Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Tipping

Book your Bus ticket here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbandias

SueB
Past OR future Camino
Future
I have not travelled to Spain before but eagerly looking forward to undertaking the Camino later this year - just one question … is tipping for service ( meals, accommodation, transporting luggage etc) expected and how much would be reasonable
?

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Vanozza

Past OR future Camino
I have walked part of the Camino Frances one and a half times. I ended in Sahagun in April 2019.
I have not travelled to Spain before but eagerly looking forward to undertaking the Camino later this year - just one question … is tipping for service ( meals, accommodation, transporting luggage etc) expected and how much would be reasonable
?
It’s not usually expected but we always tip generously. The Spanish people have been hurt badly by the epidemic. Help them to recover by tipping generously. It’s MUCH appreciated.

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Past OR future Camino
It’s not usually expected but we always tip generously. The Spanish people have been hurt badly by the epidemic. Help them to recover by tipping generously. It’s MUCH appreciated.

I appreciate the spirit and generosity of this post. My personal preference is to observe the social norm of not tipping, but to donate as I can to charitable causes..

Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
?

The extra change for your meal or the coffee /pastry will always be welcomed!
That is what I always have done and will keep doing in Spain , and in my own country Belgium ( same social security system ).

For instance in Spain when a meal would be 14 € I will give 15 €.
Cortado and a pastry , total of 3.50 € = 5 €.

Of course taking into consideration price differences and pricesettings.
Yesterday I went to my local pub with a friend and it was my treat : 8.50 € and I gave 10 € so 1.5 € tipping.

So even if workcircumstances in Spain ( Europe ) or not the same as in the USA I still have to find the first waiter here who would not welcome a tip. If not given in a condescending and patronising manner it will always be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances