• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

timing and route to E-bike from Sarria to Santiago in October 2022

clevpt

Time of past OR future Camino
I have read the post on biking and walking, and my question is if I am using e bikes in October from Sarria to Santiago (because my husband does not like to walk) and I want to do this last leg with him, I understand we need to use the road, but how do I calculate how many miles or kilometers I need to ride to arrive at the next hotel. I would like to do do in 2 or 3 days. Is that realistic? what would be a good way to stop on the way in terms of towns ?

thanks in advance

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest that you use https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances to plan your general route however Sarria to Santiago is easily achievable in one day on an Ebike so you might like to consider where you might like to spend some time.

www.google.com/maps/dir/Sarria,+Spain/Santiago+de+Compostela,+Spain/@42.9103477,-8.2586005,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0xd3048097fbf82ad:0x9004c74b09000a64!2m2!1d-7.4140766!2d42.7808389!1m5!1m1!1s0xd2efe44e2dd71a7:0xe0146888c087e311!2m2!1d-8.5441729!2d42.8768606!3e1ooglemaps offers various possible routes

As @Tincatinker indicates, Gronze will give you an idea about stages. But the key issue will be what is the range on the ebike. They have different battery sizes but usually 500w. Also how you ride them will significantly affect the range too. Wouldn't push more than 35 miles with a 500w battery on that section as there are hills to climb.

It would be ironic, if the ebike ran out of juice and you both ended up walking - and pushing a heavy bike.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can you really use ebikes? Back in 2014 there was an uproar when an Irish company proposed using ATVs and Electric Carts on the Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can use an Ebike - there will be no thunderbolts, but you cannot receive a Compostela
Haha, there should be thunderbolts for riding an ebike on the Camino, especially if under 70. But the question is about riding stages;

• Probably doable in one day by a strong rider; top up battery during lunch stop.
  • Quite rideable in two days with a stopover at palas de rei or melide.
  • Comfortable / easy in three days stopping wherever takes ya fancy.
And with an ebike accommodation can be found off the Camino "highway" but in October it won't be busy so this shouldn't be an issue.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can use an Ebike - there will be no thunderbolts, but you cannot receive a Compostela

I thought the ruling was that certain types of E-bikes qualify for the Compostella. I seem to remember that if an E-bike required pedaling, it qualified for Compostella. If you can move forward on an E-bike on level ground without pedaling, then it does not qualify.

-Paul

I thought the ruling was that certain types of E-bikes qualify for the Compostella. I seem to remember that if an E-bike required pedaling, it qualified for Compostella. If you can move forward on an E-bike on level ground without pedaling, then it does not qualify.

-Paul
I believe that is correct. @t2andreo has written about this. However, in this case, the distance will not be long enough to qualify for a Compostela, which has to be 200 km by bike.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe that is correct. @t2andreo has written about this. However, in this case, the distance will not be long enough to qualify for a Compostela, which has to be 200 km by bike.
Here is a recent post about qualifying for a Compostela on an ebike.

There are two issues here. Both only apply IF you want to qualify for a Compostela.

1. Anyone riding a bicycle into Santiago from a Camino route MUST cycle the FINAL 200 kilometers on that recognized route, into Santiago. For example, this generally means starting at Ponferrada on the Camino Frances or Camino Invierno, or at Porto on the Camino Portuguese. Cycling from Sarria, Tui or Ferrol, would not be enough to qualify.

2. If anyone uses an electric assist bicycle for a Camino, it must be incapable of being ridden without pedaling. In other words, only Category I electric bikes - without throttles - qualify. The test is simple:

- If you MUST pedal for any electric assist to apply, and if you stop pedaling there is NO ELECTRIC ASSIST, this bicycle will qualify you for a Compostela, assuming you met the distance requirement.

- On the other hand, if the bicycle is capable of being ridden SOLELY ON ELECTRIC POWER, without pedaling at all, this bicycle does NOT QUALIFY you for a Compostela.

This said, the security guards are supposed to inform arriving bicycle pilgrims of this fact. However, I am unaware if the rule is being applied.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back