• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TIP super cheap train fares Madrid to Pamplona for June 16

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
I just booked my Renfe train ride for June 10th 2016 from Madrid to Pamplona. Last year I paid around $70 for this and booked with "goeuro" . I just booked a ticket for $30 through "goeuro" !!!!!!! Cheapest ticket on "raileurope" is $78. To be fair my ticket is "promotional" fare so limited changes. I have 2 hrs to get from the airport to the Atocha station. Last year it took us less then 1 hr . (shuttle to terminal 4 included) so I'll risk it. (ps there were later trains for the same are but I don't want to arrive in Pamplona too late at night)

Not sure if this is for other dates too but worth looking into it :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just booked my Renfe train ride for June 10th 2016 from Madrid to Pamplona. Last year I paid around $70 for this and booked with "goeuro" . I just booked a ticket for $30 through "goeuro" !!!!!!!
Thank you SO much for posting this (and about goeuro) had not heard of them. I just booked my train ticket for May 16th and it was $27.50!! It was very easy to book....
I have 3.5 hours to get to the train station so that will leave me plenty of time (even with any delays unless they are significant delays)
And I will arrive in Pamplona late afternoon! :)

Thank you SO much for posting this (and about goeuro) had not heard of them. I just booked my train ticket for May 16th and it was $27.50!! It was very easy to book....
I have 3.5 hours to get to the train station so that will leave me plenty of time (even with any delays unless they are significant delays)
Great ! I used them last year too and it was easy. 3 to 5 hours is plenty. It's an easy and fairly short commute (30 min or so) from the airport to the train station. Take the bus shuttle to terminal 4 and then look for the metro trains. If I recall you can buy tickets for the metro right there. If you're really early at the station , just walk out the station and there are several sidewalk cafe's to sit nearby. We did that last year. Have a great Camino :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just booked my Renfe train ride for June 10th 2016 from Madrid to Pamplona. Last year I paid around $70 for this and booked with "goeuro" . I just booked a ticket for $30 through "goeuro" !!!!!!! Cheapest ticket on "raileurope" is $78. To be fair my ticket is "promotional" fare so limited changes. I have 2 hrs to get from the airport to the Atocha station. Last year it took us less then 1 hr . (shuttle to terminal 4 included) so I'll risk it. (ps there were later trains for the same are but I don't want to arrive in Pamplona too late at night)

Actually, if you go to the Renfe web site itself, you will see that they have very low fares as promotional rates if you book several weeks in advance. I paid €23 last year in mid May, and I see now that there is even a lower fare of €17.65 for some of the runs. These fares are, however, non-refundable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are fortunate enough to navigate through Renfe direct, it will likely be the cheapest. They wouldn't accept a Canadian credit card last year (may be okay now), so I booked with Rail Europe and paid 3X the price.

I will be a couple of days ahead of you. arriving orison may 16th!

If you are fortunate enough to navigate through Renfe direct, it will likely be the cheapest. They wouldn't accept a Canadian credit card last year (may be okay now), so I booked with Rail Europe and paid 3X the price.
I agree that was my similar experience, although booking as far in advance as the computers allowed did result in a cheaper fare. From memory I thought the max advance purchase was 60 days (but that was through Renfe. Not sure if us outside of Europe can use those other services. But thanks any way. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure if us outside of Europe can use those other services. But thanks any way. Cheers
Yes you can book through " GoEuro" outside of Europe. I'm in the USA and have done it twice now.

When I booked last year (2015) from the U.S. they wouldn't take a credit card either but did accept PayPal.

Barcelona to pamplona on april 27, three adults: 96 euro with goeuro, 86 euro on renfe site...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Barcelona to pamplona on april 27, three adults: 96 euro with goeuro, 86 euro on renfe site...
I think it depends on when you book and when you travel. I have found Renfe had the cheapest rates overall with Rail Europe being the most expensive because it is an agency (booking for Renfe). Hadn't known about Go Euro, but wonder is the another i.d. for Rail Europe? Could be confusing if it is. Personally I loved that I could work in some train travel for my Camino.

Great ! I used them last year too and it was easy. 3 to 5 hours is plenty. It's an easy and fairly short commute (30 min or so) from the airport to the train station. Take the bus shuttle to terminal 4 and then look for the metro trains. If I recall you can buy tickets for the metro right there. If you're really early at the station , just walk out the station and there are several sidewalk cafe's to sit nearby. We did that last year. Have a great Camino :)
cafes at the train station at the airport or at atocha station?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it depends on when you book and when you travel. I have found Renfe had the cheapest rates overall with Rail Europe being the most expensive because it is an agency (booking for Renfe). Hadn't known about Go Euro, but wonder is the another i.d. for Rail Europe? Could be confusing if it is. Personally I loved that I could work in some train travel for my Camino.
Goeuro is a different company then Rail Europe. I agree with you Rail Europe seems to be more expensive then others. Reason why I preferred GoEuro over Renfe is that from the USA their booking website seems to work easier. But yes It's all a matter of looking both up and compare prices.

cafes at the train station at the airport or at atocha station?

See the airport and station websites for maps indicating cafe locations. In my experience the Madrid airport food is expensive and not very good. There isn't much available outside of the secure departure area either.

AENA Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

adif Puera de Atocha
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back