• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To and from the trail, Gijon, Olviedo, Tineo, Lugo, Santiago de Compostela

SeeTheWorld

Time of past OR future Camino
3-8 September, 2019
Hi,

I've been invited on the hiking trip with a friend going next week so I'm starting from scratch today trying to figure this out. I've spent a few hours researching but haven't found the specific answers.

She set up the itinerary and asked me to figure out how to get on and off the trails. We're hiking for fun and the scenery, and staying in hotels in the towns listed in the threads, so we need to get from those towns and onto the trail, hiking for several hours and then get off the trails and get to the next town on the list to stay that night and repeat.

I'm sure the answer is different for each trail and location, but is this plan logical in general? Can we catch taxis, buses, trains, Ubers, or something to and from the trailheads and to and from the towns.

1-3 Sep in Madrid then head to Gijon the morning of the 3rd.
Night of 3 Sep in Gijon, 4 in Olviedo, 5 in Tineo, 6 in Lugo, 7&8 in Santiago de Compostela, return to Madrid on the 9th.

We're open to changing the itinerary if there's a good reason to do so. Our main interest is good hiking and good scenery. Actually we'd prefer to see some ocean views, but she said the parts near the ocean may have towns too far apart for our day hiking idea.

Any tips or advice is very appreciated!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, SeetheWorld,

Your itinerary includes one city on the Camino del Norte, with the rest on the Camino Primitivo. I would suggest you look at resources like Gronze.com https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo

If you know how far you want to walk each day, you should look at the stages listed by gronze and come up with an idea where to “hope on and hop off.

If you are more interested in coastal walking, then look at gronze’s information on the camino del Norte. There are many towns along the coast with accommodations. https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte

I am not sure how someone could come up with ideas for you without knowing how far you want to walk. So if you take a look at those websites, it may help get you oriented. Cabs are readily available, at about a euro a km, so you can really wing it — the parts of Spain you are going to are urbanized and cabs will always be accessible.

Hi, SeetheWorld,

Your itinerary includes one city on the Camino del Norte, with the rest on the Camino Primitivo. I would suggest you look at resources like Gronze.com https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo

Yes she chose the Camino Primitivo on purpose. Not 100% sure why...I think because it is the original trail, supposed to be fewer people on it, and I think she heard it was more scenic.

If you know how far you want to walk each day, you should look at the stages listed by gronze and come up with an idea where to “hope on and hop off.

If you are more interested in coastal walking, then look at gronze’s information on the camino del Norte. There are many towns along the coast with accommodations. https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte

I am not sure how someone could come up with ideas for you without knowing how far you want to walk. So if you take a look at those websites, it may help get you oriented. Cabs are readily available, at about a euro a km, so you can really wing it — the parts of Spain you are going to are urbanized and cabs will always be accessible.

Will check out those resources thanks. In normal hiking through mountains we usually do up to 15 miles in a day of course depending on terrain and altitude gain and loss. We could certainly do less and that will partially be dictated by where it's easy to get on and off trails and to roads, towns and transportation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Between Oviedo and Tineo there is a single afternoon bus (ALSA) most days. - it goes as far as Grandas de Salime. Check the website as things might have changed this year.
There is no public transport for the 26 kms from Grandas to A Fonsagrada, only taxi and they may well charge the mileage both ways if over 10kms.
Between A Fonsagrada and Lugo there were 3 buses daily, again check the website - might be Freire or Monbus but I cannot remember so I suggest that you try a search engine for routes and times

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back