• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To blog, or not to blog

A

Anemone del Camino

This post is in response to @C clearly's most recent post on her blog. In it she reflects on whether she will walk again (hubby asked it it was now out of her system) and ends wondering about blogging. And deciding she will keep engaging in this "self endulgence".

Clare (so glad to have been part of the pleasure portion of your Montreal trip), my take on blogs in this: why is one blogging?

To share operational infor with others?
To solidify memories by committing things to a keyboard?
To construct a personnage?
To brag?

I have so enjoyed reading about your mother on your blog, and obviously read about your VDLP just a few weeks ahead of mine. Thank you for the operational tips!

Because ypur blog is about so much more than Caminos and kms, I think ot is for you a wonderful place to document your own history, for yourself, but also your children and sibblings.

Never did I get the feelijg from your blog that it is there to impress the readers, to invite accolades, in fact ot is deaply personal at times, and when you think you may have pushed the envelop a bit, you delete.

I have also enjoyed the blog from the member from Singapour walking the Norte with his wife. Very operational, never giving the impression he is hoping create an image of himself as somesort of Camino hero, hoping to market hos experience in some way.

So please keep blogging away, and walking ;). Though perhaps spending a bit more time at home as you seem to want to now. Just see about tweaking your blog, as when I tried to respond on it, it said the page is missing. ;)

Enjoy the Czech Republic and then your time back at home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I'd never blogged before I tackled the Camino France's last year, and in addition to having a record of the trip another reason to blog is so that elderly parents who aren't up to social media could keep tabs on my solo journey and worry less.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are some wonderful blogs written by members of this forum and i return to these again and again. However, last year when I was walking i found myself 'featuring' a few times on someone's blog ( a couple of photographs, some comments about what I was doing and my name ) and the person who was writing the blog had not said ( although he had opportunity) that he was doing this.

I felt that this was intrusive. I felt uncomfortable. So since this thread about blogging has opened up i wonder what other people think... I think he should have been more courteous and ask me if I minded. Or at least tell me...

I agree entirely @Levi I don't like my photo taken for that reason (turning up on random social media) and when I blog/write about others, I always change name/nationality and/or disguise them in another way. It is a thing of respect for me. Buen Camino, SY

PS A different thing is if I know that somebody I write about writes also on her/his own blog and then it is courtesy to link to that blog also.

To share operational infor with others?
To solidify memories by committing things to a keyboard?
To construct a personnage?
To brag?
Thank you for your kind comments, and opening up the questions for discussion. I think all of the above are good reasons for blogging. Even the last, "to brag" is not always so terrible. We all like to share our pleasure and pride in things we do. It just needs to be balanced with humility.

@Levi makes some good points. I agree that the post about him was inappropriate. I will say, however, that it has taken me a few years of blogging experience to develop a better sense of how to do it, how to consider privacy and what posts I might regret in the future. A new blogger can easily forget how public their posts are, and how small the Camino world is. He or she writes initially thinking that only family and friends will read. That's not an excuse, but it is worth understanding.

I try to respect others' privacy, first by not using names, and also by telling myself that any comments should be acceptable if that person read them. After several Caminos I have learned that you never know what connections might be made in the future! I can think of one occasion when I was highly critical but I ģave no identifying info or photos. (Besides, they deserved a scolding.)

I think it is proper to ask for permission if a person's photo is "featured" and clearly identifiable. On many occasions I have chosen or cropped photos with that in mind. However, the situation is less clear for group photos and gatherings in public places. There is a big grey area of appropriateness, in this new Internet world.

Now I'll have to go review my blog to check for inappropriate photos and comments! Let's face it - people's foibles and eccentricities are fascinating subjects to write about and read.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your kind comments, and opening up the questions for discussion. I think all of the above are good reasons for blogging. Even the last, "to brag" is not always so terrible. We all like to share our pleasure and pride in things we do. It just needs to be balanced with humility.

@Levi makes some good points. I agree that the post about him was inappropriate. I will say, however, that it has taken me a few years of blogging experience to develop a better sense of how to do it, how to consider privacy and what posts I might regret in the future. A new blogger can easily forget how public their posts are, and how small the Camino world is. He or she writes initially thinking that only family and friends will read. That's not an excuse, but it is worth understanding.

I try to respect others' privacy, first by not using names, and also by telling myself that any comments should be acceptable if that person read them. After several Caminos I have learned that you never know what connections might be made in the future! I can think of one occasion when I was highly critical but I ģave no identifying info or photos. (Besides, they deserved a scolding.)

I think it is proper to ask for permission if a person's photo is "featured" and clearly identifiable. On many occasions I have chosen or cropped photos with that in mind. However, the situation is less clear for group photos and gatherings in public places. There is a big grey area of appropriateness, in this new Internet world.

Now I'll have to go review my blog to check for inappropriate photos and comments! Let's face it - people's foibles and eccentricities are fascinating subjects to write about and read.
I always ask people for permission to use their photo on my blog. Even the old folks in the villages gave me permission. I just didn't include their names. I try to link to other people's blogs in my post or feature them on my homepage if I think they can provide something of value to my readers. Even if they don't link back to mine. But I think I will stop that practice and only link to pages that have expressly given me permission to link and who will reciprocate. That way there's no weirdness or doubts about intent.

I just realized that I made an assumption recently with one person I met and took a group photo with. Everyone knew I was taking the photo for my blog but I think this person might not have wanted their name mentioned. I will be correcting that right away. Good point made C Clearly.

...I blogged for a while but ceased when it became an obsession. I carry a pen + exercise book instead of a computer and have swapped my camera for a musical instrument...

Blogging is a response to all the amazing experiences on the Camino! I enjoy writing my blog and I also enjoy reading other people's. It also gives you something to do in the afternoons!
And who cares why we blog. It's a personal form of expression that is not for others to judge. Just be respectful of other people's privacy and ask permission before taking and photos. My blog is about adventure travel not just Caminos. I love writing and sharing my knowledge and experiences.

Between my blog and my Facebook account, my friends and family around the world have come to expect that I tell them bedtime stories. The good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

It's also a way for me to get away, mentally, from the horrible, evil people that I deal with in my profession. My happy place is my blog. If that makes any sense.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are some wonderful blogs written by members of this forum and i return to these again and again. However, last year when I was walking i found myself 'featuring' a few times on someone's blog ( a couple of photographs, some comments about what I was doing and my name ) and the person who was writing the blog had not said ( although he had opportunity) that he was doing this.

I felt that this was intrusive. I felt uncomfortable. So since this thread about blogging has opened up i wonder what other people think... I think he should have been more courteous and ask me if I minded. Or at least tell me...
I agree with you about being asked permission. Quite a few years back my husband and I had been out of town visiting friends to do some biking with them. After I returned home I was having coffee with a local friend. She asked me how I liked my bike outing the previous weekend. I was totally bewildered and confused as to how she knew as I'd not bothered to mention it to her. Well, it was the new world of FB. My out of town friend had posted a few pictures of us on her page. I felt rather upset that my privacy was invaded as social media was all so "new" to me at the time. I've now learned to accept those intrusions and no longer feel offended as it's become so commonplace. I'm sure the blogger you refered to was ignorant and probably had no clue he/she was offending you.

Very nicely written with many good points made.

Oh no! Was that me? I have to admit that I've not considered that aspect before :oops::oops::( It's a good point though and I will from now on.

@Anemone del Camino I've asked myself about my blog and wondered if it was a bit self indulgent and what was the point. I started it on my first camino to share information with family and friends... that way I could avoid any other form of contact apart from the blog. When I walked again folks said I should do the same again... and so I continued.

I have to say that I do love reading back over my posts... seeing the photos and remembering the days. I also liked the process of writing the blog at the end of each day. I will continue with mine but there are times when I thought that I might just make it private... but then I think I enjoy reading other blogs and I've learned so much from others... so maybe someone might find my ramblings useful?

This is a good thread... thanks for starting it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh no! Was that me? I have to admit that I've not considered that aspect before :oops::oops::( It's a good point though and I will from now on.

@Anemone del Camino I've asked myself about my blog and wondered if it was a bit self indulgent and what was the point. I started it on my first camino to share information with family and friends... that way I could avoid any other form of contact apart from the blog. When I walked again folks said I should do the same again... and so I continued.

I have to say that I do love reading back over my posts... seeing the photos and remembering the days. I also liked the process of writing the blog at the end of each day. I will continue with mine but there are times when I thought that I might just make it private... but then I think I enjoy reading other blogs and I've learned so much from others... so maybe someone might find my ramblings useful?

This is a good thread... thanks for starting it!
I have never really done official blogging, but on my first Camino I asked if family and friends would like me to share my experiences walking since it was a very "different" type of trip. They were quite curious and responded with an enthusiastic "yes"! So, I typed up a daily email in my bunk each night to about 25 people, including three pictures. When they heard I was walking a second Camino route the following year, they asked if I was going to email again. I told them I hadn't planned to, but many were dissappointed and requested me to continue. So now I've reported the daily details about my Caminos three times. I do enjoy journaling, but do not document other awesome vacations I take...only Caminos, as they are extra special, as you all well know. :)

For me the question is a bit like "why do you go on Camino?". Certainly not just one reason. The blog is a creative outlet. I know there are a few family members and friends that follow along. I do enjoy looking over past blog entries once in a while, and they do provide details that I would have forgotten without some sort of journal/blog. I hope that my hints for other pilgrims about the route have helped people with their journeys (especially along the less traveled routes). And I know of at least a few folks that have found the blog, simply a fun read.

I do appreciate the thoughtful comments, on this thread, concerning the posting of pictures, and comments about other people, which I was careful about in earlier years, but have been less so recently. I'll keep those ideas in mind on future entries.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I only mentioned selfindulgence because ot is a question @C clearly mentioned she was wondering about why she blogs.

I was just glad that I'm not the only one who's asked that question :D But I do enjoy reading other blogs... and I love the variety of blogs out there. It's always interesting to see how others are thinking when walking the same paths... and how we see things differently. So I've decided on balance blogging is good :D

My blogs were written to keep loved ones at home in touch with our adventures. They became something else for me. My greatest Camino souvenir to MYSELF!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On reflection, I blogged our Camino for three main reasons. Initially, it was to keep friends and family informed of our journey, But as the Caminho da Costa was not well documented at the time, I also hoped it might be useful for others contemplating this route. Finally as older peregrino there was a little bit of 'you're never too old' as I hoped other septuagenarians might be inspired to pick up the walking poles. I enjoy technology, writing and photography so this format suits me well. I was therefore very surprised when my daughter (who said she enjoyed reading it each day) commented that it seemed self-indulgent for an introvert (me) to be so public about our trip. Rocked me a bit. I have just reread the entries and I am really happy to have this journal of a very significant time. And it does seem to have served the second purpose.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back