• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for US to St Jean Pied de Port Travel (Cheap Airfares)

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
Firstly, I'm a long time lurker... first-time poster (so be easy on me :) )

So, I just booked my flights from Chicago to Biarritz for my first Camino (Starting ~May 22)... so I guess I'm really going to do this :cool:.

I started my search for flights at the normal sites (Travelocity, Orbitz...) and started to freak out seeing 1-way airfares for $1,200-$3,550!!!! So after several nights of research, I got my 1-way ticket Chicago to Biarritz for $308!!!!

I thought I would share a few tips I learned that might help save you some money.

Here is what I learned/did:
  • First, go to these websites to check prices. Many of the "normal" flight sites don't include the discount airlines (think WOW, Norweign Air, Ryan Air...) The sites below DO include the discount airlines, so you will usually find much better prices:
  • Once you have found a suitable flight, write down the flight info and then go directly to the airline site to buy the tickets for the following reasons:
    • The prices you see are usually the base prices and don't include a checked piece of luggage. If you buy the base tickets, they will charge a lot for your checked piece at the airport. If you purchase the checked luggage option when buying the tickets on their site, you can save money. (In my case, WOW charged me $59 for my checked piece when I bought my ticket... at the airport it would have cost $99!)
    • Sometimes you can save money by booking directly with the airlines. In my case, I saved $55 from what I was being quoted on the above websites.
  • In my case, I had to buy tickets at WOW and then at Ryan Air. Yes, it was a little more work, but I saved some money.
  • FYI... I'm flying on WOW from Chicago to London (Stansted) via Reykjavik and then on RyanAir from London to Biarritz. Total time is 15hr 25m (the shortest flight I found was 12h 50m, but it cost $3,550!)
Hope this helps other pilgrims!

Cheers,

-jj

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good information. Another advantage to booking directly through the airline is choosing your seat immediately and ability to make changes or cancellations.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back