• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time off??

ElmoForst

Time of past OR future Camino
bucket listed
I've fallen in love with the idea of being a lapsed catholic peregrino but can't figure out how in the world to get the time off needed to have a go at it. How do youse all do it, or is everyone college age or retired?
Love the forum, thanks all & cheers!
Elmo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know about everyone else, but I am not college or retired. I usually don't use much vacation time and am allowed to have 240 hours saved at the end of the callender year so after a few years that is what I have and now this year its use it or it rolls over into sick leave, so I decided to take a big vacation as I never have. I looked over the employee manual and talked to HR, then talked to my boss and had to schedule it during the fall as it is a little slower time of year. Then I just put in for 33 days off (including weekends). He wasn't really happy but not much he could say as there was no limit to the time off you can use at once in the employee manual. Then it was saving up money for a year in order to pay for the plane tickets, bus, spending money and a little equipment. Now all I have to do is wait till September.

I didn't appreciate how lucky we are in Oz, the minimum annual vacation entitlement is 4 weeks excluding public holidays. Maybe that is one reason you see so many Ozzies travelling?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are pretty well off in Australia with 4 weeks off. I won't get that until 20 years with the company. I'm at 7 years now. However I too can save up to 240 hours but I don't have to figure in weekends. That would be about 42 days off for me. Should be plenty. Now to just save it...

I'm a wife, mother of 2, and full time college student. My school is allowing me 2 months of "leave of absence" :) Surprisingly my husband said go for it as well! We never had to "talk", discuss, argue, bargain, or compromise, at all (unless he's holding it in :D ) Everyone is practically shoving me out the door! So off i'll go (in 9 months) ;)

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Freetime said:
You are pretty well off in Australia with 4 weeks off. I won't get that until 20 years with the company. I'm at 7 years now. However I too can save up to 240 hours but I don't have to figure in weekends. That would be about 42 days off for me. Should be plenty. Now to just save it...

In Australia you also get long service leave, a bonus 3 months for each ten years service, this can be accumulated ie 6 months for 20 years or take it as cash when you leave. ( for some private industry's the entitlement applies after 15 years) after the initial qualifying period long service is accrued pro-rata annually.

But that no longer applies to me as I retired 3 years ago at age 55, lots and lots of Camino time. :)

I'm walking the Camino from the beginning of September for 5 1/2 weeks using my Long Service Leave. Unfortunately, if you're in Victoria (Australia) and not in government or education or under an aware you only get 8 weeks long service leave after 10 years. I'm not complaining, mine is going to be well and truly well spent. Can't wait to get out of the rat race and on the slow path ...

In August 2012 I finished up at my job, sold everything of substance, then headed off to complete the Camino Frances. I figured a new life would find me on its completion, and it has.
I would add that this is the sixth or seventh time I have sold up and gone looking for adventure.

Regds
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Goodness, thanks all! I can see ill need to relocate to AU ;) I was quite curious about this and fingers crossed-- ill brainstorm a way for myself. Besides butting all my vacation from one year in dec and then all from the next in Jan, together. :) cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.