• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for couple of youngters doing the camino Frances in March/April

MrHarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March-April 2020
Hello!

As the title says I'm asking for tips and tricks of people who started there camino Frances in mid March. Anyone have any great ideas what to pack and not? Both of us decided to take a tent with us even tho it's not the high season of the camino but still just to keep it safe if we can't find a place to sleep and also to cut the expenses a bit (don't really want to spend more then 10eu a night to have a place to sleep 😁).
Anyways this is going to be an experience to remember! And thank you in advance for the tips!

Harry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
10E a night each or total? Plenty of sub-10E per person places, but check out Gronze.com to see what will be open that early in the season. Camping isn’t easy or really condoned, but others certainly have done it.

10E a night each or total? Plenty of sub-10E per person places, but check out Gronze.com to see what will be open that early in the season. Camping isn’t easy or really condoned, but others certainly have done it.
Yeah 10eu for each of us. Already checked the website you mentioned, but also will use this one: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ to find places to stay ;)
Checked the weather so I think a tent is necessary, can't camp without one outside the night temperature will be 7-8 degrees.
Anyways thank you for the replay!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Harry, stick "camping" into the search facility on here and find some helpful stuff but also some warnings. No fires, no cooking stoves, no lights for 11 hours of night.... You might want to consider whether you really want to carry that extra weight or just walk a little further to the next inexpensive bed, warm shower and often even a kitchen you can use. Most of the Municipal and other public (not privately owned for profit) Albergues will fit your budget. Some might even be warmer than outside night temperatures ;)

Couple of things to consider. First, you're not walking on public land for the most part and you won't have permission to camp on someone's private land. This is not to say it hasn't happened but that doesn't change the reality. Second, March and April can be pretty wet months, especially when you get close to Galicia in April. Tenting in the rain can be a drag because you will be packing a wet tent into your pack with no way to dry it out for the next night. Next nice bit is that after walking all day in the rain and either getting soaked from the outside by rain or sweat from the inside, you won't have a nice hot shower to clean up with. You also won't have anywhere to dry your clothes for the next day so wet clothes after a day or two will fill your backpack. By day three I think you'll be over camping on the Camino :) Not all Albergues will be open in March but by April most will be open. Municipals will run < 10 euros and not so hard to plan for and come with a roof, somewhere to shower, dry your clothes, often cook a meal and usually good companionship or at least the makings a great stories about people snoring on the Camino. Enjoy your Camino, it's a great experience!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Harry, stick "camping" into the search facility on here and find some helpful stuff but also some warnings. No fires, no cooking stoves, no lights for 11 hours of night.... You might want to consider whether you really want to carry that extra weight or just walk a little further to the next inexpensive bed, warm shower and often even a kitchen you can use. Most of the Municipal and other public (not privately owned for profit) Albergues will fit your budget. Some might even be warmer than outside night temperatures ;)
Couple of things to consider. First, you're not walking on public land for the most part and you won't have permission to camp on someone's private land. This is not to say it hasn't happened but that doesn't change the reality. Second, March and April can be pretty wet months, especially when you get close to Galicia in April. Tenting in the rain can be a drag because you will be packing a wet tent into your pack with no way to dry it out for the next night. Next nice bit is that after walking all day in the rain and either getting soaked from the outside by rain or sweat from the inside, you won't have a nice hot shower to clean up with. You also won't have anywhere to dry your clothes for the next day so wet clothes after a day or two will fill your backpack. By day three I think you'll be over camping on the Camino :) Not all Albergues will be open in March but by April most will be open. Municipals will run < 10 euros and not so hard to plan for and come with a roof, somewhere to shower, dry your clothes, often cook a meal and usually good companionship or at least the makings a great stories about people snoring on the Camino. Enjoy your Camino, it's a great experience!
Awesome replays! well the tent is just for cutting expenses. I'm not bothered walking 30km+ a day to find a cheap place to sleep and meet awesome people on the way and listen to those stories 😁😁

Yep, I've taken a tent and it definitely was not worth it. Plus you can't use it at all in La Rioja, unless you have previously notified the authorities together with your intended stopping place each night. To do otherwise is against the law.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @Harry420 I am another one who would recommend against the tent. As has been advised camping (free camping) in Spain is just about "verboten"(forebidden). It is possible you will find a friendly farmer who allows to camp next to his barn, but that assumes you have a reasonable command of Spanish. Mar/ April is not only a wet weather season on the higher slopes you can and probably should expect snow and or sleet. So come prepared with good quality wet weather gear. Buen Camino.

Hello!

As the title says I'm asking for tips and tricks of people who started there camino Frances in mid March. Anyone have any great ideas what to pack and not? Both of us decided to take a tent with us even tho it's not the high season of the camino but still just to keep it safe if we can't find a place to sleep and also to cut the expenses a bit (don't really want to spend more then 10eu a night to have a place to sleep 😁).
Anyways this is going to be an experience to remember! And thank you in advance for the tips!

Harry.
please reconsider the tent.
pitching one in the wrong place could lead to a hefty fine or a fall out with a local (not always easy to figure out what is public and private land); as well as, camping on the Camino, if not at designated places, is not ideal considering the potential number of pilgrim-campers and the mess we will make, no matter how careful we try to be.
10 euros a night is more than enough for a roof over your heads, a bed, a shower and a toilet, and even cooking facilities.

We met a Dutch kid in 2017 who walked with another young lady who has a pet donkey. They would actually politely ask private land owners if they could camp in their properties with their donkey. Sometimes they would stay in donativos albergues where we met him. We would chip-in a little bit more to cover him for our donativo. So it was doable but hard.

€46,-
Hello!

Harry.

Having carried a tent and camped on the Camino, my advice is to leave the tents at home.
First of all, in March and April, I don't believe lodging will be an issue,
Second, it's going to RAIN - and a tent will be crazy uncomfortable to carry.
In my opinion, Gronze is a better website, giving many more options.
I've just planned my March/April VDLP using it, and it was awesome.

Hello!

Harry.
I have attached the Albergue list so that you can figure out the costs. As for March, April and May, expect cold and rain. There are various thoughts on how much to pack: the rule of thumb is no more than 10% of your body weight, but I tell people that if you have more than 17 lbs, start figuring our what you can eliminate. The excess weight always affects your body. Harry

Attachments

• ALBERGUES 1.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • ALBERGUES 2.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of the reasons I walk the Camino once or twice a year is so I don't have to take a tent. Enjoy the specialness of the Camino and the camaraderie with other pilgrims at albergues.
Save the tent for true backpacking. Although the Camino pilgrims carry a backpack (because a pilgrim does carry his load as a symbol of the sacrifice he makes) other similarities between a backpacker and a Pilgrim end there. You don't have to carry food, you can take a shower everyday and anything you need is within a few miles to the next village.
And take your time on the Camino. My first Camino I walked it like I would the Pacific Crest trail with 18 to 20 mile days and I regret that because I feel I missed what's special about the Camino. So I have come back and walked it in the more traditional stages and I find that much more appealing and enjoyable because you are making friends that you see maybe just to say hello at the bar in the evening but it's part of the Camino experience that I really like.
In summary, lodging on the Camino is the cheapest you'll find anywhere so there's really no reason to carry a tent. Municipal or donatative places can be as little as 5 euros and you can even find private rooms for 30 Euros or less. And like someone else said there are no official camping spots and the people I've met with tents either camp at an albergue anyway or had to stop early put up their tent in a hidden area and then walk back into town.
And don't be taken in by campgrounds listed at some of the towns, those are expensive because they are meant for people requiring electrical hookups. Have a great Camino.
P.S. The Camino always has a backup plan. Our first Camino we mailed our tent to Iver after two weeks of not using it.

Hello!

Harry.
Starting March 26th myself. First timer as well. Hope to see you out there Pilgrim.
Buen Camino!

I have attached the Albergue list so that you can figure out the costs. As for March, April and May, expect cold and rain. There are various thoughts on how much to pack: the rule of thumb is no more than 10% of your body weight, but I tell people that if you have more than 17 lbs, start figuring our what you can eliminate. The excess weight always affects your body. Harry

Hello mate! thanks for the tips, but I'm still leaning towards having a tent ( a really light one that is ez to pack and carry)
thanks for the list of the places to stay, don't speak Spanish but isn't it from 2011?
I was going to use this one http://www.szentjakabut.hu/upload/f...JC98x4QeGuLW_Iz350m7-vMXFwf35BeQZmSEk0O1xLFNg

Best wishes, Harry

Easter is in April so you may need to book a couple of days in advance around that time. There may be a sudden surge in pilgrims for a week or two. Just watch the calendar as you get closer to Easter. If you are going to be in a city Easter weekend you may need to book something or arrive early to get into the municipal albergue.

Hello mate! thanks for the tips, but I'm still leaning towards having a tent ( a really light one that is ez to pack and carry)

I'm surprised having received the valuable advice you've had that your still leaning towards taking a tent. Experience is something you get just after needing it. I've thought about carrying one in past and once you experience the camaraderie of the municipal albergues, warmth of a comfortable bed and hot shower with facilities to cook a good home comfort meal for the princely sum of 5-10 euro it might be less appealing to sleep under the stars. There's two circumstances I would trade these comforts, one in holy year might carry as backup and two, if I wanted to have privacy with my other half but then she would advise me to get a room 🤠

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Harry, did you see this video ? It is long video of a guy who walked the Frances, without staying in albergues, and only camping. Maybe it is usefull for you:

Last edited:
By end of March will there be at least one reasonable albergue per etapa- camino frances? I have seen a few comments about not everything being open and I am starting to become concerned!

Hello!

Harry.
Hi Harry
I’ve carried a tent on the GR65 from le Puy and also on the Francigena to Rome. I don’t use it all the time but the sense of freedom to walk into the night and just see what happens is great.
Everyone finds their own way of being a pilgrim don’t let others put you off doing it your own way. My tent helps to balance the guitar I carry on the other side of my 11kg backpack. I’m very slow but start early so I get to meet everyone!
Buen Caminoe

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Harry
I’ve carried a tent on the GR65 from le Puy and also on the Francigena to Rome. I don’t use it all the time but the sense of freedom to walk into the night and just see what happens is great.
Everyone finds their own way of being a pilgrim don’t let others put you off doing it your own way. My tent helps to balance the guitar I carry on the other side of my 11kg backpack. I’m very slow but start early so I get to meet everyone!
Buen Caminoe
Forgot to say I’m starting from St Jean on the 17th April stopping at Orrison
Lindsay

By end of March will there be at least one reasonable albergue per etapa- camino frances? I have seen a few comments about not everything being open and I am starting to become concerned!
Short answer, yes. There is plenty of accommodation along the Camino Frances. Most will open in anticipation of or for Holy Week. Choice may be limited in late March but you will find a bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will play the heavy here and say bring the tent and camp where and when you can. Not unusual to see pilgrims doing that, and I know there are some great lightweight, packable tents available these days. I have also observed pilgrims staying in tents on the grounds of the albergues after obtaining permission. As already mentioned to you, no campfires etc and of course leave no trace, but I am sure you already take that philosophy.
You are young and sounds like you are fit. Hauling that little bit of extra weight should not be a problem.
One thing about having a tent, or merely just a ground pad with appropriate sleep system on the Camino is that it removes the stress so many pilgrims put upon themselves worrying about finding a bed at an albergue. Not having that worry is liberating, and worrying about it is actually counterproductive to embracing the Camino experience IMO.
Save you some money, too. Let's say out of 30 days you camp 15. Let's average the albergue cost to 6 euros. You have saved 90 euros on your trip. Ninety euros you can now spend on food and cold refreshments.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There will be a couple of long stretches where you will find one but perhaps not two or three. I can only remember twice arriving into a planned stop to find the 'open all year' Albergue closed. In one case I picked up a cheap Casa Rural and the other I walked another 4kms and found a gem in Ages. If you are flexible you shouldn't have any challenges in March you can't work around. Enjoy!

Hello!

Harry.
There are alot of us who have walked alot of caminos giving you good advice. I agree to leave the tent at home. I walked in November and December of 2019 and never had a problem finding a bed, I also walk on a budget. I try to stay in Donativos and Municipal albergues as much as possible. You can also save lots of money by shopping at night for lunch and snacks the next day. You will quickly start to meet people and you can save even more money and have great dinners by having your own communal dinners with other pilgrims in albergues. There was a group of about 12 people who would meet many nights in the municipal albergue because we were all on budgets, or in some cases just chose to walk simple caminos. There were some great cooks from Italy, France and Spain. Our ages ranged from early twenties to late 60's. I do not think I was ever asked for more than 3Euros per meal. We had salads, soups, wine, bread, main course and dessert every night. Not a bad deal at all I would say. Priceless memories too! There are also quite a few donativos with communal meals that are delicious and priced just that as a donation.
I would assume you have a smart phone. Download the Buen Camino app. It is free and gives you lots of choices for places to stay. There is also Gronze.com a website also with a list of places to sleep, easy to read maps etc. It is in Spanish but if you open it in google chrome it will automatically translate. The translation into English is more than adequate. They will both have many of the same places but will also have some that the other one doesn't. Both will give addresses prices, reviews of the albergue and phone numbers. Gronze will also have written reviews as well as if a albergue has communal meals or pilgrim meals for dinner and or breakfast and what the price is.

With the all the cautious advice I am reading on here, looks like to me the older demographics of most forum members seemed to have forgotten the adventure mindedness of youth, lol. The optimism. The glass is always half full, so to speak.
When I was in college four of us took a long road trip combined with backpacking. We literally ran out of money towards the end and had to sell a 35mm Minolta camera for gasoline money to get home, and a few spare dollars for beer and sandwiches. I look back upon that trip very fondly. The adventure. The unknown. Sleeping in the car. Really good times.
Certainly nothing involved in carrying a tent on the Camino Frances is dangerous. Bring the damn thing, lol.

Last edited:

€46,-
On or about 13th March 2019 I walked into Bercianos del Real Camino fully expecting to find a bed for the night.
The book (Wise Pilgrim) advised that there was one albergue open 12/12. Another opened March.
Neither were open.

Went into a bar at the back of town to find father and son Alan and Steven who were in the same position.
However, they had telephoned for a taxi to take them to the alternative route and the albergue at Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos.
They had gone further, the taxi Co. arranged for the key holder at Albergue de Calzadillos de Los Hermanillos to open up and he in turn rang the owner of the shop to open up (they ordinarily closed at 2.00)
The result that there were about ten of us in that Donitivo overnight.
What this story examples is that even when all seems dark there is a solution not very far away.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back