• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing a Del Norte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I am on the Norte now. October was fabulous weather, sunny but cool. Maybe I have been lucky! Albergues are open. Now, in Nov, the private albergues are mostly closed but the municipals are open. Pilgrim numbers have been very low. There are 7 in the Vilalba albergue tonight. Jill

I walked in April/May (admittedly, several years ago) as far as Oviedo, and found occasional other walkers on the road, and at night or cafes enroute occasional walkers and bikers. Some of the albergues were closed (open only in July/August), but other lodging was always plentiful. I almost didn't get a bed at the youth hostal in Zarautz because they had some youth program going on and I had arrived a day early, but they made room for me. The only time I recall a full albergue was Comillas (and no one was turned away, just every bed was full), at Ziortza there was just me and one other in a room for 10. There seemed to be plenty of tourists in the tourist areas, but not horribly crowded. It was too cold for there to be sunbathers on the beaches when I walked across them. I admit also that I didn't always try to stay in albergues. I met one American on this route when I walked, maybe Spaniards and Germans the most plentiful and in equal numbers, the others from France, central Europe. Don't know if any of that helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked end of September into midlle of October and temps were hitting 30 degrees and more daily. All albergues were open, but sometimes they did fill up in late afternoon into early evening: Castro Urdiales, Guernika come to mind. But you can book ahead in quite a few of them. If you end your day at a typical pilgeim time, in my experience, you should be ok.

I would not hesitate to walk during that same period again.

Hi walked this year from mid August to mid September. I start in Santander. a Couple of Albergues filled up mid afternoon but I never had any problem. I like the heat and it was pretty hot by 11am everyday. But take water, make sure have a snack with you while walking and wear sunscreen everyday. u had an amazing time.

I walked the Norte this year from mid-September to late October. The weather was warm the first few days and then became quite pleasant for the remainder of the walk. There were few pilgrims on the trail--some days I wouldn't see any all day until I reached my destination. I was with two other women and we stayed in a combination of pensiones, apartments and albergues. Most albergues planned to stay open through November with only a few closing earlier. We were only turned away once from an albergue but the proprietor arranged very nice overnight accommodations for us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great he hear the temps are so nice and warm, I will be starting the Norte on Sept 6/7 in 2017, flight booked already . Was worried about lack of albergues but info here looks good. I preference to stay at places with a kitchen so we can cook our own meals but when I look at a list of albergues it seems that most don't have a kitchen.
Any info would be great . Only doing the first 1/2 of Norte and will return later to complete

I walked this year, last week in April from Irun. There were many pilgrims keeping pace with me. Probably groups of between 6 - 15 most evenings. It was always possible to walk alone if wished but good to have company at the end of the day. Most pilgrims in my 'wave' peeled off on the primitivo. At the beginning of my Camino there were a couple of occasions when albergues had not opened yet for the season, but they were due to open from 1 May.

Great he hear the temps are so nice and warm, I will be starting the Norte on Sept 6/7 in 2017, flight booked already . Was worried about lack of albergues but info here looks good. I preference to stay at places with a kitchen so we can cook our own meals but when I look at a list of albergues it seems that most don't have a kitchen.
Any info would be great . Only doing the first 1/2 of Norte and will return later to complete

How many in your group? There were three of us and in a few cases the cost of renting a one bedroom apartment for one night was about the same, or perhaps a few eros more, than staying in an albergue. That allowed us to cook some of our own meals. Most the one bedroom apartments had a sleep sofa and two twin beds

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning my next journey to be the Del Norte, probably 2018. My previous caminos have started the last week of August thinking most locals are wrapping up their annual vacations, or in early Sept and stretched into October. I usually stick to albergues except for rest/exploration days in interesting places that need more than a typical pilgrim stop-over. I can see on-line what the weather vagaries are for various months but I'm wondering about local, tourist and camino numbers along this route. Would a April-May/June time be overly busy, is April May too early or is Mid Sept-late October too late? Would appreciate your comments, thanks.
Frank
We started in Santander , August 1st, finished 21st this year, and it was crazy busy. Whole towns fully booked, people busing ahead to try and find a place to sleep. Definitely would avoid August on that part of the trail if you can (festivals on each weekend, moving slowly along the coast westward, these were the really busy points, if you can avoid the festivals it helps). It got better for us when we gave up the 'winging it' idea, and started booking a few days in advance, but even then in some places the Albergues were totally booked. Many do take bookings, we were surprised. Even if your guide book/app says they don't, its worth calling the private places to try and book.
September sounds like a lovely time to go! And despite the accommodation issues we really loved it, great scenery and bakeries!

I'm planning my next journey to be the Del Norte, probably 2018. My previous caminos have started the last week of August thinking most locals are wrapping up their annual vacations, or in early Sept and stretched into October. I usually stick to albergues except for rest/exploration days in interesting places that need more than a typical pilgrim stop-over. I can see on-line what the weather vagaries are for various months but I'm wondering about local, tourist and camino numbers along this route. Would a April-May/June time be overly busy, is April May too early or is Mid Sept-late October too late? Would appreciate your comments, thanks.
Frank
Hello Frank
I've walked the Del Norte the past two years from mid Sept to end of September. Some rain but nothing terrible. The temperatures with only one day approaching Bilboa when it was a bit too hot for me. I love the autumn with moderate temps and fewer people. One gets a chance to talk to more people as well as the hospetelaros. Buen camino - yes I'll probably return September of '17.

Frank

Frank:

I walked April 1-29 in 2014. The weather was perfect and there were always other Pilgrims on the route. I never had problems with accommodation. About half the people I met peeled off in Oviedo. This is a great route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.