• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing to get from Madrid to Roncesvalles?

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Hi all -- boy I'm really having a hard time deciding where to start from (I have a total of 12 days to spend in Spain). My original thought was Pamplona because as much as I am dying to walk over the Pyrenees I don't think my knees will let me. BUT, I'm arriving in Spain midday on July 8 - right smack in the middle of the Running of the Bulls. So my second choice is to start from Roncesvalles, but can I actually GET there by the evening if I land in Madrid at 13:00? What's the most efficient way of getting there? And even then, being the slow walker that I am, I'd still end up in Pamplona on the 11th or 12th which is still during the big festival so accommodation is tricky. If I start in SJDPP, and take the route via Valcarlos (to save my knees?) maybe I would get to Pamplona after the festival is over? Does anyone have suggestions for places to start AFTER Pamplona? So you can see how befuddled I am over this. :( Sorry for the long note. . . any advice is greatly appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would suggest you start in Leon. There are several train and bus options from Madrid airport.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Twelve days total? Yeah, ditto. Ponferrada would be a good starting point.

My suggestion: Start in Ponferrada and walk to Santiago ;-)
Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there bus service between Leon and Ponferrada? I assume I'll have to take a day getting from Madrid to my start point.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is there bus service to Astorga from Leon? I assume there is. . . and rather than filling up this site with questions - I should be looking up the bus schedule. DUH!

Thanks for your help and ideas everyone. It is much appreciated! I think I'm starting to get the pre-Camino jitters that folks talk about. It's all good, but I guess this where MY Camino starts, right? With letting go of the "need" to plan out and control the experience. I'm going to book my plane to Madrid today. And my bus or train to Leon today. And then I'm going to LET GO! Really. . . . . I think. . . . maybe. . . [gulp]

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What about Zariquiegui? 11.3k from Pamploma. Puts you at foot of climb to Alto del Perdon so you can start up afresh in the morning. There are 45 euro trains from Madrid Atocha at 15:30 (arrives 19:22) and at 17:30 (arrives 21:38). Alsa buses from T4 of Barajas leave at 15:15 (arrives 20:15) 32 euros. A taxi from Pamploma would not be expensive. Alternatively if you start at Roncesvalles you could always get a taxi through Pamploma if you really want to avoid it or even walk into Pamploma and taxi out after having a quick peek. The walk into and out are not the best of the Camino anyway.

Is there bus service between Leon and Ponferrada?

Yes, there is. And there's also train service.
BTW, there's also bus and train service from Madrid to Ponferrada.

Is there bus service to Astorga from Leon?

BTW, there's also bus and train service from Madrid to Astorga.

For buses, take a look at the web of Alsa (http://www.alsa.es/en) and for trains at the web of RENFE (http://www.renfe.com)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
BTW, there's also bus and train service from Madrid to Ponferrada.

BTW, there's also bus and train service from Madrid to Astorga.

For buses, take a look at the web of Alsa (http://www.alsa.es/en) and for trains at the web of RENFE (http://www.renfe.com)

Thanks for the info. I would prefer the train. . . . and I've spent some time perusing train schedules and cannot seem to find train service from Madrid to Ponferrada. Is that because connections need to be made in Leon or some other waypoint? Any ideas about that? Is it necessary for me to book the ticket now or can I just purchase when I get to Madrid? [I'm trying to practice not planning EVERYTHING ahead of time. . . .!]

I really appreciate your time and thoughts -- thanks!

Thanks for the info. I would prefer the train. . . . and I've spent some time perusing train schedules and cannot seem to find train service from Madrid to Ponferrada. Is that because connections need to be made in Leon or some other waypoint? Any ideas about that? Is it necessary for me to book the ticket now or can I just purchase when I get to Madrid? [I'm trying to practice not planning EVERYTHING ahead of time. . . .!]

I really appreciate your time and thoughts -- thanks!
I know you said you prefer the train, but you might find the bus to be more convenient. You can catch the bus from terminal one at the airport and purchase your ticket there upon arrival ( you can also purchase on line). The bus may be direct or have a simple change at the bus station or an intermediate town. They are very comfortable. The train requires you to travel to the Chamartin train station and doesn't run as often. On my last trip I saved two hours and avoided the cost/hassle of getting to the train station. Just a suggestion...

I know you said you prefer the train, but you might find the bus to be more convenient. You can catch the bus from terminal one at the airport and purchase your ticket there upon arrival ( you can also purchase on line). The bus may be direct or have a simple change at the bus station or an intermediate town. They are very comfortable. The train requires you to travel to the Chamartin train station and doesn't run as often. On my last trip I saved two hours and avoided the cost/hassle of getting to the train station. Just a suggestion...

That is outstanding advice. Thank you! Do you think it's important to purchase the bus ticket ahead of time (do buses fill up in early July?). I arrive in Madrid around noon and would like to get to Ponferrada that evening if possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is outstanding advice. Thank you! Do you think it's important to purchase the bus ticket ahead of time (do buses fill up in early July?). I arrive in Madrid around noon and would like to get to Ponferrada that evening if possible.
If you have a confirmed flight then go ahead and purchase on line ( just plan time to go through customs). It is easier and less stressful to purchase in advance. I needed to wait to buy mine because I had a transfer in Germany and wasn't sure which terminal I would be arriving in and the bus I wanted to take was close to my arrival time. It all worked out and I had ten minutes to spare:). Go to any information counter when you arrive and they will let you know where to get your bus. You should also do a search. There are lots of instructions on where/how to catch the bus on this site. Just remember to check the name of the bus company. There are two different companies, ALSA and AVANZA. Glad I could help.
Laura

I've spent some time perusing train schedules and cannot seem to find train service from Madrid to Ponferrada. Is that because connections need to be made in Leon or some other waypoint?

There are some direct trains from Madrid to Ponferrada and schedules are easy to find on the web of RENFE... once they are published. You are traveling on July and that's after the mid-june train change of schedules so you'll probably have to wait till May (maybe even early June) to know the schedule for your July travel date (tip: most likely it'll be the same schedule than any day of this week). Otherwise, it's easy to find it because both Madrid and Ponferrada are on the main list of stations so you just have to select them from the drop down menu on the schedules area of the web of RENFE. To look for schedules for Astorga would be a bit more complicated because Astorga isn't on the main list of stations...

You can catch the bus from terminal one at the airport

I think it departs from Terminal 4... but, anyway, you could verify the departure terminal of the bus when consulting the schedule on the web of Alsa.

There are some direct trains from Madrid to Ponferrada and schedules are easy to find on the web of RENFE... once they are published. You are traveling on July and that's after the mid-june train change of schedules so you'll probably have to wait till May (maybe even early June) to know the schedule for your July travel date (tip: most likely it'll be the same schedule than any day of this week). Otherwise, it's easy to find it because both Madrid and Ponferrada are on the main list of stations so you just have to select them from the drop down menu on the schedules area of the web of RENFE. To look for schedules for Astorga would be a bit more complicated because Astorga isn't on the main list of stations...

I think it departs from Terminal 4... but, anyway, you could verify the departure terminal of the bus when consulting the schedule on the web of Alsa.

Thank you so much LauraK. I'm booked (on the bus) from Madrid to Ponferrada and my accommodation is booked for the first night so I'm good to go! Now I just have to wait 5 months for my adventure to begin :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
my accommodation is booked for the first night
If you are still open to considering accommodation in Ponferrada, I can recommend:
http://hostalrioselmo.com/tarifas/

It is on the Camino after crossing the river on the departure route (saves twenty minutes the next morning). It is very close to the newer commercial district with lots of bars and restaurants. It is only a bit further from the castle than the major albergue (which I do not recommend). It is a short walk from the bus station; you would pass it walking from the bus station to "downtown" Ponferrada, at least the old downtown.

Buen camino.

Alea is a new albergue (opened 2014) run by two very energetic women, Esperanza and Amelia. it is on the way into town and they do a wonderful paella for their communal dinner. Sorry referring to Ponferrada following Falcon's lead.

Last edited:
Alea is a new albergue (opened 2014) run by two very energetic women, Esperanza and Amelia. it is on the way into town and they do a wonderful paella for their communal dinner. Sorry referring to Ponferrada following Falcon's lead.
Ditto. That is a nice albergue and possibly the cleanest one I have stayed in on two Camino Frances.
Also, if Don is there at the same time, he'll spring for a bottle of wine. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are still open to considering accommodation in Ponferrada, I can recommend:
http://hostalrioselmo.com/tarifas/

It is on the Camino after crossing the river on the departure route (saves twenty minutes the next morning). It is very close to the newer commercial district with lots of bars and restaurants. It is only a bit further from the castle than the major albergue (which I do not recommend). It is a short walk from the bus station; you would pass it walking from the bus station to "downtown" Ponferrada, at least the old downtown.

Buen camino.
Thanks :) This looks like a great idea. . . I might just change my plans. For now I'm booked at the Aroi Bierzo Hotel in the old town, but it's kind of expensive. . . .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back