• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

to book accomodation or not to book

jenny hall

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 may
I arrive in SJPdP on 29th April and plan on staying one night before my big adventure begins just wondering if I should book accommodation for that night now or wait till I arrive if I book can someone advise me of a good place to stay that is easy to find from the train station and easy to make my way from the next morning Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A little more information is needed for good advice. What kind of accomodation are you looking for? Hotel, hostel, cheapest or not? Where are you arriving from? If you arrive with a jetlag I would prefer a hotelroom.
In general SJPdP is quit a small place. Nearly al the accom are close to train station en close to the start.

Wish you a good camino!

I arrive in SJPdP on 29th April and plan on staying one night before my big adventure begins just wondering if I should book accommodation for that night now or wait till I arrive if I book can someone advise me of a good place to stay that is easy to find from the train station and easy to make my way from the next morning Thanks
Hy Jenny , when you arrive late the best thing you can do is book accomodation.Look at the reply off Thomas. I wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As the others have said, if you arrive late it would be advisable to have a reservation. I also would suggest to bring / get a Credencial from home. If these two things are already sorted you will have a far stress-freer Camino start. Buen Camino, SY

PS There is a list of all CF albergues here in the resources section, you could have a look at that one and see which albergue options are available.

thank you I will have a think about it and might book before I leave home. I have my Credencial all ready little keen but at least I have it one less thing to panic about when I get there

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello
I'm starting my first Camino at the end of July and won't be arriving in St Jean until about 19.30 after a 12 hour train journey from London. I have already booked my first night's accommodation in a private hostel and shall possibly book the second night in Burguete as I'm worried that Roncesvalles might be a little packed on the eve of the feast day. After that I'll be playing it by ear as I intend to stay in between the recognised stages most of the time.
Enjoy your walk

Hello
I'm starting my first Camino at the end of July and won't be arriving in St Jean until about 19.30 after a 12 hour train journey from London. I have already booked my first night's accommodation in a private hostel and shall possibly book the second night in Burguete as I'm worried that Roncesvalles might be a little packed on the eve of the feast day. After that I'll be playing it by ear as I intend to stay in between the recognised stages most of the time.
Enjoy your walk

Feel free to do as you want but don't be afraid Roncevalles might be full. There are 100ds of places, if these are full there is an overflow. Unles someone does correct me, I don't think the place was ever full.

Feel free to do as you want but don't be afraid Roncevalles might be full. There are 100ds of places, if these are full there is an overflow. Unles someone does correct me, I don't think the place was ever full.
Thanks. I'm guessing that the extra 3 klicks will feel like a lot more!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks. I'm guessing that the extra 3 klicks will feel like a lot more!
Nah, it's an easy 3 clicks....flat and level.
On my first Camino I stayed in Roncesvalles. It was okay, but really not much to see or do there. Last summer on my second Camino I stopped in Roncesvalles for a break and a beer and then continued on to Burguete. Stayed at the Hotel Burguete, Ernest Hemingway's old hang-out. It was pretty cool.

thank you I will have a think about it and might book before I leave home. I have my Credencial all ready little keen but at least I have it one less thing to panic about when I get there
Yeah, if you arrive late in SJPdP you should definitely have made a reservation somewhere. As said before, it's not a very big town, and only about a 15 minute walk down from the train station. You can't miss it, and the whole town is close to the Camino...you can't miss that either.
I wouldn't sweat the credential thing. I picked mine up from the pilgrim's office there on both my Caminos, which were during the peak season. Neither time was there a queue (line) to get the credentials, and it took no time at all. Maybe ten minutes. To me picking up the credential there and registering kinda seems like all part of the experience. Besides, I like the credential they give you. It's made with nice thick paper, and they stamp it. Really nice people running the place.
Believe me there is nothing to panic about when walking the Camino. Piece of cake.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The new albergue in Roncesvalles has 184 beds, the overflow (the old albergue) 120 beds, if more pilgrims are expected (for example in Holy Years, but no fear the next one is in 2021) the local government puts up a tent city. So, no panic about beds / places to sleep in Roncesvalles necessary! Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, if you arrive late in SJPdP you should definitely have made a reservation somewhere. As said before, it's not a very big town, and only about a 15 minute walk down from the train station. You can't miss it, and the whole town is close to the Camino...you can't miss that either.
I wouldn't sweat the credential thing. I picked mine up from the pilgrim's office there on both my Caminos, which were during the peak season. Neither time was there a queue (line) to get the credentials, and it took no time at all. Maybe ten minutes. To me picking up the credential there and registering kinda seems like all part of the experience. Besides, I like the credential they give you. It's made with nice thick paper, and they stamp it. Really nice people running the place.
Believe me there is nothing to panic about when walking the Camino. Piece of cake.
Thank you Mark I am looking forward to the experience these next week are going to drag can't wait to be starting !

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back