• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for securing a bed at Albergue de La Faba during the busy September season on Camino Frances

lisa2

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2022), Camino Frances (2023)
I am planning to walk from Pieros to La Faba as one of my stages on the Camino Frances in September 2023. I know this will be a long and hard day, but my question is whether I should be worried about the albergue being full when I arrive. I know they do not accept reservations and have 52 beds. I should also note that there will be 4 of us walking together. Has anyone stayed at La Faba during September and can recall how busy it was? I know each year is different and there are no guarantees that 2023 will be the same, but I appreciate any advice/insight.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sadly, La Faba was destroyed in a fire recently
Yes, sadly I do recall seeing something posted on the forum about a fire destroying the municipal albergue in La Faba, but I am thinking of staying at the parochial albergue (run by a German confraternity). Perhaps I should have been more clear, but thank you for taking the time to respond.

Further up the hill about 2 km there is a nice albergue La Escuela in Laguna de Castilla. They took reservations when we stayed there in 2016.
Thank you for the suggestion! I have also heard good things about La Escuela. I was hoping to break up the climb towards O Cebreiro by staying in one of the smaller villages the night before. I know there is also a nice albergue in Ruitelan, but sadly they will be closed in 2023.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in La Faba at the German run parochial albergue in May of 2015. I know it was a long time ago, but it is a lovely stone building with new bathrooms and great hosts; it stands out in my memory.
It does sound quite lovely! Do you recall whether it was very full that night? I would imagine that May and September might be similar in the number of pilgrims passing through.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
my question is whether I should be worried about the albergue being full when I arrive. I know they do not accept reservations and have 52 beds. I should also note that there will be 4 of us walking together
As you know, there are many unknowns that we really cannot resolve in advance unless we are willing to tie down a rigid schedule and reservations. If your group of 4 gets caught in a big wave of pilgrims, there could be cause for concern anywhere on the Camino Frances in September!

Here is my suggestion:
  1. Make note of that possible difficult point on your spreadsheet or guidebook.
  2. Consider what Plan B might be used (taxi, adjusting stages before or after, etc).
  3. Wait until you are in Spain and have a few days under your feet to get a sense of the crowds. If you are starting your Camino some weeks before you get to La Faba, you will have time to become aware of any big waves of pilgrims before/with/behind you. You will also be more comfortable with "how to Camino".
  4. Adjust accordingly, perhaps by refining Plan B.

It does sound quite lovely! Do you recall whether it was very full that night? I would imagine that May and September might be similar in the number of pilgrims passing through.
I'm sorry, but I do not recall exactly, although I remember that I didn't have to wait in any line to take my shower.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stayed in the German albergue in La Faba twice. Both long ago, before the extensions/renovations were done. The atmosphere there is very special; perhaps due to the church on site. Stay there and eat at the vegetarian place further along. You could stay there too, if it is still there. When I stayed there the beds were donativo and the food was excellent - I am not vegetarian. The hospis from the German albergue ate there too.

I am planning to walk from Pieros to La Faba as one of my stages on the Camino Frances in September 2023. I know this will be a long and hard day, but my question is whether I should be worried about the albergue being full when I arrive. I know they do not accept reservations and have 52 beds. I should also note that there will be 4 of us walking together. Has anyone stayed at La Faba during September and can recall how busy it was? I know each year is different and there are no guarantees that 2023 will be the same, but I appreciate any advice/insight.
We stayed there in September 2018. Great little town and the albergue was fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I too have stayed in La Escuela which is a little past La Faba. It is a really wonderful albergue. Clean, with good food and wonderful hospitality. On Gronze it shows that it accepts reservations and you can even book it on Booking.com.
Take the stress out if you feel a little nervous and book here and enjoy.

I too have stayed in La Escuela which is a little past La Faba. It is a really wonderful albergue. Clean, with good food and wonderful hospitality. On Gronze it shows that it accepts reservations and you can even book it on Booking.com.
Take the stress out if you feel a little nervous and book here and enjoy.

It must have been rebuilt...good news to hear since they obviously had a prior successful business.

We went to the German albergue in La Faba in mid-October 2021. The albergue was already closed for the season, but the small chapel beside it was open. We went inside and found it to be one of the loveliest, most peaceful places of worship on the entire CF. It's simple and obviously lovingly built, and such a respite from ostentatious (in our opinion) baroque grandeur. It was worth going there just to soak in the experience of that chapel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It must have been rebuilt...good news to hear since they obviously had a prior successful business.
I stayed at La Escuela on October 8th, '21. The albergue, staff (family?), dinner and accommodations (& laundry service) were all very nice. We found it a perfect place to stop in order to make the short morning walk into Galicia to O'Cebreiro and on to our final destination of A Balsa. We called direct to the albergue one day prior to make/ensure reservations and had no trouble whatsoever. We were asked to call if we found we would be arriving later than 3pm (we didn't need to). I would happily stay there again and to recommend it here.

Hello, it was way back in 2008 that I stayed in Albergue de La Faba. Run by the German Confraternity of St. James, I found the albergue to be clean and comfortable.
There was a bar serving a pilgrims meal just a short walk from the albergue.
Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at La Escuela with four family members in July 2019. We were able to get our own dorm of six bunks by splitting the cost of the extra bunk between us so it was like our own room. I can recommend it too - the owners were really helpful and hospitable, there was a large clothesline in a sunny and breezy spot for all your laundry, everything was spotless, all the food was terrific (in particular the caldo gallego and the local white cheese with local honey were superb) and it was in a scenic location.

Here’s a photo of the cows that @Camino Chrissy mentioned above -

64A75B8A-4207-4138-8F4B-64D51D32A3E1.jpeg

I’d stay there again in a heartbeat! It was one of the best albergues we stayed at for the whole of the CF that year.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I too have fond memories of the German parochial albergue at La Faba, as others also mentioned. Hope you and your friends will be able to enoy! :) We sang Ode to Joy in the evening, and it was the first time I'd ever heard Schiller's lyrics or learned it was the anthem of Europe.

I cannot speak to September, which may have higher numbers depending on what week/day you arrive. In July's high season many years ago, I can vouch that the hospitaleras ensured everyone had a place to sleep that night. Some slept in makeshift beds in a small stone outbuilding. Incredibly kind, and a one-of-a-kind albergue.

Alternatively, I have also heard great things about another place in La Faba (not the one that burned down :-(). While open to both ONLY pilgrims and tourists, this private albergue with only 10 beds had only pilgrims there when I heard about it last summer. So that might be another place to check out in case the parochial albergue is full, or if you don't continue on for another 2+ km. Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Edit: Sorry, Casa Arbol is open ONLY to pilgrims with credentials. That would explain why only pilgrims were there...! ;) Anyway, just to say that there is another option in La Faba if you're tired or the parochial is full.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Further up the hill about 2 km there is a nice albergue La Escuela in Laguna de Castilla. They took reservations when we stayed there in 2016.
I've stayed at La Escuela. It's quite nice and the best part is you can walk to O Cebreiro for breakfast then just keep on walking.

La Escuela was the first time we saw the cows being herded down the lane. We were having a beer out front and a grandmother and her grandson brought them by with their ringing bells.

I saw this same scene early November 2019, fun to watch after a cold, drizzly, muddy walk up the mountain. La Escuela had warm fire going in the bar and the pilgrim dinner was excellent.

The walk up to O Cebreiro for breakfast at Santo Grial makes for a good start to the day, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stayed there twice in September and once in May. It was busy all three times. Make sure you add your pack to the line when you arrive as they have been operating a queue since 2013. That particular year, it was so busy they put pilgrims up in the chapel. In 2016 they were not as busy but an albergue a bit further back had bedbugs so anyone who had stayed there had to have everything checked in the chapel. Ended off with pilgrims being allowed in but their packs stayed in chapel. They have a reputation for cleanliness and protect it rigorously. There is a kitchen but they do not provide meals. There is a little restuarant/bar in town that does great food

I stayed there in September 2015 with some friends. One of my special memories. The old church beside the albergue is simple and beautiful. Our hostess was wonderful, quiet and really interesting to speak to. It was nice to stay there before continuing on up to O'Cebriero the following morning. The little village nearby relies on pilgrims like us.
I hope it works out for you. Buen Camino

I stayed there in late May 2022 (La Escuela de la Faba). The bar and restaurant were delightful. The accommodations were satisfactory (less the normal snoring and pilgrim noises.) Lots of sinks and clothes lines for laundry.
I was up and out early to continue the climb to O'Cebreiro to avoid the heat of the day and arrived there for a gorgeous sunrise. Buen Camino!

How did you remember that! I just checked and this is the picture I posted ages ago...you have a great memory, Jenny!
View attachment 139691
Thanks Chrissy! I’m known for my excellent memory, which is a great thing and mostly very handy, but which sometimes can work against me! 😉
xx and Buen Camino -
Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have twice stayed at the Parroquial (German) albergue and loved it. You must go down and stand by the shop across the road from the bar to watch the cows go through the intersection. It is almost a show that is put on daily for pilgrims. Being an ex-farmer, I just loved the smell.

Being an ex-farmer ...
Having started at Le Puy (more than 1,400 km to the east) I encountered cattle and sheep on only four occasions. The first two were in the last few days in France before reaching Saint-Jean.

The next was just after Las Herrias at the foot of the hill. Even before I could see them I could hear the bells from bulls and rams. The next morning I could see cattle on the valley to my left. The night after La Faba I stayed at Samos: shortly after leaving I encountered a paddock with cows and a feeding station in the middle.

Kia kaha

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back