• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time needed for security screening at Santiago de Compostela airport.

teambergie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese 2022 Frances May 2024
Hello, we will be completing our Camino de Santiago Portuguese central walk this Friday, July 1.
Our flight to Barcelona (Ryanair) departs at 1340 on Sunday, July 3. What should we allow time-wise to get to the airport and through security? Any reports of recent abnormal wait times due to the ongoing air travel melt-down being reported worldwide ?
Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

I came through Santiago airport security yesterday 28/6/22 (albeit early @7am) and security was well organized and I was through in 10-15mins (Ryan air text allows 2 hours).

If you are transiting via Madrid it was more like 30 mins in security. Passport control is the biggest issue, so expect a wait of 40 approx mins plus.

Hope that helps

Wow - probably less than 3 minutes! That was early May for me. Maybe add 2 minutes to be safe. haha

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In addition to time needed to go through security, be sure to review the fine print for your ticket for any deadline to check in (unless you are able to do it on line) and obtain your boarding past.

I don't have experience with Ryan Air but my upcoming flight on Iberia Express stipulates:

"Iberia Express closes its check-in desks 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time. For flights leaving from Madrid or outside of the Schengen Area, check-in counters close 55 minutes prior to departure."

In addition to time needed to go through security, be sure to review the fine print for your ticket for any deadline to check in (unless you are able to do it on line) and obtain your boarding past.

I don't have experience with Ryan Air but my upcoming flight on Iberia Express stipulates:

"Iberia Express closes its check-in desks 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time. For flights leaving from Madrid or outside of the Schengen Area, check-in counters close 55 minutes prior to departure."
My outbound Ryanair flight last week, from UK to Madrid was delayed 50 mins and my connecting flight (with Iberia) to Vigo was also delayed 40mins.

The difficulties seem to lie with passport control and a lesser extent security.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I travelled on Ryan Air at the beginning of the month. The night before, they sent an email (via my wife, who had booked the flight for me) stating that they wanted me to be at check-in three hours before gate closure. When I fronted up at the check-in desk, the woman looked at me in amazement, and told me they wouldn't be checking in for over an hour for my flight. I informed her that I was only following the instructions sent to me. She then made a statement to the effect that the company was wrong, and check-in wasn't going to open for my flight until two hours before the scheduled departure.

I don't know how you would go about checking with the local airline representative in Santiago if this happened, but be aware that there appears to be a conflict here.

And as others have said, getting through the security and passport checks was quick, even with the additional checks at I am subjected to at security because I have a couple of prosthetic joints.

Last edited:
I travelled on Ryan Air at the beginning of the month. The night before, they sent an email (via my wife, who had booked the flight for me) stating that they wanted me to be at check-in three hours before gate closure. When I fronted up at the check-in desk, the woman looked at me in amazement, and told me they wouldn't be checking in for over an hour for my flight. I informed her that I was only following the instructions sent to me. She then made a statement to the effect that the company was wrong, and check-in wasn't going to open for my flight until two hours before the scheduled departure.

I don't know how you would go about checking with the local airline representative in Santiago if this happened, but be aware that there appears to be a conflict here.

And as others have said, getting through the security and passport checks was quick, even with the additional checks at I am subjected to at security because I have a couple of prosthetic joints.
Don’t know if you still have email copy but likely to be generic to catch all customers irrespective of airport. So sent to passengers from busy major hubs and small airports! Main target would be big airports.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don’t know if you still have email copy but likely to be generic to catch all customers irrespective of airport. So sent to passengers from busy major hubs and small airports! Main target would be big airports.
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't work for me as an explanation. They should know when their check-in gates open at the various airports they fly from and not ask their customers to arrive an hour early unnecessarily to find the check-in hasn't opened for their flight.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't work for me as an explanation. They should know when their check-in gates open at the various airports they fly from and not ask their customers to arrive an hour early unnecessarily to find the check-in hasn't opened for their flight.
Not advocating it, just saying it is probably what you received. I would be surprised if an airline would segment their customer base for this type of message by airport! Very costly and time consuming.

Not advocating it, just saying it is probably what you received. I would be surprised if an airline would segment their customer base for this type of message by airport! Very costly and time consuming.
Really? I would have thought any good customer relationship management, booking and scheduling software would have found it a breeze to match a passenger with the airport they are flying from. That's surely core to their business. It should then be a simple step to have an information pack tailored for the specific airports that can be sent to passengers flying from specific locations. Expensive and time consuming? I don't think so.

Anyhow, this isn't the real point. That was to warn anyone travelling with Ryan Air to treat a message to get there early with caution, and perhaps check that they are not being asked to get to the airport well before the check-in opens for their flight.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Really? I would have thought any good customer relationship management, booking and scheduling software would have found it a breeze to match a passenger with the airport they are flying from. That's surely core to their business. It should then be a simple step to have an information pack tailored for the specific airports that can be sent to passengers flying from specific locations. Expensive and time consuming? I don't think so.

Anyhow, this isn't the real point. That was to warn anyone travelling with Ryan Air to treat a message to get their early with caution, and perhaps check that they are not being asked to get to the airport well before the check-in opens for their flight.
I am saying how it maybe versus how it should be and I have no idea re Ryanair’s CRM capability, who manages their data, whom their agency is, and so on. But 1 email with one set of copy, Proofing, 1 set of translation and so on is definitely easier and cheaper, and less likely for error than say 200 versions. Perfect world maybe not but that’s not how it is likely to be!!

Customers are right to expect 121 targeted messaging but there are many constraints to that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, we will be completing our Camino de Santiago Portuguese central walk this Friday, July 1.
Our flight to Barcelona (Ryanair) departs at 1340 on Sunday, July 3. What should we allow time-wise to get to the airport and through security? Any reports of recent abnormal wait times due to the ongoing air travel melt-down being reported worldwide ?
Thanks.
It will depend on how busy your flight is and how many other flights land/depart at a similar time = hard to predict. Get there 3hrs before take off time - if you’re early sit, have a coffee and chill.
I took the bus from Santiago to the airport - it was not running to the published timetable but I allowed 1.5hrs for the bus journey time including waiting at the bus stop so had plenty of time.

It will depend on how busy your flight is and how many other flights land/depart at a similar time = hard to predict. Get there 3hrs before take off time - if you’re early sit, have a coffee and chill.
I took the bus from Santiago to the airport - it was not running to the published timetable but I allowed 1.5hrs for the bus journey time including waiting at the bus stop so had plenty of time.
Broadly but airport operators resource Up and down for peak times. To me you don’t need 3 Hours but often the hours before a flight is ‘dead time’ anyway so might as well have a coffee at airport as opposed to in city

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Anyhow, this isn't the real point. That was to warn anyone travelling with Ryan Air to treat a message to get their early with caution, and perhaps check that they are not being asked to get to the airport well before the check-in opens for their flight.
I think that even in an imperfect world this would be easy to do. I have never flown Ryanair so I have no experience with them. Having flown many different airlines over the years I have come to the conclusion that the overwhelming majority of airlines do not give a damn about their customers except trying to find ways to squeeze us into smaller seats, give us bad and uncaring service and twist every nickel they can out of the customers for all their wondrous and confusing fees.

I think that even in an imperfect world this would be easy to do. I have never flown Ryanair so I have no experience with them. Having flown many different airlines over the years I have come to the conclusion that the overwhelming majority of airlines do not give a damn about their customers except trying to find ways to squeeze us into smaller seats, give us bad and uncaring service and twist every nickel they can out of the customers for all their wondrous and confusing fees.
I guess we are going round in circles! I have never worked in CRM, but have worked alongside and they cannot be many tougher and more detailed places to work!

I don’t know where airlines are in terms of consumer ratings, whether they have gone up or down. I am relaxed about modular pricing as a value proposition/trade off though it’s very tough and confusing online!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
Hi there
I flew this morning Vueling 6:40am departure to Barcelona. Arrived just under 2 hours before and that was the right amount of time without panic or undue hanging around.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess we are going round in circles! I have never worked in CRM, but have worked alongside and they cannot be many tougher and more detailed places to work!

I don’t know where airlines are in terms of consumer ratings, whether they have gone up or down. I am relaxed about modular pricing as a value proposition/trade off though it’s very tough and confusing online!
I know for a fact just reading the news things are tougher than ever. But I can say as a former business flyer who has taken hundreds and hundreds of flights over the years I have a night full of stories of unprovoked bad customer relations from mostly the ground personal in airports. There is also no doubt whatsoever that the airlines gouge customers on a daily basis with extra baggage fees, exorbitant fees to get a seat ahead of time, waiting on the telephone for endless hours to speak to a representative, understaffing in airports, the list goes on and on. I have even flown a few airlines that if I wanted even a glass of water I had to buy an overpriced small bottle. Volaris airlines in Mexico comes to mind. I do have sympathy especially for airline crews and counter people especially in the United States where they are taking their life in their hands because of passengers who act totally insane. Yes Covid has given permission for these people to act horrendously. Which brings up another point, why aren't all the airlines getting together to completely bar any passenger who behaves like this? Why are they resisting pooling this information to prevent this assine and dangerous passengers from just choosing another airline. This behavior is getting worse by passengers but I can safely say from my own personal experience and those of other frequent business travelers I know that many employers have acted like total jerks for years pre-Covid.

I know for a fact just reading the news things are tougher than ever. But I can say as a former business flyer who has taken hundreds and hundreds of flights over the years I have a night full of stories of unprovoked bad customer relations from mostly the ground personal in airports. There is also no doubt whatsoever that the airlines gouge customers on a daily basis with extra baggage fees, exorbitant fees to get a seat ahead of time, waiting on the telephone for endless hours to speak to a representative, understaffing in airports, the list goes on and on. I have even flown a few airlines that if I wanted even a glass of water I had to buy an overpriced small bottle. Volaris airlines in Mexico comes to mind. I do have sympathy especially for airline crews and counter people especially in the United States where they are taking their life in their hands because of passengers who act totally insane. Yes Covid has given permission for these people to act horrendously. Which brings up another point, why aren't all the airlines getting together to completely bar any passenger who behaves like this? Why are they resisting pooling this information to prevent this assine and dangerous passengers from just choosing another airline. This behavior is getting worse by passengers but I can safely say from my own personal experience and those of other frequent business travelers I know that many employers have acted like total jerks for years pre-Covid.
….and this is related to the topic/question because………?

….and this is related to the topic/question because………?
Because i was responding to someone else that is why. We all have a choice of what we do and do not want to read. I do not know what the big deal is. Also there literally thousands of posts in threads we have all read over the years that diverge from the original topic.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had the same experience as #dougfitz with Ryanair. Email late the night before advising to arrive 3 hours before. Got through security in less than ten minutes! Then waited several hours for the check in desk to open.

Then chaos as Ryanair tried to get an entire plane full of people to fit onto two flights of stairs as we waited for a plane to be made ready.

Happy days

Anyhow, this isn't the real point. That was to warn anyone travelling with Ryan Air to treat a message to get there early with caution, and perhaps check that they are not being asked to get to the airport well before the check-in opens for their flight.
That's why that guy started years ago that website ryanairisevil.com. Last time I checked it was not longer in existence; maybe he should start it again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had the same experience as #dougfitz with Ryanair. Email late the night before advising to arrive 3 hours before. Got through security in less than ten minutes! Then waited several hours for the check in desk to open.

Then chaos as Ryanair tried to get an entire plane full of people to fit onto two flights of stairs as we waited for a plane to be made ready.

Happy days
Yes as I said pretty sure it would be a generic email to all flyers irrespective of departure point!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back