks are a commodity item with most of the differences being brand differentiation created by large advertising budgets, NOT by real product differences. Apart from avoiding cotton, I buy on price.

I like the way you think, Dougfitz. It slowly dawns on me that I could spend a small fortune on extremely specialized stuff in this relatively short pursuit. Then there's all the driving around and internet time spent finding and researching. Woof!

Once again, thanks all for the kind replies! The generosity on this forum is staggering.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
After a few hundred dollars spent on all sorts of socks - silky knee high hose with light weight (cheap) nylon socks over them keep my feet the coolest. Easy to wash & dry, easy to replace along your Way.

I have been using a combo of Iniji liner and a light cushion Thorlo running sock in my training walks. I leave for my first walking camino in 4 days. Wondering how these will hold up to daily wear on the camino?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used 1000 mile socks but they were so hard to put on/ take off that I had to cut them off! they take days to dry! I use a thin liner sock and pretty well anything over them.

If your shoes fit there's no need to double up.
Body glide on my feet is the only other thing I use to keep my feet dryer and cut down on friction.
I have never heard of anyone recommending liner socks to address poor footwear fit, and I must admit I cannot see how they would do that. I have always seen liner socks as a way of reducing friction by adding an extra sliding surface between your footwear and your skin. They can do that all day, whereas products that lubricate the skin might be effective for a couple of hours or so.

I would want to better understand the thinking behind this before making a judgement on whether it is sound advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have never heard of anyone recommending liner socks to address poor footwear fit, and I must admit I cannot see how they would do that. I have always seen liner socks as a way of reducing friction by adding an extra sliding surface between your footwear and your skin. They can do that all day, whereas products that lubricate the skin might be effective for a couple of hours or so.

I would want to better understand the thinking behind this before making a judgement on whether it is sound advice.
I have, this the reason for my answer. I also gave my expertise. Feel free to answer questions at your discretion but do not attack mine.

Hi Willin!
I use the liner plus thicker sock combination, both Bridgedale. Mostly buy in sales online which saves a lot ;) No leather hiking boots for me, I came late to hiking and new materials were everywhere. (I remember skiing in leather boots though :eek::D )
Happy trekking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, that was then...

10360452_10205940432980647_5283239643500749990_n.jpg

I have, this the reason for my answer. I also gave my expertise. Feel free to answer questions at your discretion but do not attack mine.
I had hoped you might have been able to provide a more cogent explanation for the 'advice' you gave. If 'I read it somewhere' is as good as it gets, then let me restate this - liner socks are about reducing friction. I don't know if they help with footwear that doesn't fit, but I would suggest there are better ways to address that problem than using liner socks. If you need to, wear your footwear in gradually so that it adopts the shape of your foot. Or if you are buying footwear that doesn't need to be worn-in, buy a brand and style that fits properly in the first place.

The choice to use liner socks is always going to be a personal one, but certainly don't think that because your footwear fits that they are not a valid option.

I was looking to purchase a couple of pairs of Bridgedale Merino Light Hiker for my first Camino Portuguese in August, They are currently on offer in Cotsworld outdoors, £8.00!
Their not 100% Merino, but have good user reviews.
Would these be suitable to wear with running shoes? (Asics)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was looking to purchase a couple of pairs of Bridgedale Merino Light Hiker for my first Camino Portuguese in August, They are currently on offer in Cotsworld outdoors, £8.00!

They're the ones I use in Summer, very pleased with them but it's all subjective of course.
I don't wear running shoes so can't help with that...
I'd buy a pair and train with them? It's the only way you'll know if they suit you.
Buen camino :)

They're the ones I use in Summer, very pleased with them but it's all subjective of course.
I don't wear running shoes so can't help with that...
I'd buy a pair and train with them? It's the only way you'll know if they suit you.
Buen camino :)
Thanks, good to know!
I normally wear North Face Hedgehog trail shoes, but the Asics are more comfortable and I think they'll let my feet breath a bit more! I will definitely try them out before hand!
Cheers

Not completely sure, but I think I use the Bridgedale coolfusion trail diva socks, which look very similar. Anyway, I wear them with cheap and cheerful trainers bought from Sports Direct a year ago and they work well for me as the socks are nice and tight and stay firm on my foot. I bought another brand's coolfusion socks merino socks and they were useless as they were too loose and slipped around too much. Unfortunately, you don't know until you try them out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought a couple of pairs of Darn Tough and they were fine during training....however when I put them to the test of notching up some serious mileage - I suffered with massive multiple blisters (MMB - I'm copyrighting that acronym) this could have been partly due to the leather footwear and at £25 a pair, I'm in no hurry to throw them out!
I've since invested in a few pairs of 1000 mile approach socks - having seen the brand recommended on this forum. I've only used them a few weeks....but the double layer seems to work perfectly. Thin liner to grip the foot and an outer layer to move with the shoe. Only got as far as 22km in them - but not even a hotspot!

Well, so far I've spent a small fortune on Darn Tough, Injinji, 1000 Mile and Smartwool, plus I've found my wife's nylon knee highs feel surprisingly good and wonder what the rest of the stuff in her underwear drawer might feel like against my skin...for hiking people, get your minds out of the gutter. :D

Given that my first 3 training hikes of 7, 12 and 10 miles in light hikers, sneakers and open toed Tevas all yielded catastrophic ball and toe blisters that have only recently stopped peeling, I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail next week with my new Merril Moab IIs and a quiver of sock combos (all of which I learned about on this forum) and foot salves and doing some lab work.

Thanks all!

Well, so far I've spent a small fortune on Darn Tough, Injinji, 1000 Mile and Smartwool, plus I've found my wife's nylon knee highs feel surprisingly good and wonder what the rest of the stuff in her underwear drawer might feel like against my skin...for hiking people, get your minds out of the gutter. :D

Given that my first 3 training hikes of 7, 12 and 10 miles in light hikers, sneakers and open toed Tevas all yielded catastrophic ball and toe blisters that have only recently stopped peeling, I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail next week with my new Merril Moab IIs and a quiver of sock combos (all of which I learned about on this forum) and foot salves and doing some lab work.

Thanks all!
I think some people are prone to blisters. I never got any. A couple of hot spots, yes but no blisters. Merrill Moab waterproof shoes and darn tough socks. But--the shoes caused my plantar fasciitis to flare up. So it's always something :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello All,

Another vote for Wrightsocks---two camino and no blisters

I wear socks everyday, didn't get a single blister. Various brands, but they're all merino wool. As long as I wear the correct fit for shoes and socks, and pull them tight every couple of hours. I have no problems. Now if I could do something about my foot odor, that'd be something.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have had success with my 1000 mile socks on short (2-3hour) hikes - worked really well walking all day on hard surfaces in recent trip to Cinqua Terre, including a trail between towns. Did not smell, no blisters, and able to wear a couple times before washing. Planning on taking 2 pair on September CF next September (wear one/wash and let dry one next day). It's been good reading about other's experiences.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.