• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips/ Joy for a newbie!

Zunigandi

Time of past OR future Camino
Doing Camino Norte this July - August (2019)- first time
Hi Folks!

I’m headed out in a week to do most of the Camino Norte! So excited! Arriving in San Sebastián on July 22.

I’m doing 23 days with partial transit in between since I can’t do all 35. I’m SUPER excited. I haven’t met anyone who has done el Norte, haven’t found as many resources as Frances, and read a few bummer posts about it. Regardless, I’m way pumped, and I would love to counter this with some tips and anything that could help a first timer! Any tips and joyous thoughts you’d like to share are greatly appreciated.

:)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lucky you, @Zunigandi! The Camino del Norte is a really nice walk and being able to speak Spanish gives you a huge advantage. You'll find all the information you need on Gronze - it will help you to plan your daily stages and check the accommodation options etc.

As for tips and joyous thoughts - make sure that you swim, or at least dip your feet in the ocean as often as you can. That was one of my favourite things on the Norte - it's wonderful to lie in the sea after a long walk, or walk barefoot on the beach.

I also enjoyed the company of the younger pilgrims - their enthusiasm was infectious!

And finally ... this was the Camino where I really learned to embrace the joy of a long and lazy menu del dia. The Spanish dinner time can be quite late for pilgrims, so arriving (or stopping) in a place by about 2pm allows you to rest your feet and enjoy a really nice meal with the locals.

Wishing you a Buen Camino!

Thanks so much for the happy vibes and great tips! I’m so excited about swimming and also hope it helps with sore feet on those long walks! I’ll take note of the 2pm food time. Thanks again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Norte this year, I thought it was excellent ... my favourite Camino. Some of the scenery really is jaw-dropping, and the Camino attracts a great mix of pilgrims, young and old ... but never too many of them. You really can choose to be alone, or have a new friends / group experience quite easily.

Tips? Don't be scared to stay in the dorm rooms of the albergue de peregrinos. I know many people prefer single hotel rooms, but because the path is less populated, the albergues are where you can meet people.

If you are a breakfast person .. it isnt a bad idea to ensure you have a little food in your bag to start the day. There arent always cafes and coffee stops that you can rely upon to get you going in the morning.

Sunday is a day no supermarkets open. So saturday is a day to stock up too, assuming you want to cook or prepare your own food of course. You'll always find restaurants etc.

Most of the albergues have blankets. I hardly used my sleeping bag ... next time I'd just use a silk liner.

Download the Buen Camino app for information about albergues, the guide books werent very reliable for accomodation I think. But dont rely on the app for the maps, the waymarking is better I think.

Footwear - Boots arent really needed Id say. I had very simple trek shoes, but I do wish I had a trail runner, or even running shoe at times.

I absolutely love the Norte. I had a 50 day Camino, for my 50th birthday, with an idea of writing 50 Haiku poems. The Norte easily provides the inspiration. My ebook is linking in the signature, but Ill share one page here anyway. Screenshot_20190702-160041_Lithium.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back