• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book or not to book ahead post Covid?

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
So, I'm having my pack carried, so I have a rough idea of where I'm going to be staying each night, but I haven't booked where I'm staying each night yet. Part of that is because I plan to stay in a mix of Albergues and Casa Rural/Hostels, and part of that is because I'm not even sure of where to make those reservations. On my past two Caminos, even when I was having my pack carried on, I usually just showed up in the town and found a place to stay. Should I be more proactive about pre-booking my lodgings?

Ruth

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are shipping you pack ahead, you will need to book. I would use Booking.com

As said above, you'll need to book if you're shipping bags ahead, but while booking.com is very useful, it's also very limited. In general, only the higher end places will list rooms on booking.com. The less expensive hotels and pensions, as well as the private albergues are often not on booking.com. Brierley, Gronze and the good apps, like Wisely / Wise Pilgrim will give you a wider range of places to choose from and you can easily call ahead a day or two in advance, or send them an email. If your Spanish is limited, just use google translate for emails. Also, booking.com only gets a limited number of rooms, so sometimes a place is listed as sold out when it really isn't. Nevertheless, booking.com is very useful, and I use it a lot myself. No need to limit yourself to it, though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As said above, you'll need to book if you're shipping bags ahead, but while booking.com is very useful, it's also very limited. In general, only the higher end places will list rooms on booking.com. The less expensive hotels and pensions, as well as the private albergues are often not on booking.com. Brierley, Gronze and the good apps, like Wisely / Wise Pilgrim will give you a wider range of places to choose from and you can easily call ahead a day or two in advance, or send them an email. If your Spanish is limited, just use google translate for emails. Also, booking.com only gets a limited number of rooms, so sometimes a place is listed as sold out when it really isn't. Nevertheless, booking.com is very useful, and I use it a lot myself. No need to limit yourself to it, though.
I would agree with your assessment of Booking, but still useful in a pinch.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app and they give links to the albergues websites/phone #s as well as a link to Booking. At one small albergue they told me if I canceled by Booking reservation they give me a room and would take 8 euros off the price :)

...."If your Spanish is limited, just use google translate for emails."
Google Translate is about the worst translation on the planet, Instead use deepl.com, the best!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Google Translate is about the worst translation on the planet, Instead use deepl.com, the best!
Good to know.

I use SpanishDict a lot because it gives you several translation options. However that's probably only useful if you know enough Spanish to determine which is the best translation.

I used the Wise Pilgrim app and they give links to the albergues websites/phone #s as well as a link to Booking. At one small albergue they told me if I canceled by Booking reservation they give me a room and would take 8 euros off the price :)
I strongly advice to avoid booking.com, although I use it when I have no option. The reason: They collect a fat sum from the albergues/hostals for each reservation they bring in. I have no problem about using them for hotel bookings (rarely).

And by all means: Booking.com is much better, pricewise, than f.ex. hotels.com IMHO, but nevertheless, I want to funnel as much as possibe of my retirement pension directly to the locals.

Having the Wise Pilgrim app on your phone is far better, showing alternative places that are also not on booking.com. You will get lower prices by phoning them directly, and they will still make more money from your stay. It is a Win/Win for you and the locals.

Teach yourself a few words on how to make a reservation in Spanish. It will save you money, better spent on cold beers in the heat.

Edit: As said above: Booking.com has some places in each town on their list; it is my impression that Wise Pilgrim has all places on its list.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I am walking from Lisbon to Porto at the moment (currently half way). I've seen just 2 other pilgrims and everywhere I've stayed so far has had plenty of room available. But on the other hand, the municipal albergues have been closed so there are fewer accommodation options. For what it's worth I have booked ahead for all nights just to be sure - but now I'm here I reckon you'd be ok booking 2 or 3 days ahead. But one caveat- things can change fast and I'm told numbers of pilgrims are rising. Bom Caminho.

If your Spanish is limited, just use google translate for emails.

Good to know.

I use SpanishDict a lot because it gives you several translation options. However that's probably only useful if you know enough Spanish to determine which is the best translation.

Could be a bit tricky until one reaches the border! This thread is about walking the Portuguese ;)

For translation of sentences i would recommend deepl.com over Google, its very good for context.
Individual words SpanishDict or WordReference can be useful. Actually the latter can be good for those colloquialisms where you understand each individual word but not the phrase!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a professional translator I agree.

For translation of sentences i would recommend deepl.com over Google, its very good for context.
Individual words SpanishDict or WordReference can be useful. Actually the latter can be good for those colloquialisms where you understand each individual word but not the phrase!

As a professional translator I agree.

It is true you will need something for colloquialisms. Because you are going to get a lot of them if you use Spanish in Portugal! (This thread is posted in .... Camino Portuguese Central).

It is true you will need something for colloquialisms. Because you are going to get a lot of them if you use Spanish in Portugal! (See thread title).
I can't vouch particularly for Spanish or Portuguese, especially if you are trying to use the wrong language in the wrong country, but deepL is very good at colloquialisms in French and German, better than Google. Of course the Camino portugués does go through Spain too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I strongly advice to avoid booking.com, although I use it when I have no option. The reason: They collect a fat sum from the albergues/hostals for each reservation they bring in. I have no problem about using them for hotel bookings (rarely).

And by all means: Booking.com is much better, pricewise, than f.ex. hotels.com IMHO, but nevertheless, I want to funnel as much as possibe of my retirement pension directly to the locals.

Having the Wise Pilgrim app on your phone is far better, showing alternative places that are also not on booking.com. You will get lower prices by phoning them directly, and they will still make more money from your stay. It is a Win/Win for you and the locals.

Teach yourself a few words on how to make a reservation in Spanish. It will save you money, better spent on cold beers in the heat.

Edit: As said above: Booking.com has some places in each town on their list; it is my impression that Wise Pilgrim has all places on its list.
Does the Wise Pilgrim app update the status of each lodging whether they are open or not during this time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is true you will need something for colloquialisms. Because you are going to get a lot of them if you use Spanish in Portugal! (This thread is posted in .... Camino Portuguese Central).
Deepl is available for Portuguese although i haven't used it for that (usually use it for Spanish and German). I thought WordReference was available for other languages but perhaps not.... Apologies i didn't realise this thread was solely focussed on Portugal/Portuguese.

Edit - just checked my apo and yes WordReference is available for Portuguese<-->English AND Portuguese<-->Spanish

We've walked all three camino frances' in Sept - Oct. The last two caminos (2019, 2017) have been jammed with pilgrims causing entire towns to be "completo" by early afternoon. I'm guessing this fall will be the same. For example, I just signed onto Booking.com and checked for available beds / rooms in Zubari on a random date (Sept 2 which is a Thursday night) and there were no beds / rooms available that night.

Last edited:
So, I'm having my pack carried, so I have a rough idea of where I'm going to be staying each night, but I haven't booked where I'm staying each night yet. Part of that is because I plan to stay in a mix of Albergues and Casa Rural/Hostels, and part of that is because I'm not even sure of where to make those reservations. On my past two Caminos, even when I was having my pack carried on, I usually just showed up in the town and found a place to stay. Should I be more proactive about pre-booking my lodgings?

Ruth
Regardless of whether you use Booking.com etc, or go direct, be aware that the break in opportunities to walk the Camino will lead to an increased demand. This was evident when I tried to reserve a bed at a private albergue on the Meseta at the very end of August and was told that it was completely full, due to one booking for the entire place. I have found a room at a hotel for a higher price (naturally) but worth thinking about,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
when I tried to reserve a bed at a private albergue on the Meseta at the very end of August and was told that it was completely full, due to one booking for the entire place.
Was it during the summer of 2020? You seem to have walked a "pandemic" camino. Very valuable bits of information.

The August in question is 2021. I did walk some of the Camino in 2020 and it was really good, albeit relatively quiet.

Ruth
I am booking because of this virus and because i will be sending my pack whenever i feel like it. Like you said i would just enjoy it too to show up and look for a place that i took a pic, checked the vibe etc... but with this situation and being a first timer i decided to cut a little on the level of adventure, which by the way is what i like, adventure. Do what will be more comfortable and safer for you. To book i am using booking.com, emails, text and Gronze.com and keeping track of this All is a bit time consuming but in the end it is for a dream. So its worth. I have to say that booking.com makes the tracking part much easier and organized. I hope this helps in anything but this is what the newbie here is doing.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back