Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tineo-Melide on 23rd September

TG874

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2007, 2009 Norte 2013, Inglés 2014, Fisterra 2009, Muxia 2013, Primitivo 2016 & 2018
I'm starting to walk from Tineo to Melide in just over a week, firstly is the Primitivo well waymarked, I can't find any information about this? Also I wonder what the ground is like at the moment - has there been any rain, is it muddy or is it still dry after the summer? What is the prospect of fine weather, I will of course take all the rain gear with me as I am sure that it will rain at some point!
I'm really excited and a bit nervous embarking on this part of the route - I missed the Hospitales route a couple of years ago having had to give up due to ill health in Tineo, also I am two years older but I try and keep as fit as possible - is it really as strenuous as people tell me?? I have looked at the elevations and it doesn't seem that bad, maybe it's the terrain? Grateful for any info and advice!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello @TG874 I walked in 2016. I am 64 now.
The road is very well waymarked generally.
I did the hospitales route and really it is not that strenuous compared to many other sections of many other caminos. The issue is more that there are no bars along the way! Take food and water and take it easy and enjoy. You may find it more comfortable to walk with a few others. I would guess there will still be plenty of people around in September.
It is a wonderful route.
Obviously I cannot tell you about the physical conditions right now.
Buen Camino
Tim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm starting to walk from Tineo to Melide in just over a week, firstly is the Primitivo well waymarked, I can't find any information about this? Also I wonder what the ground is like at the moment - has there been any rain, is it muddy or is it still dry after the summer? What is the prospect of fine weather, I will of course take all the rain gear with me as I am sure that it will rain at some point!
I'm really excited and a bit nervous embarking on this part of the route - I missed the Hospitales route a couple of years ago having had to give up due to ill health in Tineo, also I am two years older but I try and keep as fit as possible - is it really as strenuous as people tell me?? I have looked at the elevations and it doesn't seem that bad, maybe it's the terrain? Grateful for any info and advice!
Hola!

Re weather:
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminoprimitivo/index.htm
Re the way:
https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/54/camino-primitivo/
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

Otherwise use Search function on this forum or browse the internet. You will be flooded by info.

Buen Camino!

Totally agree with @timr that the Primitivo has for a long time been painted with a broad brush of "very hard." That is just not my experience. There is elevation gain, but it is rarely strenuously steep. But maybe we should keep that reputation in tact to keep others away. ;)

I believe I saw some recent post about mud, but surely it will not be as bad as it was this spring. In Galicia, the Xunta has put crushed rock (hormigon) on virtually every step of the Primitivo that is not asphalt (the only exception I can remember is the timber forest after O Cadavo). It may be unpleasant but it won't be muddy!

Marking is great. I had a GPS with me the last time I walked it because I had come from the Ruta del Ebro/Castellano Aragones/San Olav and there was a lot of really bad and absent marking. But I didn't even bother to download Primitivo tracks because I remembered it had been so well marked in earlier years. So I wouldn't worry one bit about the arrows, they are everywhere. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello @TG874 I walked in 2016. I am 64 now.
The road is very well waymarked generally.
I did the hospitales route and really it is not that strenuous compared to many other sections of many other caminos. The issue is more that there are no bars along the way! Take food and water and take it easy and enjoy. You may find it more comfortable to walk with a few others. I would guess there will still be plenty of people around in September.
It is a wonderful route.
Obviously I cannot tell you about the physical conditions right now.
Buen Camino
Tim
Thank you Tim, that's really helpful ..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not there but in my opinion the most likely is some light rain and that mud won´t be a problem.
Enjoy.
>< MUD I hope you are right!

Totally agree with @timr that the Primitivo has for a long time been painted with a broad brush of "very hard." That is just not my experience. There is elevation gain, but it is rarely strenuously steep. But maybe we should keep that reputation in tact to keep others away. ;)

I believe I saw some recent post about mud, but surely it will not be as bad as it was this spring. In Galicia, the Xunta has put crushed rock (hormigon) on virtually every step of the Primitivo that is not asphalt (the only exception I can remember is the timber forest after O Cadavo). It may be unpleasant but it won't be muddy!

Marking is great. I had a GPS with me the last time I walked it because I had come from the Ruta del Ebro/Castellano Aragones/San Olav and there was a lot of really bad and absent marking. But I didn't even bother to download Primitivo tracks because I remembered it had been so well marked in earlier years. So I wouldn't worry one bit about the arrows, they are everywhere. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks, that's a great relief!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It has been very dry last month here in Ferreira on the Primitivo. Only one night of thunder and a lot of rain. So no mud to discover yet. At this moment there is quit some rain expected next week saturday the 22th. But still don't expext much mud on this part, quit some kms are on tarmac or good other roads.
On the Primitivo, the part after Lugo is much different then the part from Oviedo. It is quit flat with some small hills only.
Take your time and just enjoy what is coming! :cool:

Thank you very much for your reply, it has been dry everywhere even here in the UK! I start walking on the 23rd and will take what comes and enjoy it anyway!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back