• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tipping on the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you get bill for 8,50 euros then leave a 10. For God's sake how can any one be so.....
The tipping customs in different places are different. The Europeans have a service charge included in your restaurant tab. Also, where in the US the expected average tips are often part of the minimum wage computation, I think in European countries it's different and the tips aren't actually expected unless an unusual circumstance applies.

If you want to support the business, instead of treating them like a charity case which is demeaning, spend more on the stuff you're buying. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think in European countries it's different and the tips aren't actually expected unless an unusual circumstance applies.
I don't know where you got this idea, tips are much appreciated in Spain, I'm just back and go there regularly and I can tell you that the staff are very happy to be tipped and I don't think it's treating them as a charity case, its showing appreciation for good service.

Tipping is always an interesting topic, and the approach to it varies around the world.

The US seems to stand out though, in that tipping is 'expected', and as I understand it, forms part of the regular income of the staff. Due to low wages I'm told.

Elsewhere, in my experience at least, it is regarded as a 'thank you' for good service, not an obligation on the part of the customer.

Do I tip? Usually, Yes. At least by rounding up, or adding a bit extra. Or quite a bit extra for great service. Though for poor service I feel no compulsion.

I grew up (in a EU country) being told that usually you tip ~10% if the service is good. If it is really good, you can give more. If service is bad, less. If it was exceptionally bad, none. Usually the rule is to at least round up.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The tipping customs in different places are different. The Europeans have a service charge included in your restaurant tab. Also, where in the US the expected average tips are often part of the minimum wage computation, I think in European countries it's different and the tips aren't actually expected unless an unusual circumstance applies.

If you want to support the business, instead of treating them like a charity case which is demeaning, spend more on the stuff you're buying. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Thank you. I have probably given a "tip" less than ten times in my life, excepting of course, those times when it is automatically added to the bill as a type of "tax".

In my customary culture it is insulting to "tip" and for most of my life I was embarrassed to do so. These days very little embarrasses me but I still don't like to "tip".

I will, however, gladly give praise and show appreciation for great service and hospitality.

I have noticed a few restaurants in Spain where you are asked if you want to add a tip to a CC bill. A few years ago, this would have been unthinkable.

Of course wait-staff are very happy to receive tips, but I know a lot of Spaniards who are not at all happy about the spreading of the tip culture throughout Spain. In the US, we tip because the hourly wages are so low and come with no benefits. In Spain, it’s been explained to me, wait-staff earn a real wage and have benefits. Some of my friends worry that the more the tipping culture takes hold, the easier it will be for employers to move their employees onto non-contract jobs. So not everyone who is against tipping is a cheapskate curmudgeon.

(But it can be a bit uncomfortable to be taken out to dinner by a visiting Spanish friend in the US — I have had to run back on the pretense that I left something on the table to slip some cash to the poor waitress.)

But it can be a bit uncomfortable to be taken out to dinner by a visiting Spanish friend in the US — I have had to run back on the pretense that I left something on the table to slip some cash to the poor waitress.)
In Spain I was treating some Spanish friends to dinner, the bill arrived, I paid it, and set out about a 10-15% tip, then excused myself to the ladies room. The meal hadn't been particularly good, but that was no fault of the waiter (his performance wasn't stellar either, but...). When I returned to the table one of my Spanish friends handed me the money that I was leaving for a tip, and said that NO tip should be left because of the quality of the food. I think that I did sneak back and leave a smaller tip.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to be clear, tipping is not automatic, I tip when the service is good, if it's not then I don't.
We have been round the houses many times here on this subject and the result is always pretty much the same, those who tip and those who give reasons why you shouldn't.
To the OP: if you feel like tipping then do, if you don't then don't. Getting a clear answer to your question here will always be confusing but that's the beauty of a forum.

Ah the tipping discussion. Been on both sides of if for most of my adult life as a server as well as a guest.
Decades ago it was a profession to be a waiter in Europe, tips were scarce. Things are changing and a somewhat American habit starts to creep in. I always tip, but more out of habit than gratitude?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there tipping on the Camino? I will be doing the Camino Frances in April.
Hi there. I live in Andalucia, 100 km north west of Seville. The culture here is to leave only small tips. It can be difficult to suss out but generally if you are in a family-run place then the tendency is NOT to tip. If you assume that the waiter/waitress is just an employee (probably minimum wage) and the service has been good then tip as generously as you feel that they deserve.

Is there tipping on the Camino? I will be doing the Camino Frances in April.
I had the same question when i did my first camino so i asked various Spanish people along the way if it is customary. Most folks told me it is not necessary but appreciated. So i tipped, about the same amount someone earlier mentioned (leave 10 for a 8.50 bill) and it always felt like a good thing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you get bill for 8,50 euros then leave a 10. For God's sake how can any one be so.....
There can be a reluctance to disturb local practice, and end up disadvantaging a local population which does not practise tipping. I prefer to be generous in such matters, but here I would be thoughtful-- I follow my Spanish friends' advice to do what I feel like and follow my inclination at the time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Marbe2 and @Kathy F. both make useful points, sort of related to the OP. I always leave a euro for the camerera, usually with a scrap of paper saying Gracias. As well, when visiting a bar to use the WC, I normally order a coffee but, when I don't I put a 50c coin on the counter when I ask where the aseos might be-- almost always, they push it back to me, but I want the establishment to know that I am aware that toilets, cleaning, etc, cost money, and that I am not trying to take thoughtless advantage.

As well, I have had tips returned to me, but never in larger cities or towns, and only occasionally. My Australian friends understand, but my US friends live in a tipping culture, and find this astonishing. Everywhere is different. A Spanish friend told me that a smile and a thank-you is the most important thing (but a shilling or too is rarely unwelcome).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had the same question when i did my first camino so i asked various Spanish people along the way if it is customary. Most folks told me it is not necessary but appreciated. So i tipped, about the same amount someone earlier mentioned (leave 10 for a 8.50 bill) and it always felt like a good thing.
Thank you for your honesty.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.