• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Timing

DAK

Time of past OR future Camino
May(2019)
Flying into Madrid landing at 9:40 and planning to take the train to Leon where I will begin my journey. Am wondering how much time will be needed to get through MAD and get to Chamartin train station? I want to buy the ticket for Leon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Baggage is a little slow in MAD, so give yourself a little time. The passport control was not bad,but I think there were no other international flights at the time I got there. I had to wait for the ticketing for the Cercanias to open (10:00, as I recall), as my code for the free ticket (it’s free when you buy your ticket to León) was not read by the ticket machine.
The trains to Chamartin run frequently ~every half hour, and it’s an 11 minute ride. You can then get on a fast train to León, and be there in a couple of hours. The one I’m thinking of left at about 2:30 or so. There are also the regular, slower local trains. I was in León by supper time (for me), which was a little difficult, since most eating establishments are closed until 1900 or 2000, 7 or 8 pm. If you’re jet lagged it may be hard to wait up for dinner.
Buy your ticket for León online at the Renfe site (It’s simple, and there is an English option, if you need it) as soon as you can. You’ll get a good price that way, and a seat.
I’ve done this three or four times, and it works well for me.
Good luck, and buen Camino.
Paul

I had to eat a non-refundable fare when an hour was not enough. Since then, I just buy the ticket when I get to the Renfe ticket office at the airport. It is next to the shuttle train to Chamartin, so they will know the lowest fare for the next train, and it may be less than what you pay online now.

Baggage is a little slow in MAD, so give yourself a little time. The passport control was not bad,but I think there were no other international flights at the time I got there. I had to wait for the ticketing for the Cercanias to open (10:00, as I recall), as my code for the free ticket (it’s free when you buy your ticket to León) was not read by the ticket machine.
The trains to Chamartin run frequently ~every half hour, and it’s an 11 minute ride. You can then get on a fast train to León, and be there in a couple of hours. The one I’m thinking of left at about 2:30 or so. There are also the regular, slower local trains. I was in León by supper time (for me), which was a little difficult, since most eating establishments are closed until 1900 or 2000, 7 or 8 pm. If you’re jet lagged it may be hard to wait up for dinner.
Buy your ticket for León online at the Renfe site (It’s simple, and there is an English option, if you need it) as soon as you can. You’ll get a good price that way, and a seat.
I’ve done this three or four times, and it works well for me.
Good luck, and buen Camino.
Paul

I did the same last fall. If you buy your ticket in advance you take the shuttle train from the airport to the station for free. Come out of baggage claim, turn right and follow the signs.

One caveat, check schedules in case your plane is late. My flight was 4 hours delayed leaving the US, 3 hours late arriving in Spain. It happens. Fortunately I had a very long layover in Madrid, so I arrived at Chamartin with an hour still to spare.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all. I was looking at the train from the airport. I will not have any checked baggage. That’s why I was trying to figure out how long it would take me to leave that airport. I appreciate all your input.

I give another vote for the Alsa Bus that departs from the airport. I took the Alsa to Burgos in my CF and it worked perfectly. It was awesome not to have to commute even more before getting there :)

Please, Anamya, how long does it take for the bus from Madrid airport to get to Burgos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is the trip to Leon just a little longer?
Do you have to book tickets ahead (Alsa) or can you buy them on the day?

Is the trip to Leon just a little longer?
Do you have to book tickets ahead (Alsa) or can you buy them on the day?

It is about 3.5 to 4 hours. It also depends on the time of day, as there seem to be more frequent stops at some times than others. When my son Caleb was meeting me in Leon in October, he caught the Alsa out of Madrid airport at around 9 pm and arrived at the Leon bus terminal around 2:30 am.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've taken the ALSA bus from the airport and the train from Chamartin and Atocha. Both are good options, although the ALSA bus is more convinient because it leaves from the airport, so one less step in the process. Taking the Cercanias train to either Charmartin or Atocha is easy though.

For the ALSA bus, when I have taken it from the airport, I have just bought a ticket for the next departing bus - I haven't bought tickets ahead of time and it was fine. There's a cafe just across from the ticket counter where you can sip coffee and have a snack while waiting for the bus.

Thank you for such a comprehensive and informative reply. It is great to have options. As a lone traveller I appreciate all of the help of the wonderful pilgrims here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A related question. So I bought a train ticket from Atocha to Pamplona online. How exactly do I get on the free shuttle feom MAD? Do I enter the "CombinadoCercanias" code in the machine and it prints me a ticket?

A related question. So I bought a train ticket from Atocha to Pamplona online. How exactly do I get on the free shuttle feom MAD? Do I enter the "CombinadoCercanias" code in the machine and it prints me a ticket?
I've just gone to the information booth at the station and they printed the ticket for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back