• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips to handle severe fish/seafood allergies on CF?

pressnupu

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
Hello! I have multiple food allergies. Some ingredients (tomatoes, green beans, oranges, eggplant/aubergine) it’s okay to pick out but eat the rest of the dish. Some I avoid altogether (soy, beans). But I have life–threatening reactions to ALL fish and seafood.

I won’t have an Epi–pen on me (it’s been unavailable in Asia since they jacked up the prices years ago) though I carry anti–histamine. I’ve navigated serious food allergies my whole life all over the world so am used to it but do want to enjoy what I can on my first visit to Spain!

I will of course learn key Spanish phrases for ordering food, but I’d appreciate it if anyone can share any food tips along the CF? What to enjoy, what to watch out for (I hear tuna is put in everything!).

I do best with fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, chicken, some dairy, and meat without preservatives (though I’m sure I’ll have jamon and pancetta now and then). Thanks so much!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are wise to plan this out ahead. "they put tuna on everything" was my experience as well. Even when requesting 'sin atun', all they did was pick the tuna off of the top of the salad...not helpful for a real allergy!
I've since created a small credit card sized laminated list of true allergen foods ( all fish, all shellfish, all mushrooms, gluten ), with a picture each and put "ALERGICA!" in red bold type. On the back I type, in english/spanish/portuguse/italian...which ever applies.." I have severe food allergies, could you please assist me to select a meal that would be safe for me? Thank you for your help! " ...I hand the card to the waiter/staff with a big smile and it was always well received. I had waiters take pictures of it and chefs that came out to meet me, smiling and happy to help.
I ate a lot of eggs...even when not on the menu, but I always ate ( and had some pretty creative meals as well !
( it's all in the approach...most people willing to help) I suggest you try to purchase an epi-pen in Spain. Bring a written prescription or a picture of the one you used in past...with allergies, you never know which exposure will be fatal if emergency care is not in time ( says the nurse, me )

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.47.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.47.40 AM.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ll third- that. Could you get a private prescription for an epi-pen which you could fulfil in Spain. I don’t know if that’s possible; but it seems disgraceful that you’re priced-out from a simple potentially life-saving device.

Sophie’s also correct - tuna is almost used as a condiment on salads.

@KJFSophie and @J Willhaus have already offered good advice. Remember too that many others have walked the CF with dietary considerations such as yours, so KJFSophie’s suggestion will not be new to eateries and their staff.

I offer this thought, even you may already be aware of it. On the CF there are not too many places where you will not find a shop, of some of some description, where you can buy food of some description. Perhaps you could consider that approach?

Buen (allergen-free) Camino

Carry a card noting your allergies. In big red letters in Spanish, write something like "If I eat this, I will die!" My son did this for his peanut allergies when we were in southeast Asia, and it immediately got the proper attention.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great tips that I will second. I have serve allergies to pecans!
Go straight to the first pharmacy you find and get an epi pen. Also, I carry the pediatric melt aways of 12.5mg benedryl that if I start to feel a reaction, I take immediately, followed by by the 25mg dose if I need to. There is a company that will customize an allergy alert card in over 300 languages... here is their website: https://equaleats.com/. You can also get medical alert bracelets or necklaces companies will customize for you--in case you have a severe reaction (pooey pooey pooey) and you are unable to communicate your needs. I have gone into anaphylaxis once and take your concerns seriously! You are doing the prep work to be prepared! Buen Camino!

Thank you all SO much for this valuable advice! @KJFSophie your card is brilliant! I love that it has pictures too, and I can completely imagine the lovely helpful response you've had to it! I shall create one for myself, thank you.

I'm from the UK but haven't lived there for a decade so I have no idea of previous epi–pen prescriptions (my GP's office isn't even there any more). I have to see if my mother's doctor here can write me one, though I'm not sure Spain will honour a prescription from Bangladesh :(

I'm very vigilant (more so after an anaphylactic shock), so if there's any risk of fish/seafood being in the dish, I'll stay clear and have things I can clearly trust – olives, cheese, nuts, bread, etc, all of which will be good supply there.

I'd love to try some regional dishes that are never made of fish/seafood but perhaps that's a tall order!

Thank you all again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd love to try some regional dishes that are never made of fish/seafood but perhaps that's a tall order!
I don't think that it will be difficult to find foods without fish/seafood.
There are lots of traditional options like lentil soups and my favorite - tortilla de patatas.

Tortilla-de-Patata-13-400x400.jpg

You'll want to stay away from the ensalada mixta which usually comes with tuna, and many paellas.

Hello! I have multiple food allergies. Some ingredients (tomatoes, green beans, oranges, eggplant/aubergine) it’s okay to pick out but eat the rest of the dish. Some I avoid altogether (soy, beans). But I have life–threatening reactions to ALL fish and seafood.

I won’t have an Epi–pen on me (it’s been unavailable in Asia since they jacked up the prices years ago) though I carry anti–histamine. I’ve navigated serious food allergies my whole life all over the world so am used to it but do want to enjoy what I can on my first visit to Spain!

I will of course learn key Spanish phrases for ordering food, but I’d appreciate it if anyone can share any food tips along the CF? What to enjoy, what to watch out for (I hear tuna is put in everything!).

I do best with fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, chicken, some dairy, and meat without preservatives (though I’m sure I’ll have jamon and pancetta now and then). Thanks so much!
If you plan to stay at albergues I would avoid signing up for "La cena" the dinner as it is served to multiple people and one often doesn't know what is going to be served. Rather I would find a restaurant or cafe and order from the menu so you know what you are getting. I'm so sorry about traveling without an Epi-pen.
Buen Camino.

If the first pharmacy won’t fill your prescription, try again elsewhere. It’s life-saving, a single epi-pen is not going to be a serious risk for the pharmacy to dispense.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you plan to stay at albergues I would avoid signing up for "La cena" the dinner as it is served to multiple people and one often doesn't know what is going to be served. Rather I would find a restaurant or cafe and order from the menu so you know what you are getting. I'm so sorry about traveling without an Epi-pen.
Buen Camino.
Also...bring your prescription. Medications are much less expensive in Spain than in the US. Maybe that will be your discovery as well.

Get a doctors-note / prescription and buy an Epi-Pen in Spain. In the bigger cities there should be no problem to buy one in the local pharmacies.
It's ca. 100€ per pen. I wouldn't go without it if you are in severe trouble after eating seafood. Sometime you can't be shure what is served or about the ingredients.

Hope you'll be fine on your way.

Buen Camino.
I don't necessarily agree with this advice. When I cook with or for pilgrims at the albergue, I always ask about food restrictions and have made various meals that were vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. by working with the pilgrim. If you want to eat with others, ask what is possible after explaining your food allergies. If they say it is not possible, then you can make a different choice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm wondering if you can buy an epi-pen online?

Here in Australia, Pharmacy Direct sell epi-pens and accoeding to the information I read, they will ship internationally.

Here is the link

https://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/general-health/medical-devices/adrenaline-pens

They do need confirmation from a chemist of some authority, and this is something you could contact them about.

You mentioned you are in Asia.

When I was a Professor at a university in Shanghai, China, many moons ago, a teacher from Australia arrived to commence a teaching assignment. He disclosed to me his severe allergy to seafood and that he hsd forgotten to bring his epi-pen. Given the known severity of his reaction to sea food, we were able to quickly obtain an genuine epi-pen from a chemist in a well known expat area.

Perhaps you could make an enquiry at a westernised chemist shop assuming there are such shops in your area?

Best wishes

Graham

We took an EpiPen for our grandson who is severely allergic to bee stings. To be on the safe side we also took a doctors prescription for another in case of loss or having used the first one.
We were told the prescription would be ok for a Spanish pharmacist, but didnt have to put it to the test.

Thank you all SO much for this valuable advice! @KJFSophie your card is brilliant! I love that it has pictures too, and I can completely imagine the lovely helpful response you've had to it! I shall create one for myself, thank you.

I'm from the UK but haven't lived there for a decade so I have no idea of previous epi–pen prescriptions (my GP's office isn't even there any more). I have to see if my mother's doctor here can write me one, though I'm not sure Spain will honour a prescription from Bangladesh :(

I'm very vigilant (more so after an anaphylactic shock), so if there's any risk of fish/seafood being in the dish, I'll stay clear and have things I can clearly trust – olives, cheese, nuts, bread, etc, all of which will be good supply there.

Thank you all again.
I'm sure you are aware that it is more than ordering something you can eat and avoiding the things you are allergic to....real allergies can be triggered if the same knife or counter or spoon is used from something to another ( fish and mushrooms are everywhere! ) The cooks should be alerted to take care in prep. I always ask for help and defer to whatever is easiest for them to prepare. I've seen too many pilgrims demanding all kinds of alterations to an existing menu item...which may well be prepped ahead and hard to create without the allergen. We just smile, let them know, ask for help and smile some more...it works :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all once again. @KJFSophie yes on the spoons/knives/pans situation, so I'll have to eat olives and other 'self–contained' things I know won't be contaminated, and I'm sure will be having a lot of eggs like you ;) And there are always local shops as @JohnMcM said, so I'll have options.

@Walton thank you for this, yes, it used to be available widely earlier, but when the Epi–Pen company was bought out, the new company raised the price so astronomically (monsters!) that they won't stock it even in big cities in India (where I travel to frequently) because nobody can afford it any more. I'll try my luck trying to get a foreign prescription filled in Spain. I've been without one now for 5 years or so (and for some reason, seem to always move from one fishy place to another!) so I've learnt to live without it too.

Thank you, @trecile, good to know – no ensalata mixta or paella for me :(

Thank you, all! I look forward to meeting whoever is on the CF this May/June. xx

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.