• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time from Madrid Airport arrival to Atocha Train departure

SandyJA

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi Everyone!

I'll be arriving at Madrid airport on Wednesday at 12.40 with RyanAir at terminal 1. No checked luggage, only a hand bag. I am planning on catching the Express bus to Atocha and then A train from there. I am just about to buy the train tickets and thought I had better check if I am cutting it too close.

I was planning on buying the tickets for the 14.45 train. Should I go for the 16.25 instead?

My calculations are:
Arrive at 12.40 (RyanAir is generally on time)
Exit airport at 1pm
Catch bus at 1.15pm (in case I miss the 1pm bus)
Arrive at Atocha at 2pm
Which leaves me 45 mins to find the train and a little buffer for any delays.

Is this enough?

I really don't want to wait for an extra 2 hours if it's not necessary.

IF anyone can reply, It would really help me out!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Everyone!

I'll be arriving at Madrid airport on Wednesday at 12.40 with RyanAir at terminal 1. No checked luggage, only a hand bag. I am planning on catching the Express bus to Atocha and then A train from there. I am just about to buy the train tickets and thought I had better check if I am cutting it too close.

I was planning on buying the tickets for the 14.45 train. Should I go for the 16.25 instead?

My calculations are:
Arrive at 12.40 (RyanAir is generally on time)
Exit airport at 1pm
Catch bus at 1.15pm (in case I miss the 1pm bus)
Arrive at Atocha at 2pm
Which leaves me 45 mins to find the train and a little buffer for any delays.

Is this enough?

I really don't want to wait for an extra 2 hours if it's not necessary.

IF anyone can reply, It would really help me out!!
Hola, Sandy,

I don't know the answer to your question but I think you better post it in "Coming to/from Camino" section or in the section that covers the route you intend to walk. This thread is about Camino de Madrid which isn't so popular as Camino Frances for example and therefore not many members take a peek in here :)

Hope you'll get the answer soon.

Ultreia!

Thread moved.

Sandy, that looks to be a tight timetable. Flight landing times are always "wheels on tarmac" not "Doors open at the ramp". And even then 20 minutes to exit Arrivals is, I think, optimistic.

However, no worries. Unless you are intending to travel on a national holiday I have never found booking train tickets in advance to be necessary. You will find all the answers you seek, and alternatives, in the "Travelling to/from section." Including recommendations to use the frequent Airport shuttle bus to T4 and catch the half-hourly Cercanias train to Attocha. In my experience far quicker than the bus to Attocha.

Depending on where you are starting your camino you may find that there are direct buses from T4.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I concur. The convenience of buying your train ticket beforehand comes with the rushing to be in Atocha in time.
I suggest you take the "cercanias" train, as proposed by Tincatinker, and at the same time (when you already know your arrival time at Atocha) buy the other leg of your travel. See here.
If you have some spare time in Atocha, you can visit and relax in the very pleasant Parque del Retiro (beautiful gardens, a lake), just 10 minutes from the terminal.
Buen camino!

Hi Sandy,my suggestion, do not go by stated "arrival" airplane times, no need to get train or bus tix ahead of time and cercanias to either Atocha or Chamartin is the fastest! To Atocha from airport is 26 min and runs every 30 min on the cercanias.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sandy:

Your timeline and plan are feasible. If you run into a time issue due to delay, you can always take a cab from any terminal to Puerta de Atocha (30) euro's.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the information.

My issue with catching the Cercanias train is that since I'll be arriving in Madrid T1, I'd need wo get the airport shuttle to t4 which would still take some 15-20 mins.
So option 1: Shuttle and train = approx 45/50 mins
option 2 : Express bus = 35/40 mins.

So it doesnt seem that the Cercanias is a better option for me in this situation. Even if it where the same duration, I'd still have to catch 2 trips instead of 1.

Does anyone know id the Express Bus drop off at Atocha is far from the Puerta de Atocha train rail? Since thats the Alicante departure point

Thanks everyone for your input!

Hi, Sandy,

The Atocha drop off for the bus is right at the Atocha Train Station. And I agree with you that since you are not coming into T4, the bus is a better option than Cercanías because of the need to get the airport shuttle over to T4.

On another thread, I posted this link to a map put out by the airport authority that summarizes all public transportation options for getting into the city from the different terminals. Even though you´ve got it all figured out, I´ll just post it here again for others, because I think it makes things very clear. Buen camino, Laurie

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1237647142503&ssbinary=true&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment; filename=AENA-MAD_Transporte_Publico_ES_EN_MAR2014.pdf

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back