• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing from Madrid airport (Barajas) to Atocha station

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I arrive at Terminal 4s at 13:45 pm (12 April).
I am wondering about the quickest way to ensure that I get to Atocha station to catch my 15:30 train to Pamplona.
Would it be quicker to grab a taxi or take the connecting train?
Many thanks for any shared wisdom.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Taxi will be your most secure method. The train leaves from terminal T-4 on the hour and half-hour, so if you just miss one, it will take about 45 minutes to get from the airport to Atocha plus the time to get from 4-S.

Agree with Falcon. I would have an eye on the clock. When you get to the exit of T4, you can then decide whether it makes sense to go down to the Cercanías station a floor below and hop on the train, or to go outside and catch a cab. When you see the Cercanías sign, you are about a three minute walk down to the station and there is likely to be an attendant there to help you purchase your ticket. The only potential problem with the cab option is that the vagaries of Madrid traffic are hard to predict. You would be getting a cab in the "lunch rush hour", which isn't as bad as the "dinner rush hour", but still could create some traffic jams. The schedules vary a bit hour by hour, though the most frequent departure times are now 27 and 57 minutes after the hour. The trains are very punctual, so being on time for a train on the hour may mean you miss the train by three minutes. I've attached a screenshot of the current schedule, so you may want to have in mind the precise times likely to be available when you arrive. Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-04-06 09.15.35.png
    Screenshot 2016-04-06 09.15.35.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 19
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Shared wisdom ... there is no way you will make it from flight arrival to train departure in the time specified.

Si yo fuera tu ... plan to take a later train.

Here is information for your time appreciation:

Getting around in Madrid

The airport in Madrid is called Barajas (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are located in one building. T4 and T4S are connected by an Automatic People Mover train. There is a shuttle service that connects all terminals.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Connections to Madrid include Metro, EMT bus, and light rail transit Cercanias.

The Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes. Take Metro line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

Cercanias has a station at T4 and trains run every 30 minutes. Take the Cercanias train from T4 direct to Puerta de Atocha.

EMT Madrid operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha with two stops enroute.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanias (operated by Renfe). Cercanias trains go direct to Chamartin station and Puerta de Atocha station.
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid Airport Express - Airport to Puerta de Atocha
http://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto

Puerta de Atocha Renfe Station Madrid
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

Thank you everyone. It will be a challenging start to my Camino I see. I booked the train after advice from the person collecting me in Pamplona suggested the train to catch knowing my plane arrival time. Qué será será!

A bit surprising that your friend from Pamplona didn't suggest the intercity bus to Pamplona leaving directly from the Airport Terminal 4 at 15:15, which would save you the stress on arrival or probably a rather high taxi fare from the airport to Atocha... The ALSA bus service directly from the terminal 4 can be quite convenient at times.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Arthur, I had just come to that conclusion myself. Looks like a lot less stress, apart from the vagaries of the Alsa website. I've not had success in the past booking with Alsa from Australia so would welcome any tips people have found through experience. :)

True, Alsa still does not like foreign debit or credit cards. I also had to use Paypal to buy a ticket from San Sebastian to Burgos a couple of weeks ago.
But it is good to know both options - in case your flight arrives late (and I hope it won't) you can just walk down to the Alsa terminal on T4, buy the ticket from the ticket machine and get on the bus. The price is 31 euro to Pamplona.
I wish you Buen Camino, Jeny! Bring a baby kangaroo with you :)

Thanks Arthur, I had just come to that conclusion myself. Looks like a lot less stress, apart from the vagaries of the Alsa website. I've not had success in the past booking with Alsa from Australia so would welcome any tips people have found through experience. :)

ALSA buses to Pamplona leave from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Some, but not all, buses make a stop at airport T4.

Intercambiador de Avenida de America is reached by EMT Madrid bus #200 which picks up at several locations at the airport.

This becomes important if your timings don't match with the airport departure.

There are frequent departures ... so reservations in advance are probably not needed unless you are traveling on a statutory holiday. Buy the ticket at the terminal.

Usually there is a transfer at Soria or Zaragosa.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Whariwharangi, you are a fountain of wisdom :).
Ok Arthur, will just pop up the mountain in my back yard and collect one. Will have to bring the mother as well 'cos they live in pouches till they are quite large
I live in Canberra, so can walk 6 kms into the city centre or up to the top of a 880m mountain (with lots of kangaroos) in half an hour, both from my front door.
Love coming home!
Thank goodness for Paypal I say!!

I am wondering about the quickest way to ensure that I get to Atocha station to catch my 15:30 train to Pamplona.
You are leaving yourself a very very small window to get to the Atocha Station. Do you already have a train ticket? Maybe the ALSA bus to Pamplona would be best. I will arrive in Madrid at 0900 and will take bus 203 to the Atocha Train Station. It leaves terminal 2 every 15 minuets and take a hour, longer during rush hours to get there. I have reservations for the 1505 train. Lots of time to get there. I'm thinking a cab would be your best bet but very expensive. Good luck. Buen Camino

Thanks Urban Trekker I think that research has convinced me that the bus is the way to go. I bought the train ticket in good faith that it would be ok, but buying a bus ticket will be less stressful than the taxi potentially stuck in traffic and probably cheaper than the taxi fare :)
ps love your signature block!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone. It will be a challenging start to my Camino I see. I booked the train after advice from the person collecting me in Pamplona suggested the train to catch knowing my plane arrival time. Qué será será!
I'm in a similar situation arriving on 30APR, curious if you were able to make the train??? Thanks!

Bus from the airport is best and I have both reserved from home and bought on site. Good luck.

Hi RChristian
My plane was 25 minutes late in (2:10 instead of 1:45) and luggage took ages. I only needed my poles as I had carried on my backpack. My poles were in first dozen items off and I only made the bus at T4 with 10 mins to spare so would not have made the train in any way.
Buen suerte a tu.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi RChristian
My plane was 25 minutes late in (2:10 instead of 1:45) and luggage took ages. I only needed my poles as I had carried on my backpack. My poles were in first dozen items off and I only made the bus at T4 with 10 mins to spare so would not have made the train in any way.
Buen suerte a tu.
Buen Camino
That's pretty much what I expected, figure I'll plan for the worst and anticipate taking the bus. By the by... did you purchase your ticket ahead of time, or at T4? Gracias por tu ayuda, y Buen Camino!

Jenyata53, how did the timing workout? I have the same questions and similar timeframes as you...wondering if the two leeway is sufficient? This assumes all goes well. Is it possible to get off your plan and get the train station given all parameters?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jenyata53, how did the timing workout? I have the same questions and similar timeframes as you...wondering if the two leeway is sufficient? This assumes all goes well. Is it possible to get off your plan and get the train station given all parameters?

Sorry for delayed reply Gemajams. The time seemed just a bit too tight
I decided to catch the Alsa bus to Pamplona instead. It was great!! No problems at all.

Sorry for delayed reply Gemajams. The time seemed just a bit too tight
I decided to catch the Alsa bus to Pamplona instead. It was great!! No problems at all.
Thanks Jenyat53, i already purchased do i'll give it my best otherwise I'll consider it a donation to Renfe.

Excellent perspective Gemajams. That's exactly how I saw it!! The Spanish economy can do with any support we can offer I suspect ! Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Best day ever!!! My journey has begun from JFK, New York to Madrid, arriving 9/4/17

Best day ever!!! My journey has begun from JFK, New York to Madrid, arriving 9/4/17
Wow, you are off them! Good luck in Madrid and all inter-connecting points. Have a buen camino, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back