• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Booking a Boat on the Route of Stone and Water?

Jstevo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014; Le Puy 2016; Pilg Way 2019; Haervejn 2022
Looking for advice about how to book a place on a boat from Villanova de Arousa to Padron, and whether it’s necessary to book well in advance? Grateful for any other advice about the route. We are 5 Aussie pilgrims here in late June. With thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I booked online the night before, but there were outlets near the departure point that you might use as well. They were still taking bookings in the morning of departure. The hospitalera where I stayed the previous night was helping some people make a booking. Nice, but I got a bit judgemental about why the individuals concerned weren't able to look after their own bookings. There seemed to be a little 'learned helplessness' happening here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Route of Stone and Water is the name for a walkable path that runs for several kilometers from Armenteira on the way toward Villanova de Arousa along the spiritual variant (Armenteira to Villanova de Arousa is about 24 kms). Your question is about the “Via Crucis” part of the variante Spiritual that can be taken by boat from Villanova de Arousa to Pontecesures.
You can make a reservation on the large boat (which was 20 euros in April 2023, looked like at least 30 spaces) or the smaller boats run by a company called Amare, which seat about 10-12 and were 30 euros in April. https://www.amareturismonautico.com...io-ruta-xacobea-en-barco-variante-espiritual/
Those prices could change. The boats leave at high tide, so departure times change. You can check sailing time on your planned date by entering the date on the big boat’s website. https://app.mruta.com/la-barca-del-peregrino/reservation/departs?service=1126 I took the smaller boat (a week ago) and loved it. A local guide explained the history of the crosses (we saw 11 of the 14 crosses), the local mussel farming, a bit about wildlife in the marshes, history of the ruins built to repel Vikings and, of course, the story of st. James’ connection to the river.

You can make a reservation on the large boat (which was 20 euros in April 2023, looked like at least 30 spaces) or the smaller boats run by a company called Amare, which seat about 10-12 and were 30 euros in April.
@sarahchicago well spotted that the boat journey is different to the route of stone and water.

On prices, I took the boat a couple of weeks ago, and the cheapest was 25 euro, and 35 euro for the other boat. I had heard there was a third boat operating at some point, but it didn't seem to be operating on the day I was there.

On prices, I took the boat a couple of weeks ago, and the cheapest was 25 euro, and 35 euro for the other boat. I had heard there was a third boat operating at some point, but it didn't seem to be operating on the day I was there.

@dougfitz oh, interesting on the prices. I got quoted 20 euros for the big boat and 30 euros for the small boat but I made the reservation for myself and two other pilgrims who were staying in the albergue. Maybe we were given a group discount or maybe it is because the albergue host recommended this company and let the company know another group of 3 pilgrims wanted a reservation and gave the company my name. We paid 30 euros each for spaces on one of the two Amare smaller open boats that launched that day, Monday, April 24. I paid a 40 euro deposit on the Amare website after talking to Amare via WhatsApp (I don’t remember if we spoke Spanish or English- probably a mix). She (Christina) sent me a link to the reservation and payment form on their website, then we paid cash at boatside for the remaining 50 euros. Christina was also our guide, providing all the info in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took a small boat from Amare, it was an open boat. It was about three weeks ago. The boat left at 8 o'clock and it was freezing cold, the sun was still not visible and the boat was really fast. Perhaps now the conditions are better, otherwise I would have opted for a later boat (there was one at 2 o'clock) or for a place in the coverd boat of "peregrino de la barca"

We also booked with Amare via whatsapp and were directed to their booking site to pay 50% deposit (also group of 5, 4 Aussies (well at least living in Oz!) and a Kiwi) easy conversation in english. €30 each.

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back