• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Tired of training, ready to go

Charlotte Helbig

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Sept. 2017
Camino Portugués May-June 2019
Hello all:
I leave in six weeks to walk the CF, starting in SJPP. Over the last several months, I have been walking 10-11 miles 6 days a week. I am wondering if there is a point at which I could/should cut back? I want to be as prepared as possible but don't want to overdo it either.
Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are enjoying your walking then I do not think there is any special reason to stop. I do not think that walking the Camino Frances really demands such systematic training either unless you have particular concerns about your own individual fitness. If you intend walking longer daily stages than your current practice walks then it might be worthwhile to try a few longer walks while wearing the footwear and clothing you intend to use on the CF, and carrying the rucksack and gear you mean to take. That way if there are any potential problems you have the chance to diagnose them well in advance and sort them out before you leave home. Far easier than doing it once you have started your journey. Ultreia!

Thank you so much for your comments.
I think that is part of the problem....yes, I am enjoying the walks but not as much as before. My feet have been hurting lately, which I have been trying to ignore but probably should see what's going on before I leave. As far as fitness goes I think I am in fairly reasonable shape; I have taken some longer walks with and without the pack over the last several months.
I have been planning this for almost a year and just think I am anxious for the adventure to begin.
Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My feet have been hurting lately...
It's time for Camino Lesson #1, which is, "Learn to listen to your body." Your feet need more recovery time. Cut it back to 5 days a week of walking: walk 3, rest day, walk 2, rest day. You can still do core-strengthening and stretching exercises on your rest days.

Now that you are very well-prepared for the physical aspects of the walk, maybe it's time to devote some attention to the spiritual/transformational aspects of the journey. Start writing your journal. What are you seeking? How do you feel called to the camino? Start collecting your spiritual reading: ask for recommendations from friends/mentors, and try out some new authors. There's much more to this journey than merely getting yourself from Point A to Point B.

My feet have been hurting lately, which I have been trying to ignore but probably should see what's going on before I leave.
Yes. Try to find out as soon as possible, while you have time to treat and heal whatever it is. I'd even suggest taking a week off immediately, and see if that helps. Then start again at the pace suggested by @Kitsambler, with 2 rest days during the week.

Our final training schedule.......My husband and I are retired so have the benefit of a flexible daily schedule. We start our Camino on September 10 and plan to walk 12 to 15 miles a day. For this past year, we've been walking every week, 2 to 3 miles per day with one or two days off - 12 to 18 miles per week. Last week and this week we're walking 12 miles a day taking every third day off. We're trying to simulate the Camino as closely as we can, so.......
Week 6: up at 6am, eat a nourishing snack, then walk 5 miles with packs; back home for breakfast and an hour break, then back walking for another 5 miles; lunch and rest break (my husband thinks we should add wine to better create the Camino atmosphere); then walk again for 2 to 5 miles. We're trying to finish by 4 pm.
Week 5: walk two - 3 mile segments for two days, then take a rest day, repeat....
Week 4: same as week 6
Week 3: same as week 5
Week 2: walk two days with week 5 schedule, rest day, then 2-3 miles per day
Week 1: walk 2 miles per day for 3 days, rest day, repeat
1/2 week: we arrive in Barcelona on Sept 4 and will walk as part of sightseeing
We're always open to suggestions and ideas for improving out schedule. Like you, we
Are ready to start!!!! Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before I did my first camino I read a post that said: 'Don't walk the camino before you walk the camino!' There are lots of different approaches to training for a camino but in the end it is a long walk, you don't want to be bored and exhausted before you start. a few days of walking will soon build up stamina.
My boredom threshold is low so I only train for about 6 weeks before I walk, maybe your body is telling you something.:)
Good luck and buen camino!

Good question. Good recommendations. In competitive long distance running training I used the "hard day/easy day" method and it worked. Already then, hope to see you in mi camino lento. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post and for your wonderful suggestions. I have decided to stop until I consult with a podiatrist early next week, then go from there. I honestly feel I have walked enough to this point that even if I must stop for awhile I will be OK after a few days. Gracias Sailor, igualmentey Buen Camino a todos.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post and for your wonderful suggestions. I have decided to stop until I consult with a podiatrist early next week, then go from there. I honestly feel I have walked enough to this point that even if I must stop for awhile I will be OK after a few days. Gracias Sailor, igualmentey Buen Camino a todos.
Wise decision!

Hello all:
I leave in six weeks to walk the CF, starting in SJPP. Over the last several months, I have been walking 10-11 miles 6 days a week. I am wondering if there is a point at which I could/should cut back? I want to be as prepared as possible but don't want to overdo it either.
Thank you.
I wonder if the high mileage has worn out your footwear?

I wonder if the high mileage has worn out your footwear?
You may be on to something. About a month ago I finally threw away my old shoes to start trying my new Camino shoes, which are now nicely broken in and comfy. So perhaps whatever the problem is didn't get resolved since I kept walking rather than taking a break.

Back