• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time to campeed, vaseline or duct tape?

Mr. Walker

I'm not the worlds best planner and just recently bought me a pair of walking shoes. I have been wearing them at work all week and also taken them out for a few walks. They fit and feel perfect exempt for one spot on my right little toe. It is not a blister yet but I guess it's what they call a hot spot.
So, is this when I put on a campeed? Or should I slather my feet with vaseline, wait and see if it becomes a blister and then put on campeed? Or should I wrap my toe in duct tape right this moment?
Still in Sweden on my couch by the way. I'll be on my way this monday.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got one full blown blister on a rainy hot day on the Camino couple weeks ago near Los Arcos. I put a compeed on it then duct tape to hold everything in place and it worked great. No problems since. Well not counting the run in I had with some barbed wire. Ouch. PS I am now a believer in compeed!!!
Ed

Compeed is used when it IS a blister, not for prevention. Tape and/or vaseline you use for prevention, but ducttape? Really? Why not sportstape?

Compeed is used when it IS a blister, not for prevention. Tape and/or vaseline you use for prevention, but ducttape? Really? Why not sportstape?

:) English is not my native language. The words I know are all from songs and movies. Never seen those wise guys use sporttape to shut someones mouth… But for a pinky toe it is probably better. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that prevention is better than cure. You can buy a tube made of a solid but flexible gel, covered with a mesh. You cut it to size ( there is probable enough for 5 or 6 toes). It comes in various widths according to your particular problem toe! Buy it in any pharmacy.
Personally, I don't like Compeed, but most say that it should be put on the first moment you feel a hot spot. As Falcon says, remove all trace of Vaseline first.
Loads of people swear by duct tape, but I have never tried it, but I guess it could be very useful if you develop a blister under your foot. Anne

Anna. Hola!!! I got that one blister on a rainy hot day. I felt it start but did not stop immediately and change out my wet socks. I knew better. Sheesh I was a dummy. Anyhow, the compeed covered it and soothed it. The tape merely was to provide some slick material between
My foot and my boot since it was still raining and potential for another blister to start. It worked and None did.

Buen Camino. Ed

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I politely disagree. I never use tape of any kind nor vaseline, but I do use Compeed. If I feel that a blister might be coming on - I put Compeed on it, and will leave it on for a few days, and that approach has served me well. I figure that if it is good enough for a full blown blister, then it is also good enough to prevent that niggle/hot spot from becoming a blister. Might be different for others...

Compeed is expensive, but I find that Compeed last quite a few days as long as you put it on dry skin, allow it to "settle" for at least 15-30m, then make sure your socks are dry. I will shower with it on, then allow feet and Compeed to dry whilst wearing flip-flops/thongs/Crocs.

To me - using vaseline/grease is counter intuitive. However I do understand that it is not for others. Most common causes for blisters seem to be ill-fitting/not walked in boots/shoes and hot/sweaty feet that makes your feet swell and skin soften, and I believe that smearing your feet in with grease is not going to help with letting your body release excess moisture. Others believe that the benefits in reducing friction is more beneficial - testing, trying, failing, succeeding and then you'll find what works for you, and that process might have to be repeated a few times

I think that prevention is better than cure. You can buy a tube made of a solid but flexible gel, covered with a mesh. You cut it to size ( there is probable enough for 5 or 6 toes). It comes in various widths according to your particular problem toe! Buy it in any pharmacy.

That sounds good, is there a proper medical/brand name for it?

Personally, I don't like Compeed, but most say that it should be put on the first moment you feel a hot spot. As Falcon says, remove all trace of Vaseline first.
Loads of people swear by duct tape, but I have never tried it, but I guess it could be very useful if you develop a blister under your foot. Anne

I've used Compeed and liked it but I've seen bad reactions in other people. I don't know if it is something to do with hygiene/cleanliness of the wound before applying but I've seen a couple of really horrible, weepy wounds after using Compeed. I'm not a big fan of duct tape, the adhesive can be pretty harsh on the skin and it doesn't breathe.

I like just simple, fabric plaster tape.

I definitely use compeed as prevention in as much as I use it as soon as I get the odd hot spot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used Compeed for prevention. I placed on heels, and on friction points. Then, applied vaseline on the rest of the foot. Work like a charm..and no, I did not replaced the compeeds every day.

Lets put it in another way. Compeed is made for use when you have a blister, not for prevention. How people use it, is of course up to them.

Compeed worked well when I had a blister on my baby toe, but it left goop on my sock that was nearly impossible to completely remove. After I had healed, I felt my foot was better, but my sock was worse!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Been there, done that. Thats compeed for ya.

Try putting some tape over the compeed next time. It will safe you a sock. The glue compeed leaves behind in your sock wont wash out.

There are a couple of different medical quality tapes that you might want to consider. The first is standard strapping tape. This has a relatively strong adhesive, but not so strong that it cannot be removed without causing damage to the skin. The other is a non-woven tape, like Micropore a 3M brand but there are others. The adhesive is less aggressive than that on strapping tapes, and it is relatively easy to remove.

If you are going to use tape, whatever the variety, it is important to remove the tape daily. I normally do this at night, and re-apply the tape the following morning. On the other hand, Compeed is designed to be left in place until the blister heals.

I use a non-woven tape as a preventative measure. I have a bunion that pushes my big and next toe together on one foot, and I tape between those toes to reduce the friction. This has worked successfully on three pilgimages. @annakappa described another preventative measure, and my wife swears by hikers wool (almost as much as she does at me at the end of a long walking day!).

I can't remember if there was a brand name. Doesn't matter, just go to the pharmacy and you will see the tubes displayed, together with all the other useful things that Pilgrims need for their feet and legs:)
I have only had blisters, bad blisters at that, on my first Camino. Basically I didn't have a clue how prevent them. Since the, I use this wonder tube and gel heel cups to protect the heels. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been worried about blisters forming during those long hot days of walking and read a lot on how to avoid them.
I'm now going to trial a sock called ArmaSkin(armaskin.com). The manufacturer claims that no-one has ever gotten a blister using the ArmaSkin liner and if for some reason you do then you will be the first and they will give you a refund.

I used BodyGlide Liquified Powder (available at REI), applied faithfully each morning, in conjunction with non-waterproof shoes (better ventilation) and thin poly socks. I suffered no blisters on either the CF or CN. The BodyGlide I used had dimethacone in the formula. Supposedly it incorporates into the superficial skin and prevents friction between the epidermis and dermis, the reason blisters usually form. Recently they changed the formula but they still use a dimethacone type ingredient. I met many who successfully used Vaseline but it appeared too messy for me.

Taping is discussed extensively by John Vonhof in his excellent book "Fixing Your Feet." A web link to taping is here
http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK .... I have just returned from my 4th camino.
I have tried all the usual remedies - talc powder, vaseline, compeed, duct tape, to no avail.
On the 3 previous caminos I had blisters so badly that I needed hospital treatment [and had to give up one camino completely.]
This year I had NO BLISTERS :)
I used panty liners on both feet. Do not be embarrassed. If you don't know what they are, ask the lady in your life.
There has been much discussion about this on the forum, hasn't there Diogo?!?
So... I am delighted to be home with good feet.
I found the best way to put them on was to put the liner on the floor, sticky side up. Then carefully position your foot over the liner so that the ball of the big toe and the base of the toes was lined up along the edge of the liner. Then press your foot down onto it. Then carefully put on your walking socks.
You can use either the short or long panty liners: if you use the long ones, fold the ends over the top of your feet.
I sincerely hope this may be of help to some of you.
Buen camino [without blisters!] :D

I have tried all the usual remedies - talc powder, vaseline, compeed, duct tape, to no avail.
On the 3 previous caminos I had blisters so badly that I needed hospital treatment [and had to give up one camino completely.]
I used panty liners on both feet. Do not be embarrassed. If you don't know what they are, ask the lady in your life.
I found the best way to put them on was to put the liner on the floor, sticky side up. Then carefully position your foot over the liner so that the ball of the big toe and the base of the toes was lined up along the edge of the liner. Then press your foot down onto it. Then carefully put on your walking socks.
You can use either the short or long panty liners: if you use the long ones, fold the ends over the top of your feet.
I sincerely hope this may be of help to some of you. Stephan. Any chance you can Attach a photo?

Thank you.

Ed
Buen camino [without blisters!] :D[/Nope. Did not stop. I am at my bed everything is soaked. God is good. He gave me 3/4 of hike today dry weather. XxooQUOTE]

Mr. Walker, I think you get the message......everyone eventually stumbles on what works for them, but not necessarily for someone else. For me, I found out the hard way that it was important to keep my feet very dry, so I changed socks at least twice per day. Also used Glide for prevention. If I got a hot spot, I used compeed and let it stay on until it fell off. Sometimes, I added a strip of tape over the compeed to secure it. I tried everything that has been mentioned until I found what worked for me and I suspect that you will have to do the same.

I think the question is wrong. If you're already having hot spots before you start the Camino, get different boots. With all the walking w a pack on your back, your feet will probably spread so why start with too-tight boots?

My daughter and I are on the Camino now and we're having great, blister-free success with Injinji socks (poly toes socks) plus thick wool socks. The problem w taping your toes is when your toes swell, the tape is too tight. Injinjis (REI sells the) solve this and keep toes from rubbing.

Happy feet show on your face!

Don't know the proper medical term for them, but in Spain, in any farmacia, ask for "tubos elásticos." They worked great on our Camino.

Karl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Stephen:

Can you demonstrate application with a picture?

Mr. Walker, I think you get the message......everyone eventually stumbles on what works for them, but not necessarily for someone else. For me, I found out the hard way that it was important to keep my feet very dry, so I changed socks at least twice per day. Also used Glide for prevention. If I got a hot spot, I used compeed and let it stay on until it fell off. Sometimes, I added a strip of tape over the compeed to secure it. I tried everything that has been mentioned until I found what worked for me and I suspect that you will have to do the same.

I get the message. Everyone has their own remedy. If I was to follow every piece of kind advice I've been given I must also buy a new pair of shoes, size... 17, to fit all the dubble socks, tape, compeed and panty liners in them. :)

I think the question is wrong. If you're already having hot spots before you start the Camino, get different boots. With all the walking w a pack on your back, your feet will probably spread so why start with too-tight boots?

My daughter and I are on the Camino now and we're having great, blister-free success with Injinji socks (poly toes socks) plus thick wool socks. The problem w taping your toes is when your toes swell, the tape is too tight. Injinjis (REI sells the) solve this and keep toes from rubbing.

Happy feet show on your face!

You are probably right, I shouldn't have a hot spot already. To bad I can't afford new shoes. Worst case scenario, I'll bite the bullet and do my best to keep a happy face. :)

Last edited:
If you have worn your boots in and have a hot spot then maybe take your boots to a repairer and have them stretched slightly at the place where they rub.
Also if you can buy it a product called Sudocrem is good for rapid soothing and healing of sore places. It is sold in pharmacies at the baby section as it is mostly used to prevent or treat nappy rash. We take a mini pot (scooped out of the bought one) as it is good for any minor problem whether a hotspot or sunburn etc. Only use a tiny amount it goes a long way and being water repelling needs good soap and hot water to remove from clothes if you use too much. I use it on my heels and thumbs here (UK) in winter as they can crack so I know it works well.
For a hotspot I too would put an ordinary stocking plaster on while walking and remove it at night - although I have never had to do this on the Camino.
Happy feet makes happy pilgrims
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can have the right size boots and still have hot spots. Try the boot stretching. Try a lubricant to see if that is enough to eliminate the friction. Try Compeed or tape next. Tape that curls will create another hot spot. Check for seams in your socks that may be the problem. Try alternative lacing techniques that may create more space where the boot is rubbing. You can soften leather with a number of products if there is one place that is particularly rigid. Don't fill your boots with things that make them tighter! Lubricant uses no space. Compeed and surgical tape use very little space. Light liner socks use a bit more. Heavy socks even more. Insoles and panty liners even more than that.

You can have the right size boots and still have hot spots. Try the boot stretching. Try a lubricant to see if that is enough to eliminate the friction. Try Compeed or tape next. Tape that curls will create another hot spot. Check for seams in your socks that may be the problem. Try alternative lacing techniques that may create more space where the boot is rubbing. You can soften leather with a number of products if there is one place that is particularly rigid. Don't fill your boots with things that make them tighter! Lubricant uses no space. Compeed and surgical tape use very little space. Light liner socks use a bit more. Heavy socks even more. Insoles and panty liners even more than that.

Thank you for this comforting post! The budget is tighter than my shoes.

Last edited:
Another thought - check your socks. I found on practice walks that high tec socks/liners hate my feet, and I ended up with soles that felt burnt, which I then had to tape for days while they healed. I've gone back to using el cheapo socks as liners, and don't have any problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

We all have our different ways of dealing with blisters this would have to be the most out of the box way I have ever heard. I am going to keep this one in mind to try.
Michelle

Stephen, this is brilliant! I can see how it would work, the pad would absorb any sweat or moisture, as well as provide some padding.

I am in the Vaseline camp myself, after developing blisters on both heels whilst sightseeing in Paris ( pre Camino, very silly idea!!)....I used just Compeed at first, but this made them far worse & by the time they were ready to come off, the infected blisters were just too big to cover again....luckily a wonderful Irish walker, who was finishing the day I met him, gave me his tape & Vaseline & kind words of advice as to how to use...
This twice daily routine, plus the nightly application of tea tree & lavender oils worked a treat....
This time no blisters for me ( fingers crossed!!):)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been worried about blisters forming during those long hot days of walking and read a lot on how to avoid them.
I'm now going to trial a sock called ArmaSkin(armaskin.com). The manufacturer claims that no-one has ever gotten a blister using the ArmaSkin liner and if for some reason you do then you will be the first and they will give you a refund.
After reading your post, I checked out this ArmaSkin sock. It seems like the perfect alternative to taping your entire foot! So I ordered a pair and will be trying them out this summer before my trek on the Camino in September. Please let me know how they work for you. Ultreya!

After reading your post, I checked out this ArmaSkin sock. It seems like the perfect alternative to taping your entire foot! So I ordered a pair and will be trying them out this summer before my trek on the Camino in September. Please let me know how they work for you. Ultreya!
Perejil, Have you actually received your Armaskin socks yet?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hello JanetEllen and Perejil...

I came across your posts and thought I'd say hi. I work at ArmaSkin Anti-Blister Socks and was actually on the test and development team. I am glad you've decided to try our socks. I am confident they will deliver! Could I please ask you to contact us to let us know how it goes. We're really keen to add some testimonials to the armaskin.com site.

Also while I am here just a reminder read the instructions that were emailed to you after purchase. There is a left and right foot and you wear them underneath your normal socks. Also you need to roll them on rather than attempt to pull them on like a normal sock. A couple of people have had trouble working that out. I guess people figure that socks don't need instructions :) .. fair enough

Anyways thanks again and I hope to hear from you again!

Ben Wolf
"Save Your Skin"

I came across your posts and thought I'd say hi. I work at ArmaSkin Anti-Blister Socks and was actually on the test and development team. I am glad you've decided to try our socks. I am confident they will deliver! Could I please ask you to contact us to let us know how it goes. We're really keen to add some testimonials to the armaskin.com site.

Also while I am here just a reminder read the instructions that were emailed to you after purchase. There is a left and right foot and you wear them underneath your normal socks. Also you need to roll them on rather than attempt to pull them on like a normal sock. A couple of people have had trouble working that out. I guess people figure that socks don't need instructions :) .. fair enough

Anyways thanks again and I hope to hear from you again!

Ben Wolf
"Save Your Skin"
Ben,
Thank you for your post. The socks I have ordered are enroute to me and I can't wait to try them out. If they work, I will be sure to post it all over the forum and tell all my hiking friends about them. It will prevent a lot of taping and unnecessary blisters if they do. Kudos to you for figuring this out.
JanetEllen

Got mine yesterday and have made plans to use them this weekend on a 20km city walk.
My wife & son thought it hilarious that I watched a Utube video on your site, on how to put on the socks.

Ben Wolf
"Save Your Skin"

Thanks Ben,

I wonder if you could advise me on how many pairs of armaskin I'd need For a short 2 week and long 5 week Camino?

Can I put my tuppenceworth in in favour of Lanacane anti chafing gel. I used a tube of this on my recently finished camino and was really impressed. Incidentally then went on to Sudocreme which was also good but not AS good I felt.

Lanacane feels lovely to put on in the morning much nicer than Vaseline. The tubes are quite small though and more expensive than other options. Next time I'm taking two tubes!

In the UK it's available through Boots, Amazon etc though noticed just about everywhere was sold out at the moment so perhaps it's becoming quite popular with the walking fraternity.

Katy

I trialled the sock liners over the weekend for the first time, on a 4 hr walk through our local suburban walking trails. No hot spots and no blisters to speak of. I did however need to adjust them towards the end of the day, because they were pulling on my big toe, but I find that happens with some regular socks as well.
Walking in sock liners I felt an odd sensation in the Medial and Lateral Planters (think that's right) on the sole of my feet as I first started walking. I think that may have been the liner rubbing against the sock, which without that protection could over time form into something nastier.
All in all I'm happy enough to continue using them and include them as part of my regular walking kit, as I build up for the Camino.

I trialled the sock liners over the weekend for the first time, on a 4 hr walk through our local suburban walking trails. No hot spots and no blisters to speak of. I did however need to adjust them towards the end of the day, because they were pulling on my big toe, but I find that happens with some regular socks as well.
Walking in sock liners I felt an odd sensation in the Medial and Lateral Planters (think that's right) on the sole of my feet as I first started walking. I think that may have been the liner rubbing against the sock, which without that protection could over time form into something nastier.
All in all I'm happy enough to continue using them and include them as part of my regular walking kit, as I build up for the Camino.
I always wear liners but first before putting my socks on I cover my feet in baby powder. Never have a problem.

Hey all.. Just getting back to you on your posts. See below:

Thanks Ben,

I wonder if you could advise me on how many pairs of armaskin I'd need For a short 2 week and long 5 week Camino?

Good question. I only ordered one pair assuming that would be enough.
JanetEllen

A single pair should easily do for a week without washing. In fact they may be fine for longer however we haven't tested it. If you were able to give them a really good wash out with water and dry them off I would say you could use 3 pairs over 5 weeks.

If you are experiencing pulling on the toe you may need to read adjust them every now and then as you have discovered. I have experienced this myself but only after leaving them on for 24 hours or longer (sometimes I am situations where you have to sleep with your boots on). Most people get to take their socks off at night so it's not a common issue.

I always wear liners but first before putting my socks on I cover my feet in baby powder. Never have a problem.

Hi Michryan,

Just a note to yourself and everyone else on this. If you use ArmaSkin please don't add any other products such as baby power etc. Doing this may stop the inner coating from working correctly. Baby powder, in particular, would cause a problem with the moisture management properties of the lining.

Ben Wolf
ArmaSkin.com.au
"Save Your Skin"

Hey all.. Just getting back to you on your posts. See below:

A single pair should easily do for a week without washing. In fact they may be fine for longer however we haven't tested it. If you were able to give them a really good wash out with water and dry them off I would say you could use 3 pairs over 5 weeks.

If you are experiencing pulling on the toe you may need to read adjust them every now and then as you have discovered. I have experienced this myself but only after leaving them on for 24 hours or longer (sometimes I am situations where you have to sleep with your boots on). Most people get to take their socks off at night so it's not a common issue.

Hi Michryan,

Just a note to yourself and everyone else on this. If you use ArmaSkin please don't add any other products such as baby power etc. Doing this may stop the inner coating from working correctly. Baby powder, in particular, would cause a problem with the moisture management properties of the lining.

Ben Wolf
ArmaSkin.com.au
"Save Your Skin"
Thanks for that. Never heard of Armaskin till now.

Silly question...do Spanish farmacias carry vaseline? Can't find small enough container to please the airlines.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check the travel size section of any big chain drug store like Walgreens or CVS.

EDIT Target has a rack of travel sized stuff, too.

I use a non-woven tape as a preventative measure. I have a bunion that pushes my big and next toe together on one foot, and I tape between those toes to reduce the friction. This has worked successfully on three pilgimages.
Very helpful information, thanks Doug. As I increased my training distance with a pack, I'm discovering that I have the same problem. I might also try the toe socks someone mentioned.

Hey Dutch!! I used what I had on my trek pole. I always keep duct tape with me when I hike Loads of uses for it. I have nothing against sportstape.....

Not really.
I have used Compeed for years on hotspots to prevent blisters.
If it were me, I'd put the Compeed on now.

Not really.
I have used Compeed for years on hotspots to prevent blisters.
If it were me, I'd put the Compeed on now.
I do the same thing. In fact, the instant I sense a hot spot I stop, take shoe and sock off, let foot dry in sun if possible then add compeed. It cools and protects the hot spot. Stops it from getting worse. I learned all this on my first Camino in 2014 and have been applying it over my next 4 Caminos including the Norte.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Dutch!! I used what I had on my trek pole. I always keep duct tape with me when I hike Loads of uses for it. I have nothing against sportstape.....
I prefer compeed because it is cushiony and comfy, but I've used duct tape a couple of times on hot spots and it actually did work!

I'm not the worlds best planner and just recently bought me a pair of walking shoes. I have been wearing them at work all week and also taken them out for a few walks. They fit and feel perfect exempt for one spot on my right little toe. It is not a blister yet but I guess it's what they call a hot spot.
So, is this when I put on a campeed? Or should I slather my feet with vaseline, wait and see if it becomes a blister and then put on campeed? Or should I wrap my toe in duct tape right this moment?
My little toes are just crooked enough that I am careful to protect them. I put a dab of lamb's wool on a 1/2" KT tape and then tape each toe - with the lamb's wool on the side that could potentially rub my boot. I walked from SJPP and then to Santiago and had no blisters or hot spots. It is wise to get familiar with one's feet and do prevention planning!

The important thing is to figure out why you have a hot spot there. Is your sock bunching up in a sweaty, rubbing mass? Is your sock set too thin for the shoe/feet combo you have? Rub your foot with alcohol and put paper surgical tape on it in the morning. Remove (if it isn't sweated off!) in evening and give it all the fresh air you can.

I have size 9 that I can walk in with thin socks--Injinji liners, or maybe thin runners--and I have size 9.5 that I have to wear thick socks with. Walked the Norte in the 9.5 with thin socks, was feeling like the shoes were boats. (Or Nissan pickup trucks--those things sway all over the lane) If I had had the thick socks then, probably would have been fine. But wearing the thick ones with the 9 shoes produced toenail blister. In fairness, failing to tape the toe in question produced 1 toenail blister anyway. But it drained right away and with daily alcohol rubs, gauze wrap, and paper tape every morning things were okay.

HTH. Buen camino, peregrino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And if you walk in your botes with Compeed in warm weather the Compeed will cook off in the heat of the shoe long before your blister is healed.

I have only had blisters, bad blisters at that, on my first Camino. Basically I didn't have a clue how prevent them.
Been there, done that, sister! Learned to tie shoes with heel locks. Still learning about shoes, sox, and feet. Tried the little toe sleeves. For me, Injinji worked better. BUT everyone's feet are particular TO THEM. Now a fan of paper surgical tape, gauze, and using a lot of alcohol hand sanitizer on the feet. :)

Have you trimmed your big toenails really short? DH says that he loses an entire shoe size when I trim his toenails.

Rub your foot with alcohol and put paper surgical tape on it in the morning
My favorite tape to use for blister prevention is Omnifix. It's thin and a bit stretchy, so it conforms easily to the contours of your foot. I like the 4" wide. I cut a couple of pieces and place it across the balls of my feet (my hotspot zone) daily. It, and the similar Hypafix are readily available in farmacias in Spain.

There are a couple of different medical quality tapes that you might want to consider. The first is standard strapping tape. This has a relatively strong adhesive, but not so strong that it cannot be removed without causing damage to the skin. The other is a non-woven tape, like Micropore a 3M brand but there are others. The adhesive is less aggressive than that on strapping tapes, and it is relatively easy to remove.

If you are going to use tape, whatever the variety, it is important to remove the tape daily. I normally do this at night, and re-apply the tape the following morning. On the other hand, Compeed is designed to be left in place until the blister heals.

I use a non-woven tape as a preventative measure. I have a bunion that pushes my big and next toe together on one foot, and I tape between those toes to reduce the friction. This has worked successfully on three pilgimages. @annakappa described another preventative measure, and my wife swears by hikers wool (almost as much as she does at me at the end of a long walking day!).
We only now use the non-woven paper tape that dougfitz mentions as a preventative on any hot spots and have had no blisters on our last camino...only took a 1000 plus kms to find out what works for us!....this paper tape is available all pharmacies in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.