• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing of pilgrimage

Michael Garver

Time of past OR future Camino
Future- I am preparing
Is the first Camino done in mid April to May reasonable for weather and trekking conditions - what is the climate like? I am hoping to get to the halfway point around May 3 .
Comments
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
April/May will be normally warm, but not too hot, rain being always a possibility and perfectly feasible to do. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks! I will be leaving from Montana and it will be nice to escape the wind and cold! There is so much preparation and the commeradere alone on this site is amazing! Thanks in advance to all experienced peregrinos for advice and inspiration :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Is the first Camino done in mid April to May reasonable for weather and trekking conditions - what is the climate like? I am hoping to get to the halfway point around May 3 . Comments. Thank you
You never know what weather you will have, but that period is probably your best bet! You still need to go prepared for the full range of weather from freezing to hot, almost certain rain, and a good possibility for mud. This means taking several light layers plus rain gear.

There are lots of sources of climate data on the internet. Can't find the one I used right now, but you can find one you like and use it.

What I did was I figured out the cities in Spain that my Camino was going to go through and printed out a page on temperatures, days with measurable precipitation, amount of monthly rainfall, and wind for each major city.

For example the following tells you a lot about about weather in Pamplona. http://www.worldweatheronline.com/pamplona-weather-averages/navarra/es.aspx
Use this or other sources for as many cities as you can find along your route.

Then I trained and packed gear accordingly. When I say that I mean that I trained in a number of days with rainfall to see how I and my gear worked in typical temperature and rain conditions. I got a few surprises as to some gear working well and other gear needing to be replaced or upgraded.

Next I figured out how many "weather flex-days" I wanted. I figured out how many "rest-days" I wanted. Then I figured out how many "tourist-days" I wanted.

Is the first Camino done in mid April to May reasonable for weather and trekking conditions - what is the climate like? I am hoping to get to the halfway point around May 3 .
Comments
Thank you
The time you are talking is exactly when we went. We picked it because I would rather have cooler temperatures than hot conditions, and I can tolerate the rain. That is exactly what we got this spring, and I would probably do it at the same time of year again. Every year is different of course, but we saw fairly average weather, a little cooler than the normals. Typical temperature early were 40's in the morning, and 60's in the middle of the day. It got warmer as we got closer of course. Make sure that you are comfortable in temperatures down close to the freezing mark for a few hours, because you are likely to see this on the high roads during the early weeks. A long sleeved merino, my fleece, and a wind/rain shell did the trick just fine. Try out your rain gear before you go, because you will get rained on. If you're lucky, it might be five days. If unlucky, it might be 20! We had ten rainy days, but only two (out of 35) where it rained more or less all day. For us, we used a poncho and gaitors, and it was no problem at all.....if not exactly delightful. All that said, for every day that was cool or rainy, we had two that were pleasant, sunny, and warm. And nobody can predict your weather a year in advance. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me, as C clearly mentions, mud is the inherent worry - as far as the rest goes, there's no need to prepare for everything - instead look at the 15 day forecast just before you leave and only prepare for the most likely weather conditions

The time you are talking is exactly when we went. We picked it because I would rather have cooler temperatures than hot conditions, and I can tolerate the rain. That is exactly what we got this spring, and I would probably do it at the same time of year again. Every year is different of course, but we saw fairly average weather, a little cooler than the normals. Typical temperature early were 40's in the morning, and 60's in the middle of the day. It got warmer as we got closer of course. Make sure that you are comfortable in temperatures down close to the freezing mark for a few hours, because you are likely to see this on the high roads during the early weeks. A long sleeved merino, my fleece, and a wind/rain shell did the trick just fine. Try out your rain gear before you go, because you will get rained on. If you're lucky, it might be five days. If unlucky, it might be 20! We had ten rainy days, but only two (out of 35) where it rained more or less all day. For us, we used a poncho and gaitors, and it was no problem at all.....if not exactly delightful. All that said, for every day that was cool or rainy, we had two that were pleasant, sunny, and warm. And nobody can predict your weather a year in advance. Buen Camino!

Rick,

Thanks for the advice! The temperature is not an issue coming from the wind and cold of Montana. I will have to prepare for the rain- I hope to be somewhere on the Camino on May 3rd to celebrate my 59th birthday.
All my best and thanks again
Michael

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back