• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Albergues??

Nightowl84

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008
Hi all,

I'm finishing off the Camino this week starting from Fromista, can't wait (keep looking back through rose tinted glasses)

So, i don't have any guide book and I was hoping if any of you have any recommendations on particular albergues you'd like to share, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You'll be able to pick up a Red de Albergues pamphlet in most albergues which lists all places with albergue.

If you are staying in Carion de los Condes, the private albergue in the Monastery of Santa Clara is comfortable. Small rooms - 6euro.

And, if you are aiming for Terradilos you could go 3km further and drop in on Rebekah in Moratinos.

I loved the old, chunky albergue in Bercianos. Amor made us all watch the sun setting behind the albergue before we were allowed to have dinner.

The Amigos del Peregrino albergue in Mansilla was friendly and we were able to cook our own dinner in the kitchen.

The monastery in Leon is large, cramped and noisy but the nuns are kind and you will have cafe, pan and a blessing before you leave in the morning.

If you stop in el Ganso, there is a small new albergue with a delightful kitchen and a hospitalero who makes you herb tea when you arrive.

I loved our stay with Tomas at Manjarin but if you prefer, you could stay at Gaucelmo (CSJ albergue) in Rabanal.

Also enjoy staying at Ave Fenix with Jesus Jato and his family at Villafranca.

Ruitelan has a good reputation with many peregrinos raving about it.

Triacastela has a number of new albergues - one as you walk into town.

I can't rave about any of the albergues in Galicia - they seemed not to have the magic of the shelters in other regions.

The Seminario Menor in Santiago is now taking reservations over the Internet. Just fill out the online form, Name, address, etc. Precios por persona y día (iva incluido ): 9,50euro http://www.albergueseminariomenor.com/reservas.php

Wow,

Thanks Sil for taking the time out to share you're views on the albergues.

It's always great to have a bit of insider info on where to stay, will mark off your recommendations on my photocopied page from the St Jean office!

Thanks again, Buen Camino :arrow:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Nightowl,
I'll throw in my 2 centimos in here as well.

I second going to Reb in Moratinos!

About 6 km before Leon in Vilarente is a wonderful family run private albergue de San Anton. It is new (within the last couple of years) and the owner will happily tell you which buildings were the cowhouse, the milking parlor, etc, in days gone by! Dinner and breakfast are available and it has a lovely grassy courtyard. Very pleasant.

I like the paroquial albergue in Hospital de Orbigo - but there is another, private one just down the street, San Miguel which is much smaller, recently rennovated and quite nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed the parroquial albergue in El Acebo which had the best sunset! The volunteer hospitaleros made paella for the group - probably not always, it was just what they liked to do during their weeks there! But it was a fantastic communal meal!

And I like the German albergue at La Faba. It has a great kitchen where you can cook and the tiny store has everything you need. The wine is great for 2-3 Euro a bottle!

ANd I stayed at the Seminario Menor in Santiago - which is now being run by a hotel chain... and paid 12€ per night in August, 2008

Buen Camino,

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back