• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book ahead for an alburgue or not?

coldweather

Hola!

I walked the Camino in May 2013. I did not make advance alburgue reservations but some pilgrims did.

I am planning to walk in April 2016. I do not plan to have a phone with me. I like the idea of setting out each morning with a plan in my head but the freedom and flexibility to change my mind at any time. This is why I always carry my backpack and do not use the backpack transportation services.

I am feeling that since almost everyone has a phone that bed reservations are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I am looking for pilgrims with recent experience (2015) on how many pilgrims are making alburgue reservations vs. no reservations.

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I presume you are talking about private albergues, where bookings can be made. I know that in 2014, I only did that once, on the day that I walked to Finnisterre. The remainder of that trip (CI then Muxia and Finisterre) I just arrived at a combination of Xunta alburgues, which cannot be booked, two other private albergues and one hostel. So one night out of 10 was booked.

I carried a phone, but arranged with the hospitalera at Muxia to make the booking at Finisterra.

Personally, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a bed in April.
I've walked that early with no reservations and found a bed every night.
Walking BETWEEN the Brierley stages helps also.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola!

I walked the Camino in May 2013. I did not make advance alburgue reservations but some pilgrims did.

I am planning to walk in April 2016. I do not plan to have a phone with me. I like the idea of setting out each morning with a plan in my head but the freedom and flexibility to change my mind at any time. This is why I always carry my backpack and do not use the backpack transportation services.

I am feeling that since almost everyone has a phone that bed reservations are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I am looking for pilgrims with recent experience (2015) on how many pilgrims are making alburgue reservations vs. no reservations.

Thank you!
Hi, just finished my Camino Frances and the only reservation I did was for the albergue Orisson. I walked for 37 day's and finding a bed was no problem at all. Wish you well and a Buen Camino in 2016, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did anyone just started to walk and not booked, called etc. etc. ahead? Seems to me that the whole idea of trusting in the pilgrimage itself is getting a bit lost if everything has to be pre arranged. But maybe I'm off here and it is a good idea to plan ahead. Personally I like to travel with as little electronic gadgets as possible. But I can see how a cellphone could come in handy in an emergency situation. In the end, any pilgrimage is a personal event I trust, and everyone must listen to their own comfort level.

I walked in May, which is considered the start of the busy season and I had no need to book ahead. Then again, I mostly stayed in Municipal albergues so I was unable to reserve :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Personally, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a bed in April.
I've walked that early with no reservations and found a bed every night.
Walking BETWEEN the Brierley stages helps also.

We're leaving in a week and truly want to "go with the flow." However, I do worry some about finding four beds, night after night. I have a different guidebook and want to follow your advice to avoid the Brierley stages. Unfortunately, I don't know them! Can you recommend a website that might? ...Are they possibly listed somewhere in your helpful blog? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walked in late August-September 2013. The only reservations I made were in Orisson and in Sjpdp and then again at private albergues when we got deep into Galicia. There was three towns we had trouble getting a bed. The town's we had trouble were in Zubiri, Los Arcos, and also in Ponferrada.
I remember walking into Zubiri and all the albergues were filled. We were forced to stay at the local hotel. In Ponferrada, there were so many pilgrims looking for a bed the day we arrived that the municipal albergue ran out of beds and gave arriving pilgrims a mattress so they could sleep outside in front of the Albergue. In Los Arcos there were so many people walking that day that we could not get into Casa de la Abuela as well. We almost missed getting into the muni there too. Good luck on your journey. Buen Camino.

Hola!

Thank you!
Please note, the Pope has declared a Holy Year starting in December 2015. I think the Caminos are going to be very busy.

I walked the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct 2014 and made only one advance reservation - at Orrison. Had no problems until next to last day, when I ended up walking 30+ km before finding accommodations - thankfully at the Monte del Gozo muni. Every place I stopped on that long, wet haul was "complete," making for a discouraging and sometimes scary day. It was dark by the time I finally reached the albergue, and when the hospitalerio saw my exhausted expression, he said, "welcome home!" Those two words were especially sweet, as I never planned nor wanted to walk that far. Guess I was caught off guard by the impact of the short-haul crowds.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.