• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Book? (Hotels and Motels)

alkie_traveller

Hi all,
I am doing camino ingles on 2 april starting from ferrol. Read from this forum that weather is pretty bad now? Hope its get better when there.

This is my very first camino and i am not sure how fast or far i can go. Planning to stay in hotel/motels. Do i have to book them in advance. Understand that albergue and hostel are easily available, but are hotels/motels easily available too (during april)? All help and advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you book in advance, you will have peace of mind, know that you can take the stage at your own pace as there will be a guaranteed bed ahead and if something goes wrong you can cancel the booking with a day's notice.

Plenty of rooms available for April 2 onwards on booking.com and venere.com still.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,
I am doing camino ingles on 2 april starting from ferrol. Read from this forum that weather is pretty bad now? Hope its get better when there.

This is my very first camino and i am not sure how fast or far i can go. Planning to stay in hotel/motels. Do i have to book them in advance. Understand that albergue and hostel are easily available, but are hotels/motels easily available too (during april)? All help and advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi - as has been said there won't be to many others around and hostal accommodation should be readily available. Download an on line guide here on the forum - just click the button Camino Resources at the top of the page. It will help you plan your distances and gives pretty up to date information on hostal accommodation.

Take good rain gear!

John

Alkie, try the albergues to connect with fellow travellers and use the hotels just a day here and there to get a private and very rewarding bath.

Hanging with your fellows pilgrims is an amazing draw of the Camino, you'll love it. Remember to keep an open mind.

My 30 days on the Camino last May/June are still with me each and every day 10 months later.

Thanks to all for the wonderful answers useful advices.

How about the meals (i.e. lunch)? I know that for dinner, would probably have reach the stop for the night and hence no issues.
How about lunch? Do i have to bring my own dry rations (i.e.bread) while walking? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will not have problems finding food on the Ingles, except perhaps on the stage to Bruma. It would be best to carry your lunch on that stretch. As said above accommodation should not be a problem, especially if you stay in Pontedueme, Betzanos and Seguiro. At Bruma you have the option of the Bruma Albergue (where you can have a meal delivered from a local restaurant) or places at Meson de Nova. As I have no idea of your fitness levels and intended stage lengths, may I suggest you explore the Bar Julia/Meson de Nova transport option.

Thanks to all for the wonderful answers useful advices.

How about the meals (i.e. lunch)? I know that for dinner, would probably have reach the stop for the night and hence no issues.
How about lunch? Do i have to bring my own dry rations (i.e.bread) while walking? Thanks.
You may find that it is convenient to have lunch in your pack. You can stop any time and any place. Buy bread fresh daily; it may dry out in a day. Cheese, sausage, and meat are available in all the little shops. Meat should be consumed fairly promptly. Canned foods like tuna and pate make a good lunch. Bananas keep your potassium level up, and other fruit generally keeps well. Merchants do not want you to handle the produce, so ask for help in the markets. Point to what you want if you are about to get an aging apple!! On the theory that yogurt is produced at room temperature or higher, I buy yogurt and keep it several days in my pack. The squeamish may not want to do that. Eggs are sold in a four-pack, so you can boil them in the evening and have hard boiled eggs for protein. I keep them several days in my pack against all the safe food handling recommendations. I would not do that if I punctured the shell to hard boil them.

Buen provecho.

You will not have problems finding food on the Ingles, except perhaps on the stage to Bruma. It would be best to carry your lunch on that stretch. As said above accommodation should not be a problem, especially if you stay in Pontedueme, Betzanos and Seguiro. At Bruma you have the option of the Bruma Albergue (where you can have a meal delivered from a local restaurant) or places at Meson de Nova. As I have no idea of your fitness levels and intended stage lengths, may I suggest you explore the Bar Julia/Meson de Nova transport option.
Thanks alot for the advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You may find that it is convenient to have lunch in your pack. You can stop any time and any place. Buy bread fresh daily; it may dry out in a day. Cheese, sausage, and meat are available in all the little shops. Meat should be consumed fairly promptly. Canned foods like tuna and pate make a good lunch. Bananas keep your potassium level up, and other fruit generally keeps well. Merchants do not want you to handle the produce, so ask for help in the markets. Point to what you want if you are about to get an aging apple!! On the theory that yogurt is produced at room temperature or higher, I buy yogurt and keep it several days in my pack. The squeamish may not want to do that. Eggs are sold in a four-pack, so you can boil them in the evening and have hard boiled eggs for protein. I keep them several days in my pack against all the safe food handling recommendations. I would not do that if I punctured the shell to hard boil them.

Buen provecho.
muchas gracia falcon269 :)

We have just returned from this route and stayed in hostels, we did not book in advance apart from Meson Novo who I phoned a few days before we started. Meals were never a problem apart from the day from Betanzos to Meson when we did carry food to eat during the day but had something to eat in the evening at meson Novo. Bar Julia on this stretch is not always open and does not open until about 1pm. Bar Vizono was closed and think this may be permanently closed. Perhaps JW could confirm this. It was very quiet and we only saw one other peregrino who stayed in the alburgues. The weather was wet at times but otherwise ideal walking conditions.

We have just returned from this route and stayed in hostels, we did not book in advance apart from Meson Novo who I phoned a few days before we started. Meals were never a problem apart from the day from Betanzos to Meson when we did carry food to eat during the day but had something to eat in the evening at meson Novo. Bar Julia on this stretch is not always open and does not open until about 1pm. Bar Vizono was closed and think this may be permanently closed. Perhaps JW could confirm this. It was very quiet and we only saw one other peregrino who stayed in the alburgues. The weather was wet at times but otherwise ideal walking conditions.

thanks for the update madrid12. hopefully weather will not be wet when i start walking next week :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yup sure, will try to do so. Talking about which, is wifi readily available at the hotels along the ingles?
Wifi is available at nearly all hotels but some hotel modems has a limited range and those on the upper floors or at the end of corridors will receive a very weak (if any) signal. It could be solved with them installing a Euro 50 router. The easiest solution is to go down to the reception or dining room to access wifi. Hospedería San Martín Pinario has this problem, you will see their cafe filled with people using laptops and smartphones and few drinking the very expensive drinks. In general wifi is readily available along the camino, and free at most bars and restaurants, some pretty fast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wifi is available at nearly all hotels but some hotel modems has a limited range and those on the upper floors or at the end of corridors will receive a very weak (if any) signal. It could be solved with them installing a Euro 50 router. The easiest solution is to go down to the reception or dining room to access wifi. Hospedería San Martín Pinario has this problem, you will see their cafe filled with people using laptops and smartphones and few drinking the very expensive drinks. In general wifi is readily available along the camino, and free at most bars and restaurants, some pretty fast.
Where is hospedería san Martín Pinario situated ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back